MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Where did you install MSD Ignition box? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=49879)

musclejunky33 07-16-2007 03:52 PM

Where did you install MSD Ignition box?

Hi. I was just wondering where the best place to install an MSD 6 box along with a Vortec/MSD Boost Controller box would be. I have a basically stock 5.0 with a 6psi Powerdyne. I would prefer not to relocate the battery or install a power pipe (at this time). Any suggestions / pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

USMC302 07-18-2007 03:58 PM

Re: Where did you install MSD Ignition box?

Well as you figured, the battery relocation would give great space for the mounting of both boxes, but I have seen the boxes mounted on the inside of the car, on the passenger side floor board. Out of the way of course for riders..You can pick up a Marine battery box ( for boats) and get the wire from home depot instead of buying a battery relocation kit, save you some money.

musclejunky33 07-18-2007 04:27 PM

USMC302, Semper Fi and thanks for the response. I am mulling over the battery relocation as I want to keep the wiring as short as possible. I occasionally carry my golf clubs in the trunk, which is why I am hesitant to go that route. Is there any particular reason to go with the passanger side instead of the driver's side (under the seat) if I decide to go that route?

USMC302 07-18-2007 04:32 PM

Semper Fi! I actually play on the golf team here for my unit, shot two over par yesterday..Anyway I wouldn't go under the seat, the MSD boxes sometimes can get really hot, plus any changes or maintenance is gonna be a pain then...I wish my golf car had 6 lbs of boost lol! I've actually been golfing with the stang too and just threw them in the front seat and the walker in the back. I'll try to find a picture of where I'm recommending....

musclejunky33 07-18-2007 04:38 PM

I have an extra S/C (in Parts) for that Golf Cart Project!! Let me know when you want to get started with that! HAHAHA.

Seriously though, pictures would be awesome! The biggest thing I am running up against is making sure that it is accessible for initial adjustments. The Vortech/MSD box I have has the remote boost/timing retard dial, but it also has a timing advance feature. Any suggestions on what initial setting I should use?

bailey_57 07-23-2007 10:57 PM

I too have been looking for a long time for a good place to mount my MSD6 box. 2 weeks ago i figured it out. I cut out the bottom of my air box and mounted it beneath. Granted my car has the cervini's ram air kit, but it worked out perfectly. i think you could probably put the timing dial on the inner fender where the maf bracket is located. i removed my bracket(lighter is faster) lol.

musclejunky33 07-24-2007 08:30 AM

Bailey_57, Thanks for responding. I had looked at mounting on the passenger side, with the install of a power pipe - which would clean things up quite a bit - but decided that I really want to keep the wiring as short as possible. I saw a picture on another forum where the guy fabricated a bracket to mount the MSD6 above/along side the coil - vertically along side the battery. I think this would accomplish what I am looking for and looked pretty clean. I think I will be able to mount the Boost/Timing box inside the cab where USMC302 suggested. Thanks again for the suggestions!