MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   buying an older paxton blower fri? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=50775)

bailey_57 03-26-2009 10:16 PM

buying an older paxton blower fri?

I'm considering purchasing a blower from a guy for 700 dollars. He didn't give me the model number or the mileage. All he could tell me is it made 5 pounds when he had it installed and that its one of the older ball bearing paxtons. I don't know what to look for or even if thats a good price. The kit is complete, so what do you guys think. i'll post a pic of the head unit. as far as inspection what should i look for. obviously i need to spin the pulley but how tight or loose should it be? what noises are normal what are not?

bailey_57 03-26-2009 10:20 PM

Re: buying an older paxton blower fri?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 5405
here it is guys what do you think?

StangFlyer 03-26-2009 11:00 PM

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I would at least go with a NOVI 1200/1500/2000, Vortech, or a ProCharger unit at this point. I'd even get a nitrous system over an old ball drive Paxton. It looks like its seen some heavy, extended use from the photo too. I am not sure what your cash situation looks like, but if you can't immediately up the anti to one of the above I'd stick the $700 aside and keep adding to it until you can swing a new or even a used, more modern style system.

Any ways, I am commenting on this as someone who ran a ball drive Paxton for several years on a 302, and then went to a NOVI 2000 that I still have today on a 377 stroker in my 91 GT. I've also run various Nitrous systems back in the day.

bailey_57 03-28-2009 07:13 PM

impulse won! i bought it so i'll let you guys know how i make out. from the serial number i am assuming it is a sn92 model. everything is there for installation. i already have a 76mm c&l mass air meter and 30 lb injectors. do i need to use the fmu with this? also do i need to change my spark plugs. what are some good boost guages to run? thanks guys you always have good advice.

StangFlyer 04-01-2009 07:54 PM

Whelp, guess that's that then! :D

What I would do is not run an FMU, but use the 30 lb injects with a boost sensitive fuel regulator and have your car chip tuned on a chassis dyno by an experienced EEC / Mustang tuner (i.e. burn a chip). This way you'll deliver the appropriate fuel ratio controlled by your computer.

I think I have an autometer boost guage.

bailey_57 04-29-2009 03:24 PM

well i bought the blower and figured out how it bolts up for the most part. i want to change the fluid before i use it. Does anyone know how much the SN92 takes. is a kirban adj fpr boost sensitive? thanks.