View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Simi Stang

Default plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
What is the impact of running colder plugs when not pushing nitrous?
Nothing that I know of. Your spark is just burning a little colder, is about all. I run plugs that are two steps colder than stock on my '90 GT. I have a 150hp dry kit and love it. I rarely use it on the street. Once in a blue moon to give someone a serious thrill ride...or back when I had my stock motor in there & I was a little younger...I used to set up races against old muscle cars with big blocks & me on the juice. But I mainly just use it at the track. The fuel cut off switch that people keep mentioning is usually included in all dry kits. I'm not that familiar with wet kits...but I'd imagine they would have something similar...that takes some of the guess work out of setting up your fuel system and provides a bit of protection for your motor. DEFINITELY get a bigger fuel pump...one or two steps colder plugs...retard your timing 2 degrees for every 50hp of nitrous...and invest in an aftermarket ignition to help burn up all that extra fuel that the nitrous allows into the combustion chamber. You could also look into an ignition system that has a timing retard function built into the box...or a seperate timing computer that is compatible. That way...when the nitrous solenoids are activated...your timing is automatically retarded to your designated setting. Good luck...and let us know what you end up doing.