View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 02:36 AM   #12
procharge94
Registered Member

Default Re: FMU or REGULATOR?

How new are the plugs? Unless you WANT to be running very rich, you won't dirty the plugs immediately. Admitedly, you are probably running on the lean side. But, that does not mean you are running too lean. Lean is mean. Do you have any sort of air/fuel gauge to use? I'm not sure how hard you are driving the car, but if you are NOT hearing any sort of pinging or detonation, you should be ok. The stock bottom end will hold your amount of power no problem, even without a dyno tune. I think your next step is either to have the car dyno tuned or fork out the money for a wideband. Without either, you are playing a guessing game.

Now this is where my view differs from some v-8 owners. Because these cars, mustangs in particular, are able to make a good amount of power very easily with some simple bolt ons, many people choose to go no farther. They tune the car themselves to make sure they are not running too lean, and then leave it be. Well, I feel that many people could squeeze out more overall power, not to mention improve their area under the curve. A custom chip created for a car on a dyno is going to give new fuel maps, not to mention some nice options that can be toyed with according to driving style. Rpm's can be set to hang for a set amount of time between shifts, timing can be pulled or advanced, and so on.

If you want to be serious about being fast, you need to be serious about how you get there. Just a weekend racer? Not a big deal to tune it yourself. BUT, if you want to start smoking some people down with more serious setups, look into having your setup fine tuned on a dyno.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote