Thread: I want nitrous!
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2001, 01:21 PM   #9
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Just so everyone knows I'm not trying to flame anyone. Just trying to help people understand what they are getting into. Don't you think that if these kits were so safe everyone would have them?

In my book wet nitrous kits are only good in two forms. One on a carborated car because intake runners are short and there is very little to no way for fuel to puddle up. Second is a direct port or fogger set up because it is injected at the end of the intake runner going into the head.

The only way to go on fuel injected cars is a dry kit. A dry kit injects nitrous only which flows with the air. Additional fuel is provided by increasing fuel pressure thus more fuel out of the injectors. This eliminates fuel in the intake and has shown on dyno's to make better power than wet kits.

On the 96-98 cars you can use a regular dry kit and it works fine but the 99-01 have the returnless fuel system and fuel pressure is regulated at the fuel pump. When it comes to a bran new car that costs $20K+ I would wait for a highly reputable company to release a kit that has been tested and they stand behind. I think the only way it would work properly is with a switch chip that increases fuel when the kit is activated, that same chip should pull approximately 2 degrees of timing for every 100HP of nitrous.

JMS has recently released a nitrous kit which is nothing more than a kit from Compucar and is a dry kit. What they do is put a nitrous fogger nozzle in front of the MAM and it picks up the additional air flow and compensates for it at the injectors. The kit they sell also comes with a custom switch chip to pull timing an add extra fuel to be safe plus comes with a heat range cooler spark plug. I was going to buy that kit but with the type of racing I do I need a car that can be set up to be more consistant. So I'm going with a blower, I've had plenty of nitrous cars but never a blower so I'm trying something new.

By the way our motors will never handle more than a 150 shot due to the poor pistons in them. My 92 had stock cast pistons which can handle some detonation, the hyperpathatic pistons we have break very easily.

I'd suggest if your dying for a nitrous kit right away try JMS and keep the shot small like a 75. They have had great results from it but I personally wouldn't install one until I've seen it in action for a while with no problems.
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote