MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-04-2002, 09:10 PM   #1
StangGT02
Registered Member

Question Opinions on performance enhancement

Ok first off I have a 2002 Mustang GT, it the 4.6L automatic premium version if that makes any difference. Im lookin for any performance enhancers that can help with boosting Horsepower and torque. So far all I have is a K&N air filter that i just bought, havent even put it on yet. Assuming that i have a cash flow that is pretty good what kinds of things can be added to the car. If you really wanna help me out part numbers would be really cool but dont worry bout it unless you feel like being generous

Thanks all cant wait to hear some of these ideas!!
StangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:28 PM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Best bang for the buck is a power adder...nitrous, supercharger, turbos..if you can afford it. For the basic bolt on...gears, pulleys, timing adjuster, exhaust, intake...oh, and of course, Steeda Tri-Ax. Basically anything goes, visit some sites for information.
If you go with a power adder, plan on beefing up the auto.
www.steeda.com
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:36 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I also have an automatic GT, and have gone the "bolt-on" route. Meaning I have done all the little things to increase performance, like exhaust, gears, chip, etc etc. If I were back in my original position, though, as you are, all I would do would be slap a Vortech Supercharger kit on it, get a good dyno tune, and finish off the combo with a cat-back exhaust and some Drag Radials. It may be costly, but trust me, this is THE best way to achieve good performance easily.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
StangGT02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Mustang Gt 46
Best bang for the buck is a power adder...nitrous, supercharger, turbos..if you can afford it. For the basic bolt on...gears, pulleys, timing adjuster, exhaust, intake...oh, and of course, Steeda Tri-Ax. Basically anything goes, visit some sites for information.
If you go with a power adder, plan on beefing up the auto.
www.steeda.com

What do you mean by beefing up the auto? Changing the whole transmission to a manual? Yea i guess manuals might be fun to drive and all but ive heard that with an upgraded computer chip you can get just as good of performance. About adding the nitros, ive read that there is a part on the GT engine that is plastic or some material that cant handle that kind of pressure...Any other ideas? O yea and whats up with the Tri-ax i read up on that some and isnt that something for a manual car?
Old 05-04-2002, 10:10 PM   #5
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

tri-ax is for manuals only i believe. when you put the air filter in unscrew the little bolt holding the whole box on and take off the silencer. its that little thing thats rubber and in a conical shape its a few inches long. its not gonna give ya 100 hp or nothin but it will help with the flow of air. if nitrous is done right you will be ok make sure to get a good shop to but it in. i started with exhaust (2 chmber flows off-road H-pipe). i also love my 4.10 gears. but if you have the money get the supercharger. i personally like the saleen series II or series V. take your time and decide what is best for you. check around for prices and make sure you know what your gettin into b-4 you buy anything
HAPPY HUNTING youll enjoy the ride

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Mstngscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 11:04 PM   #6
StangGT02
Registered Member

If I do get a supercharger system then what all does that replace for me? I know it comes with the head part the actual turbine thing but what else would it come with and is there anything that it would prevent me from installing? any parts later or already come with some of those lesser parts that you put on?
Old 05-05-2002, 04:42 AM   #7
esandes
Registered Member

Default New gears

Bud, I'm glad you asked that question. The best bang for the buck mods for autos are:
-3.73 or 4.10 diff.
-A chip.

Try both for less than $500 and thank me later.
esandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:47 AM   #8
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Default Auto

Quote:
What do you mean by beefing up the auto? Changing the whole transmission to a manual?

You can beef up the 4R70W with internal components and make stronger than it already is... Sprags, Clutches, Diodes, modifications to the circuitry inside the casing, TCC, etc... Check out this site, they do a lot of AODE/4R70W, and they take 5spds out of Mustangs to put in the much stronger 4R70W....

http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodecat.htm

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:09 AM   #9
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

The 4R70W will handle up to 400 hp/400 ft #'s. I don't think that beefing up his trans is something that needs to be done right away.
I'd start with gears, high flow cat H or X-pipe, and a bigger MAF. They should help drop about 4 tenths off your 1/4 and will still be used if and when you add a power adder. If you don't plan on a power adder, then your second round of mods you can throw on a set of underdrive pulleys, a catback or mufflers, and a chip.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 11:38 AM   #10
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

he saleen supercharger comes with everything you need to get going. intercooler, fuel injectors, custom burned saleen chip, MAF, and it is a roots blower. meaning its belt driven and mounts to the top of the engine. this supercharger mkes the hp in lower rpms compared to the higher rpm hp from a vortech. this is also quieter and allows you to run more like a sleeper

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Mstngscoob is offline   Reply With Quote