MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Shadowlands
Twin Turbo Junkie

Default Team Performance twin turbo Mustang runs 10.88/128 mph

We installed the new Team Performance Products twin turbo system on my 2007 Mustang GT just in time for the Fun Ford Weekend series opener in Orlando. With no other modifications at all the car ran 11.75 at 124 mph. The sixty foot clockings were very poor due ot the fact that I could not spool the turbos on the starting line. So.....we decided after Orlando to replace the stock torque converter with a new Precision Industries 3500 triple disc unit to get closer to turbo spool on the starting line. While I'm still about 500 rpm shy of where we need to be......it helped! Managed to run this in Bakersfield last weekend during the West Coast Hot Rod Association race.

60' = 1.760

330' = 4.635

660' = 7.034 @ 102.01

1000' = 9.122

1320' = 10.887 @ 127.89

I can not thank the guys at Team Performance Products/Exile Turbo Systems enough for the power they have given me with this car. We need to have the converter loosened another 500 rpm or so and get the tune finalized but this thing is an animal. The previous best runs this weekend (11.11 and 11.09) were all performed with me deep staging the car. While this is great for reaction times it damn sure kills elapsed time. When I asked for one more run I tried really hard to shallow stage the car but it did creep about three inches or so on me. Still.....a ten second car with nothing but a twin turbo kit and a small converter. The mph shows what the car is capable of running.

We are going to get another converter this week and have this one reworked as a backup unit. Then....a new tune along with the required pieces for sub-10 second runs and we're in business. Everyone involved with this car feels that 10.60's are not out of the question at the FFW Houston race. If it keeps the rods inside the block, that is.

Here are some things to think about......

Why Team Performance/Exile Turbo Systems?
While this kit might be higher priced that other kits on the market the engineering, installation, and equipment is second to none. Designed by Rick Head of Exile Turbo Systems to be the most powerful kit available today. The turbos in this kit are Garrett GT2871-R twin ball bearing units that can support up to 900 hp if you've got the engine and fuel system. No changing turbos down the road if you want to turn the boost up. The system is covered by a carbon fiber belly pan that attaches to the frame rails with Dzus fasteners. This keeps road debris and water out of the turbo inlet air filters. Plus.....it hides the turbos. Stealth.....nice on the streets.

Installation Nightmare?
Not with this kit. The installation is completely bolt on. No cutting, fabrication, welding, or hacking of the frame/engine bay is necesary. Even the stock exhaust system bolts directly to the kit. If you have a good floor jack, four jack stands, and an average set of hand tools you can install this kit at home in one weekend. I've done it. There will also be a complete installation article coming up in one of the major Mustang magazines so you can see for yourself just how easily the kit installs.

Tuning
The as-delivered tune is 90% spot on. Tune can be provided with either an SCT or Diablosport tuner. We have the SCT software controlling my car. I have some additional tuning to do for racing but the street setup is good. Mine is even milder than the delivered tunes since it was done as a test car. I've got 10 degrees total timing at wide open throttle and look how it runs.

Driving the car
Daily driving is similar to stock unless you press the pedal down. Currently getting 20 mpg in town and 25 on the highway. You honestly do not know the turbos are there unless you accelerate past 2500 rpm. Once they spool though you better know what you're doing behind the wheel. I can break the tires loose at 65 mph with no problems. Done it.

Additional Modifications
While there were none necessary for the turbo kit installation we did add a Precision Industries 3500 rpm converter for racing in FFW, NMRA, and WCHRA. I need an additional 500 rpm or so but that will come easily enough. We also added an 8 pt roll bar for NHRA/IHRA reasons. We knew the car would run quicker than 11.50 but had no idea the 10's were going to be so easy. I still have the stock cat back and mufflers on the car. For driving the car on the street and random jaunts down the racetrack......nothing else is needed with this kit. Except really big balls.

I promise to have pictures shortly. I did take quite a few this weekend but my camera ended up in the car when it went back to the Team Performance shop on Sunday evening. Damnit.
10.887 @ 127.89
Team Performance Products
Exile Turbo
M&H Tires
T-Shirt Hell...badass t-shirts!
What are TorsoPants?

Why kill them with kindness when you can use an axe?
Shadowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Default Re: Team Performance twin turbo Mustang runs 10.88/128 mph

nice its still a bit lazy off the line,another converter change would help
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: