MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
musclejunky33
Registered Member

Default Where did you install MSD Ignition box?

Hi. I was just wondering where the best place to install an MSD 6 box along with a Vortec/MSD Boost Controller box would be. I have a basically stock 5.0 with a 6psi Powerdyne. I would prefer not to relocate the battery or install a power pipe (at this time). Any suggestions / pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
musclejunky33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Where did you install MSD Ignition box?

Well as you figured, the battery relocation would give great space for the mounting of both boxes, but I have seen the boxes mounted on the inside of the car, on the passenger side floor board. Out of the way of course for riders..You can pick up a Marine battery box ( for boats) and get the wire from home depot instead of buying a battery relocation kit, save you some money.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
musclejunky33
Registered Member

USMC302, Semper Fi and thanks for the response. I am mulling over the battery relocation as I want to keep the wiring as short as possible. I occasionally carry my golf clubs in the trunk, which is why I am hesitant to go that route. Is there any particular reason to go with the passanger side instead of the driver's side (under the seat) if I decide to go that route?
1991 SSP LX 5.0 Coupe (former Nebraska State Patrol Car). Stock 5.0 Block. Stock T-5. 130,000 miles. 73mm C&L MAF, 6psi Powerdyne, 65mm BBK TB, 24lb Injectors, FMS Shorty Headers, Smog Delete, Off Road Full MAC exhaust, Full length Sub Frame Connectors, FMS Alum. Drive Shaft, 3.27 gears, MSD Ignition with Boost/Timing Control, 03 Mach 1 front and matching rear seats.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Semper Fi! I actually play on the golf team here for my unit, shot two over par yesterday..Anyway I wouldn't go under the seat, the MSD boxes sometimes can get really hot, plus any changes or maintenance is gonna be a pain then...I wish my golf car had 6 lbs of boost lol! I've actually been golfing with the stang too and just threw them in the front seat and the walker in the back. I'll try to find a picture of where I'm recommending....
Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
musclejunky33
Registered Member

I have an extra S/C (in Parts) for that Golf Cart Project!! Let me know when you want to get started with that! HAHAHA.

Seriously though, pictures would be awesome! The biggest thing I am running up against is making sure that it is accessible for initial adjustments. The Vortech/MSD box I have has the remote boost/timing retard dial, but it also has a timing advance feature. Any suggestions on what initial setting I should use?
1991 SSP LX 5.0 Coupe (former Nebraska State Patrol Car). Stock 5.0 Block. Stock T-5. 130,000 miles. 73mm C&L MAF, 6psi Powerdyne, 65mm BBK TB, 24lb Injectors, FMS Shorty Headers, Smog Delete, Off Road Full MAC exhaust, Full length Sub Frame Connectors, FMS Alum. Drive Shaft, 3.27 gears, MSD Ignition with Boost/Timing Control, 03 Mach 1 front and matching rear seats.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
bailey_57
Registered Member

I too have been looking for a long time for a good place to mount my MSD6 box. 2 weeks ago i figured it out. I cut out the bottom of my air box and mounted it beneath. Granted my car has the cervini's ram air kit, but it worked out perfectly. i think you could probably put the timing dial on the inner fender where the maf bracket is located. i removed my bracket(lighter is faster) lol.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
musclejunky33
Registered Member

Bailey_57, Thanks for responding. I had looked at mounting on the passenger side, with the install of a power pipe - which would clean things up quite a bit - but decided that I really want to keep the wiring as short as possible. I saw a picture on another forum where the guy fabricated a bracket to mount the MSD6 above/along side the coil - vertically along side the battery. I think this would accomplish what I am looking for and looked pretty clean. I think I will be able to mount the Boost/Timing box inside the cab where USMC302 suggested. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: