MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-27-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Question questions for beginner

Hey there, I have recently become interested in getting a Fox body Mustang 5.0. I now own a Nissan 240sx, but have the need for MORE speed. I am starting to learn about Mustangs, and would appreciate your answers to my questions. I checked on AutoTrader, and it shows '90-92 Mustang 5.0's as having 225 horses, but the '93 has only 215... is this accurate? Also, which years and models come with power options (windows)? LX, GT, both? Thanks in advance.

Angelo
GreeceLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 06:33 PM   #2
JD93GT
Registered Member

To answer your first question, its commonly assumed that because the 93 5.0's were rated with less power that they are significantly slower. this is untrue. in 87 when ford changed the body style and the H.O. engine, they tested it for PEAK horsepower. Instead of testing each year after that, they just carried over the statistics. In 93, after a few changes had been made to the 5.0's of the past 6 years, they tested the 5.0 and changed the way they measured horsepower by measuring AVERAGE power, thus the lower numbers. But really there is almost no difference between 92, and 93. To answer your second question, all gt's came with power everything. Some lx's came with power windows and doors, you just have to find them.

------------------
'93 Gt, Stock as a rock, but plan an AOD to T-5z swap, steeda tri-ax shifter, 3.55's, cobra intake, ported E7TE heads, 1.7 rr's, bbk headers, off road h-pipe, magna flow 3" cat back, msd ignition, blaster coil, mac cold air box (fenderwell), eibach springs, chrome cobra r's, cobra rear bumper, saleen wing, mach 1 hood, etc...
JD93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 10:17 AM   #3
exgmguy
Registered Member

Stock the fastest ones were in 87-88. They were the speed density versions. There was no restrictive stock mass air meter to breathe through. The later mass air cars are more desirable though because drivability problems are not an issue with the mass air cars once modified.
In '93 they also went from TRW sourced forged pistons to Hypereutectic pistons.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
12.0 @ 122
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 11:17 AM   #4
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Question

Well I would like to supercharge the Mustang after purchasing it... so I guess you wouldn't recommend the 87-88's due to drivability issues? And you talk about the piston change... I know that forged are good, and I hadn't heard of hypereutectic up till a couple days ago. But I assumed that forged was better. Cause in the Summit Racing catalog, they are selling rebuild kits, the kit with forged pistons is $415 compared to $260 for the hyper... so if forged pistons are better, why would Ford downgrade in the newer year? Maybe someone can explain.

Angelo
Old 05-28-2001, 11:57 AM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

I dont think ford ever said exactly why they changed the pistons, but logic would suggest to save money. There are advantages to hyper pistons though, they dont expand with heat changes as much as forged, and therefore can run tighter clearances. And they can hold up fairly well under power adder conditions, although not as strong as forged.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

I think they changed them because they knew thar most mustang buyers were gonna.....shiznit. I really can't even take a guess.

------------------
Dustin
89 GT(Saleen Clone) 392 rwhp UNTUNED(TFS Intake, spacer,Heads and #2 cam, BD-11A 9#(only boosting 6???WTF),1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,FMS 70mm MAF,MSD 6BTM,FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes and H-Pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55 lots more...

12.564@118.49 on street tires is my best so far. Still untuned
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 01:06 PM   #7
GreeceLightning
Registered Member

Question

Hey Dustin, what brand supercharger is your BD-11a? Care to share any details about it as well... such as price, quality, performance gain, reliability/maintenance. Cause that's a fast ET, especially on street tires. Thanks.

Angelo