MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
sdd228
Registered Member

Default 125 shot?

im going to get some juice (dry kit) and was wondering what i need to get with the nitrous (better fuel pump etc.), to make sure my car runs good with it. everything is stock except for whats in my sig. i would like to put a 125 shot in her.
Nitto DR's 245/50R16
NOS hopefully 100 shot
sdd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

i wouldnt go dry ..but thats just me - get a cheater fuel solenoid and run a wet shot. 125 shot is ok for a stock block but its supposedly supposed to be able to take a 150 shot. gap ur plugs at .035 - you have to retard the timing as well ..back it up to 6 or 8
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
sdd228
Registered Member

if i may ask why would you go wet rather than dry, and what is the difference? is one better than the other for any reason? thanks for the response!
Nitto DR's 245/50R16
NOS hopefully 100 shot
sdd228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

have the fuel to accomodate for the increase in power = less wear and tear on the motor - if you dont spray fuel, you will run lean and lean isnt good :-D ..when i run mine i actually run it a little rich, i have a 53 pill for fuel and a 47 for nitrous just to be on the safe side. i also have an msd box with timing control so i can adjust the timing while im in the car when i spray
Old 08-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I agree, I dry shot will be a disaster without any additional fuel. You will be on a seriousl lean condition and blow that motor in a heartbeat. I have heard alot of good with the new spacer plate injections, and the TBI injections that have bother the wet and dry nozzles on them for addition fuel and the nos. it mounts in between your upper and lower intake as a spacer. Its in the 5.0 magazine.. I am sure alot of people use those setups. But definetly you'll be way to lean with a dry shot.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
1989GT
Registered Member

A dry shot will not be a disaster. In a dry kit the extra fuel comes from the boost in fuel pressure.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

What is going to cause a boost large enough on a " stock " motor to accomidate for the already lean from the factory fuel mixture? on a stock motor without a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, with a 125 dry shot, you'll lean that motor out and damage it. Do your reasearch on this. you will need more fuel pressure and fuel to run nitrous.. know fact.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
1989GT
Registered Member

Well of course you need more fuel to run nitrous oxide. Which on a dry kit means more fuel pressure. The extra pressure will come from either the nitrous kit telling the regulator or the kit telling the computer. And you don't need and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. There are a lot of people running 100-150 shot dry kits with no other mod than a bigger fuel pump.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
Old 08-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

even if the computer was told to have a more aggressive fuel curve id still say 125 would be a bit too much - 75 would sound right ..and when you are talkin about the fuel pressure boost are you talking about that little contraption(i dont know what its called) that takes the vacuum off the regulator to up pressure? if thats the case you would only see like an 8 pound boost in fuel pressure and i still dont think thats enough for 125
Old 08-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
1989GT
Registered Member

Alright the fuel pressure reg is set to a certain amount lets say 40 psi with 0 vac. As the vacumm increases the fuel pressure decreases because it's easier to spray into a vacumm. Hense less fuel pressure is required. Well when you spray nitrous the kit does the exact opposite of what normally happens it ups the pressure in that vac line to increase fuel pressure. Hope this makes sense.
-Ryan

My Car Domain Page
Old 08-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #11
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88fivepointoh
What is going to cause a boost large enough on a " stock " motor to accomidate for the already lean from the factory fuel mixture? on a stock motor without a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, with a 125 dry shot, you'll lean that motor out and damage it. Do your reasearch on this. you will need more fuel pressure and fuel to run nitrous.. know fact.
As goes for which kit is better...it all depends on the owner and his/her knowledge of "tune-up".

Yes.....when you spray any amount of Nitrious you will need to add an additional amount of fuel to compinsate. NOS makes a dry-kit. It is called a dry kit because it does not bring in any fuel into the plenum area, not because it doesn't bring in any fuel at all. The fuel is introduce by raising the fuel pressure to the injectors while the motor is inhaling the nitrious oxide only. It is normal to see the fuel pressure increase as much as 30-60 pounds additional over stock fuel pressure. This increase in fuel pressure is controlled with a mechanical device with a vacuum tee with jets when you purchase the Dry-Kit from NOS (kit number 5114 I believe.) The wet-kits introduce fuel and Nitrious into the engine at the same point or location of the Nitrious.
The BIG-Shot Plate is a good plate for the EFI cars too. Just a higher level and the lowest safe point is 150. It will go way past 400 H.P level with Plate Modifications.

1989 GT is right on the money.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #12
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

This increase in fuel pressure is controlled with a mechanical device with a vacuum tee with jets when you purchase the Dry-Kit from NOS (kit number 5114 I believe.)

thats what i was trying to describe although i didnt think you would get that much of a pressure increase from that alone...
Old 08-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #13
420nitro
Registered Member

you would be surprised on how high I have seen some of this kits go.

You can actually go as high as 300 shot on a dry kit!
Just need upgraded -6 lines, solinoids and injectors.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

i might consider changing now ..i dont know how big my lines are but i think i have -8 lines (i have the aeromotive kit on my car) right now i have the nozzle spraying in my intake going up into the throttle body
Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #15
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

The fact of the matter is, you need fuel system upgrades to compansate for the nos. you need a regulator from the kit, or a adjustable one to compansate for the nos. running a 125 shot on a stock motot with stock componets will damage your engine. your stock fuel pressure regualtor is set to 38lbs... and will not go any higher. you need to get the appropriate regulator for your application.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #16
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88fivepointoh
The fact of the matter is, you need fuel system upgrades to compansate for the nos. you need a regulator from the kit, or a adjustable one to compansate for the nos. running a 125 shot on a stock motot with stock componets will damage your engine. your stock fuel pressure regualtor is set to 38lbs... and will not go any higher. you need to get the appropriate regulator for your application.
Wrong..plain and simple.

NOS intro Kit was intended for the stock Mustang with STOCK components. Just call and ask NOS themselves.

When I ment -6 lines I meant a bigger nitrious line.
As goes for a bigger fuel system and adjustable regulator only makes sense to have but not needed at the 125 level or lower. I would recommend a larger in tank fuel pump but he already mentioned he had an Aeromotive fuel system.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:47 PM   #17
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

On a stock motor it is not recommended. As for my .02 cents i would never put nos on a stock motor without fuel modifications.. I have seen guys around here blow there motors weekly from the obsession of nos. NOS loves the business. The thread starter doesn't have any fuel mods at all, so i advice him to get a fuel pump and research what they recomend for his application. I should have asked earlier, how many miles are on this motor in which you want to spray? This could be the make it or break it question.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:54 PM   #18
420nitro
Registered Member

True....very true....155 liter pump and spray 125 and be in the safe zone with a correct tune-up.
My bad I thought he was the guy with the Aeromotive fuel system. Now I see he has nothing for a fuel system. Like mentioned before a 155 liter pump and nothing else would be needed, but an adjustable regulator would be nice to have too and a good set of head gaskets to boot to if possiable.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #19
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Yea, i thought there was some confusion on who we were talking about.. like i said though, i would like to know how many miles he has on his motor before even talking about 125 shot of nos
Old 08-08-2004, 11:34 PM   #20
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

ok going back to what we were originally talking about i agree with 88fivepointoh that the fact of the matter is regardless on how he sprays the fuel has to be upgraded