MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2001, 03:40 AM   #1
andrewgarland
Registered Member

Question Supercharger in a stock '95?

What do you really have to do to put a supercharger in a stock '95 GT? What parts (besides the supercharger) would I have to get/replace? And how much would a decent one for this car cost? Thanks guys...

Andy
andrewgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 10:11 AM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

I'm pretty sure that most kits you get (paxton, vortech, etc) come with just about everything you need. I have heard of people not having something they need, so see what other people here say, some of the companies have more complete kits but I don't know which ones.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 11:01 AM   #3
93lx
Registered Member

yeah the kit will come with everything you will need to put it in the car, but you might want to upgrade the valve springs, and fuel pump, thats what i am doing with mine, just the bare minimum, to get it to go. good luck.
93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 12:12 PM   #4
rbatson

Like the others said, they come with everything you need. You can get a good one for less than $3k. I would however suggest atleast adding headers.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:55 AM   #5
andrewgarland
Registered Member

What suggestions for brand would you guys have? I would think Paxton or Vortech right? Speaking mainly in terms of performance... Also, would it be good to do the headers and exhaust too? Thanks...
Old 02-26-2001, 01:59 AM   #6
rtz
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Definitely upgrade the headers and the exhaust.

As for which brand is better or the best, I'm still looking into that also.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 02:03 AM   #7
85muffstang
Registered Member

I know a few who have used the ATI procharger. They were more than happy, and boy did it make my buddies 94 cobra run like a raped ape. He couldnt get the street tires to start to hook untill 3rd gear.

------------------
85GT,auto/2400 stall,converted to carb.
edelbrock 600, performer RPM, BBK equal length headers, mallory distr. and ignit., h-pipe, flows, 3:73, converting to five lug and installing 95 cobra rims.
85muffstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 05:49 PM   #8
bad93gt
Registered Member

Talking

if it was me which it recently was i would go with the kenne bell blowzilla.it produces full boost at 2000 rpm and keeps it all the way to redline unlike centrificals which produce 1psi per 1000 rpm.the install was the easiest ive done.no oil lines,no 500$intake purchase comes with its own,and it looks awesome.just my 2 cents.
bad93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:09 AM   #9
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Andrew, I'd strongly recommend a bigger radiator to handle the additional heat from the blower. A 180 thermostat is also strongly recommended. These two items are what you'll need to survive in stop 'n go traffic in the summer.

Finally, an MSD 6AL will ensure complete combustion (and maximum power) under boost. The MSD rev limiter will cut spark, and not cut fuel like the factory limiter does which makes the engine run lean.

Are you going to Carlsbad on March 24? My stang needs a tranny so I'm taking the Lightning.

Russ

------------------
'91 LX
Procharger, 3 row intercooler, extrude honed Cobra intake, Mac full Length Headers, 30# inj., 73mm C&L, 75mm tb, E303 cam, 289 rods, ported E7 heads, MSD, T-Rex w/255 lph Walbro, 5 lug conversion, Cobra R wheels, 3.27 gears and Moser Axles.
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:27 AM   #10
mustang17
Registered Member

You'll want exhaust, but it's not required.
I'd say you have to change the intake as well, to really make the power. How much HP do you want? A supercharger on a stock 95 should make no more than 100 fwhp.(9/10 psi) This project could run you $4000+install.

------------------
1995 GT Black sleeper
Edelbrock 6037 heads,Edelbrock proformer intake,Edelbrock cam, 70mm TB,75mm pro-m mass air,Taylor wires, Underdrive pulleys,Equal length headers,K&N filter
Flowmaster cat-back, Eibach pro rate springs
lower control arms
3.73 gear Centerforce clutch

mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:35 AM   #11
andrewgarland
Registered Member

I'm looking to get at least 300HP out of whatever set up I would use. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this, or go with all the little stuff (headers, exhaust, intake, pulleys, gears, shift kit, etc). Which way would you guys go? Thanks...

Andy
Old 02-28-2001, 03:21 PM   #12
bad93gt
Registered Member

Wink

i would add the supercharger 1st.see what you think and then add other things later on.actually you should do exaust at the same time to work with the charger.by the way i noticed a price above of 4000.my kenne bell blowzilla cost me 3400 polished with 8,9 psi pulley and it comes with its own intake.it also comes with a fms(fuel management system)this goes in your return fuel line and is operated by boost pressure,comes with all the fittings.this raises the fuel pressure by about 30psi wich makes your stock 19# injectors flow like 24# injectors,so larger injectors are not neccessary.i like it because the kb also gets rid of that ugly factory upper intake.
Old 02-28-2001, 03:23 PM   #13
bad93gt
Registered Member

Wink

i would add the supercharger 1st.see what you think and then add other things later on.actually you should do exaust at the same time to work with the charger.by the way i noticed a price above of 4000.my kenne bell blowzilla cost me 3400 polished with 8,9 psi pulley and it comes with its own intake.it also comes with a fms(fuel management system)this goes in your return fuel line and is operated by boost pressure,comes with all the fittings.this raises the fuel pressure by about 30psi wich makes your stock 19# injectors flow like 24# injectors,so larger injectors are not neccessary.i like it because the kb also gets rid of that ugly factory upper intake.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:29 AM   #14
mustang17
Registered Member

Kenne bell are good, adds 75 pounds. Not great for an already over weight mustang. Damn you SN95's!

Bad93gt- Later you'll have to enlighten us on how you make "19's flow like 24's"

Think about this. For the money you might spend on a blower you could get a pro built engine. Check out what some guys on here are running with N/A combos. No blower headaches.

My original plan for my car was heads, cam, intake than the blower. I haven't even got to the blower, already I wish I had done a 306 or 347 project first. Start with good internals, and maybe add some CI's, and then add MAJOR power adders.

Take this all with a grain of salt because I think N/A is the only way to go for a street car. (Here come the flames from the blower owners "I never had one problem...")

Good luck

------------------
1995 GT Black sleeper
Edelbrock 6037 heads,Edelbrock proformer intake,Edelbrock cam, 70mm TB,75mm pro-m mass air,Taylor wires, Underdrive pulleys,Equal length headers,K&N filter
Flowmaster cat-back, Eibach pro rate springs
lower control arms
3.73 gear Centerforce clutch

Old 03-01-2001, 06:20 PM   #15
bad93gt
Registered Member

Cool

ill enlighten you right now.the fms cuts off the fuel return line under boost which raises the fuel pressure forcing the maximumamount of fuel that the injector allows.ok put it this way why do people add a larger fuel pump to stock injectors ?because it gives you same results.thi is tested and stated right in the kenne-bell installation manual.feel enlightened?????just need to read.
Old 03-01-2001, 06:40 PM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

Hmmm...

I'd have to say, mustang17, you do seem mighty down on blowers. You say you've never had one, well, you're right about me thinking you've judged them based on something your grandpa had on his car.

Benefits to blowers are, no significant loss of fuel economy when driving normally, no internal engine modifications, which makes the installation easy and inexpensive, huge power benefits, excellent drivablilty, and they are bolt on/bolt off parts that can be removed if you wish to sell the car as stock.

I don't know as I've seen a lot of problems on this board relating to blower problems from quality units that are pushing less than 10psi.

After reading tech on this board, researching, learning, and helping, I'm more convinced than ever that the blower route is the best route to go.

As far as the 19lb injectors, you can run them up to about 350hp before they are done. Any blower with more than 6psi boost should be combined with the 24lbers in my opinion. You can risk it, bump the fuel pressure and run 19's, but for the measly couple hundred bucks, why would you want to risk it?

Now the N/A tune route is nice too, it will help your blown car see even more potential, but now you double your expense and wind up with a tranny breaking, driveshaft bending, axle stipping monster. (Not that having that isn't cool in itself , but other upgrades that must be made are very expensive.)
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:26 PM   #17
rbatson

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewgarland:
I'm looking to get at least 300HP out of whatever set up I would use. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this, or go with all the little stuff (headers, exhaust, intake, pulleys, gears, shift kit, etc). Which way would you guys go? Thanks...

Andy
If I were to start from scratch, I'd do all the "little stuff"... just make sure heads are on the list. You'd probably want to get a cam too, I think that will make you happy.

As far as blowers and wanting 300 hp, I beat a 97 ss with my stock motor and base A-trim at the track a few yrs ago. I also had exhaust, 3.73s, shift kit, and 2400 stall. I got it over 102mph. With that mph and my weight at the time translates to high 200- low 300 hp.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 03-01-2001, 10:17 PM   #18
mustang17
Registered Member

bad93gt- You still did not tell me how you got you 19's to flow like 24's. I have been reading and I know, as Unit 5302 said, that 19's flow for up to 350hp. 24's go up to around 400hp. So again, how do you make 19's flow like 24's? You can get a fuel pump to do a thousand lph and that is still not going to make your injectors flow better. Do you see my point?

Unit 5302- I'm not anti-blower. With the right motor you can't beat the power. Why not start with a better motor though? Then you don't have to worry about the bottom end falling apart if you make over 400hp. You do,unfortunately, have to deal with other things breaking, as you said.

Not many people are going to have trouble running 10psi on a stock mustang, very true. You're only making 300+hp, but there are much cheaper ways to make 300fwhp with a 5.0.

Andrew- If you think you want around 300hp consider this combo. Ported stock heads, after market intake, a mild cam, exhaust and you should be there. All this for under $1500!

It's always good to have more than one opinion. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:51 PM   #19
rbatson

UUUggghhhh, do I want to get in this?? Guess I do...

You can make 19# injectors flow more fuel by getting an afpr and/or fmu, this we all know. If you have 24#ers at 39 psi you can get 19#ers to flow the same amount of fuel by upping the fuel pressure, hence the (common) term "19s flowing like 24s".

I really don't see why there is a debate on this matter.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:39 AM   #20
mustang17
Registered Member

That's very misleading. Please clarify. You still can't make 19's work up past 350hp so how is that flowing like 24's? I thought no matter how much pressure you gave you're not getting past the 350hp wall. Maxing out 19's is known as flowing like 24's? It's not flowing like 24's, you could get 24's to flow more than 19's ever could.

Do you see what I mean?