MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default NOVI 1000 w/130 amp 3G...HELP!!

I'm in the middle on installing my Novi 1000 and have run into a problem. I bolted my alternator on but when I try and put the alternator support bracket on, it doesn't fit. The alternator is hitting the smog pump. I don't have the stock alternator. I have a 130 amp 3G alternator. Does paxton make a bigger support bracket that works with the 3G?? Can someone help me? I want to get this blower on!!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:47 PM   #2
tuco
Registered Member

It sounds like you may have to build yourself a custom bracket.

All you need is some stainless, a drill and some kind of grinder.

Let me know how it comes out, next tax return I'm thinking about purchasing a novi for my stang.

what did you do with your vacume sensors?

What all came with the novi 1000?
Old 09-15-2002, 10:23 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Yea, I think I'm going to make my own support bracket. So far, the kit has bolted right up (with the exception of the alternator support). The directions are bad but if you read over them a few times and take your time it's easy. Since I'm stuck on the alternator, I went ahead and unbolted my stock headers to get ready for some new FRPP shorty's.

As far as the NOVI 1000 kit, it's jsut a basic enrty level kit. No blowoff valve, weak plastic discharge tube, and I got an alternator pulley that wasn't mentioned in my parts list (nice of Paxton to explain to me everything I'm getting). Other than these few things, the kit is pretty nice...like I said, it has bolted right up thus far and isn't very complicated. I'm scrapping the FCU so that will cut down on the install time a little bit. I'll be sure and take some pics when everything is done!

Old 09-16-2002, 12:13 AM   #4
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

yep i ran into the same thing with my sn-93 and vortech s-trim i had to make a custom bracket it wasn't hard at all and that took care of it i used a piece of aluminum about 1/4" thick and cut and drilled it with a hole in one end and a slot in the other,
Rice Haters Club member #68

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
exgmguy
Registered Member

A few thing about the 1K kit. The plastic discharge tube is junk. It will deform under the heat and leak. Also, most of the 1K guys had to add a bypass valve. My car surged badly without it. I ordered a stock S-trim bypass from summit for like 50 bucks, and got a couple bucks worth of fittings from a hardware store. It is very easy.
For the discharge tube, I ordered a 3" mandrel bent 90 of Flowmaster exhaust tubing, and welded a tube in it for the bypass. It looks awesome, and works flawlessly compared to the stock junk.
I also had to grind my smog pump a little to make the alternator fit.
And.....

My hood would not shut after the install. The blower sits way too high. You have to loosen I think 6 small bolts, and rotate the housing so the discharge is lower. This puts the stock discharge tube almost out of reach.

If you go on the Corral and search "Novi 1000" you will see all the stuff we did to get it right. It would be nice if Paxton did this stuff to begin with!

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:08 PM   #6
tuco
Registered Member

I'm starting to wonder if it be better to go with a brand that truly offers a bolt on .
Old 09-16-2002, 10:34 PM   #7
bigblockcoupe
Registered Member

I didn't have any trouble with my paxton kit but I also have a pin on hood with a 2/1/2" rise except for the alternator bracket but i figured that was because of the '95 130 amp alternator I THINK IT IS A LITTLE BIT BIGGER.
Rice Haters Club member #68

'93 Cobra 10.20@135

'89 Gt Coupe 12.20@115
bigblockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:44 PM   #8
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by tuco
I'm starting to wonder if it be better to go with a brand that truly offers a bolt on .
The problems that alot of NOVI users run into (clearance, bad idle, FMU/FCU problems, etc.) are minor and can be solved pretty easily. It may not be 100% out of the box onto your engine bolt-on, but there are alot of people out there that will offer their help if asked. I don't even have the 1000 on yet but I'm already happy with my purchase. I have a blower that is pretty quiet...plus it'll pump out 8+ #'s of boost with a crank pulley change...plus it has a 3 year warranty.