MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
2001MustangV8
Registered Member

Default What to add?

Help! I have a 2001 GT (V8). I want more power. I've been told supercharging would be the way to go. But i don't know the first thing about it. I know some people use nitrous. Anyone wanna take mercy on me and give me some advice? What are the pros and cons of supercharger/nitrous/turbo?

Thanks.
2001MustangV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
kpro86
Registered Member

Default Re: What to add?

i would definantly go with supercharging or turboing over nitrous. but you don't even need forced induction. you should put bigger cams in it and redo the heads get a cai and exhaust. that will get you plenty of hp for the street.
kpro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
USMC302
Registered Member

It depends on your budget and how much you drive the car. Turbo will give you the most power, but cost the most as well, supercharger is not too cheap and makes good power, nitrous is cheap good power but you're going to be filling your bottle up all the time, which adds up.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
byrnech
Registered Member

Do you have any mods what so ever, or are you bone stock?
Personally I would go towards a turbo if you have the cash to do it.

Turbo
Pro's - Turbo's use wasted exhaust energy to provide boost, they will have superior horsepower and a fat torque curve starting at a realitively low RPM since a proper turbo kit will be providing almost full boost at 2300-3000 RPM, also no pulleys to increase boost just turn a knob.
Con's - Price, Installation, finding traction on street tires

Supercharger
Pro's - A little more affordable, less involved installation than turbo
Con's - It takes engine power to run a supercharger that's why a turbo will make more power at the same boost level, not to mention the boost and torque advantage the turbo has. You need to change pulleys to get more boost. Lot's of accessories to buy, i.e. pulleys, power pipes, intercooler, meth injection

Nitrous
Pro's - Affordable, instant power, fat torque curve, cheap adjustability for more power, easy install.
Con's - Having to refill the bottle, also has accessories to buy, i.e. bottle warmer, remote bottle opener, bottle vents, and running out of nitrous at the worst time.

Other things to consider are building a good bottom end for the motor to handle the extra power you are throwing at it with any of these options. If you go with a supercharger or nitrous you are going to want to add a set of nice headers and good exhaust, turbos will eliminate the need for the headers. Also you will need a good fuel system to handle boost, or any decent shot of nitrous. Now your stock suspension is in need of an update to handle the power, might as well throw a new transmission in there.

If you use any of these at a moderate power level you should be fine though. I would say 8-10 lbs boost, and 100-150 hp shot of nitrous. Sorry for the long post but that is my outlook, and I am sure I am leaving some things out.

Also, any of these give you a good starting point for future mods and make up for the lack of torque on the 2V mod motors. Heads,cams, intake, exhaust, and anything you would do to make the motor more efficient will be more benificial after a power adder than before in my opinion. In other words any three of the above will give you more power than a naturally aspirated motor for the price and you would still have a very peaky motor. Not saying you couldn't make the power with a N/A 2V.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001MustangV8 View Post
Help! I have a 2001 GT (V8). I want more power. I've been told supercharging would be the way to go. But i don't know the first thing about it. I know some people use nitrous. Anyone wanna take mercy on me and give me some advice? What are the pros and cons of supercharger/nitrous/turbo?

Thanks.
if you want a supercharger just get the vortech mongoose kit for

Modular PowerHouse

you get everything you need and what you have done to the car you should make good power and have little problems.....

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
natalievortex
Registered Member

Hi my name is natalie and i work for a company called Vortex exhausts,i understand that you need more power.
Check our website
Vortex Exhaust
Thank you
natalievortex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: