MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-08-2002, 05:36 PM   #1
1989stanger

Default Car Head Unit

I just got a new cd player and i was going to put it in myself and i bought the scosche harnesses to go with it and when i spliced the harnesses to the harness with the cd player and pluged them in, i get power and all but no sound what so ever. I went over my speaker connections and they were all correct and all. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem, maybe someone has put one in before or someone came over the same problem.

I appreciate any help
thank you
Old 12-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

You still have the factory amp in your car, and the cd player has its own internal amp. You have too bypass the factory amp. I just got a bunch of speaker wire and wired up each speaker to the head unit. Its a pain but it has to be done. I had the same exact prob you do, all power, but no sound.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:57 PM   #3
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Also, do not turn the bass up when you get the head unit in unless you plan on getting new speakers very soon.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
lx5091
Registered Member

beat me to it!

That's right, the Mustang has a factory amp under the dash and the factory harness is different than all other Ford's (wires don't go directly to speakers, but instead feed a signal to the amp). The harness you bought is universal for Ford, you just have to modify the wiring for the Mustang.

If I remember correctly, I was able to unplug the harness from the factory amp and I opened the plastic end(comes apart) and placed the wires where I needed them to line up, closed it and plugged it into the aftermarket harness, but it was a major PITA getting my hands into that small space in there.

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by NotchJohnson
Also, do not turn the bass up when you get the head unit in unless you plan on getting new speakers very soon.
Not true...what are you gonna blow them on?.....with the 15 watts the HU puts out?

They will distort like hell, but I doubt you'll blow em.

True, maybe if you jacked the the end frequences ALL the way and turned the volume all the way up......but I can't see for one second that sounding good enough to leave it there for long enough to create enough to get enough thermal energy to blow the speakers.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I hope you didnt cut or open any harnesses yet... it's REALLY easy... now I have a convertible but I assume it's the same system.... you'll ned to yank out the factory amp.. it's mounted behind the head unit in teh dash there.... it's held in with two screws... hex heads... anyway... once you get that out it'll have it's own harness to unplug... you kinda need alittle of each... the main power and all dimmer function and remote turn on, etc...that on one of the plugs... the other plug goes to the amp... so you wont need that... once you take out the amp you'll see the SQUARE harness that came out of the amp... THAT goes to all your speakers.... do yourself a favor and find a wireharness kit for ford factory amp setups.. call crutchfield if you have too... I bought my head unit from them so they sent it to me free.. but I'm sure you could buy it if you needed to... then you butt connect those harnesses to the new head unit and you just plug it into the dash harness... you should never need to cut any factory wires or pop open harnesses... when it's all done your new CD player head unit will have one FLAT PLUG and one SQUARE plug... those will plug into the harness in the dash... you wont need to run special speaker wires either... it makes for nice install and you'll know the connections are good... otherwise you'll be dealing with loose connections and you'll hit a bump and your left rear speaker will go out and then come back.. it sucks... when it comes to stereo stuff make sure you do a clean job... and try to avoid cutting and splicing if you can..
-as
Old 12-09-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
bigredstang
Registered Member

I ran into the same problem in a ford truck but the speakers had a short to ground. They would work with the factory head unit but the new head unit detected the fault when it powered up and would not put out sound. I replaced the speakers and it worked fine.
bigredstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #8
lx5091
Registered Member

No offense chunky, but you aren't an easy person to understand...

Seeing as 1989 stanger already has a harness, my instructions will suit fine. It is by no means a "hack job", I know you didn't call it that, but it seems you may have been implying that. I say that your method is the best for future reference, in my book.

I'm sure 1989 stanger gonna do what he feels most comfortable with.

If I had known that a company makes a harness specifically for the mustang, I probably would have used it, I am a freak about wiring things right, no wire patches and no electric tape holding wires together here!

Old 12-09-2002, 08:31 PM   #9
Agent_4573
Registered Member

yeah, i bought an aftermarket jensen head unit (real piece crap but it was cheap) and it WILL blow your speakers. You can blow your speakers with the stock unit. I replaced my speakers before i replaced the head unit. I would recommend some infinity or cerwin vega speakers.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:25 PM   #10
srv1
Get down.....

just remember, distortion blows your speakers.

Agent, Infinity's are crap. For the price and reliability, go with Boston Acoustics.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:49 PM   #11
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Not true...what are you gonna blow them on?.....with the 15 watts the HU puts out?

They will distort like hell, but I doubt you'll blow em.

True, maybe if you jacked the the end frequences ALL the way and turned the volume all the way up......but I can't see for one second that sounding good enough to leave it there for long enough to create enough to get enough thermal energy to blow the speakers.
You are probably right, my knowledge of audio stuff is very limited. My friend put a 45x4 head unit in his 93 and he put the bass up to level 6 and played his rap music all the time, his speakers only lasted a month. Ive had my 50x4 unit for a year now and have no probs. I also have the bass on -2 since I really dont care about it.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:12 PM   #12
lx5091
Registered Member

My infinity references are great, I power them off of a 4ch mtx thunder 4244 sound nice. I used to be in audio competitions back in '96, alot's changed, but I did help my brother build a nasty '98 s10 2 years ago. We cut a huge hole in the back of the cab and the bed and sealed it together, then dropped 2- rf punch 12's and 2- 15's in the bed firing into the cab with a couple of power rf amps and it was just nasty.

Anyway, it's all about how it's done, wiring audio on an advanced level is an art. As far as putting in a stereo and speakers for your regular listening enjoyment goes, you're good as long as you're not using Urban Acoustics components from walmart!

I like boston acoustics, I don't think they're the greatest thing since electricity, but they work. My infinity's were cheap because the next year's line of audio came out at circuit city when I bought them!

Old 12-11-2002, 11:03 AM   #13
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by NotchJohnson
You are probably right, my knowledge of audio stuff is very limited. My friend put a 45x4 head unit in his 93 and he put the bass up to level 6 and played his rap music all the time, his speakers only lasted a month. Ive had my 50x4 unit for a year now and have no probs. I also have the bass on -2 since I really dont care about it.
Just so you know, ratings on head units aren't accurate. Even the highest rated head units only put out about 20 watts MAX.

Quote:
SRV1
just remember, distortion blows your speakers.
Not really. In sum, clipping does not blow speakers. It is the additional power that is produced by clipping that can damage speakers thermally. But ONLY if that extra power cannot be dissipated by the speaker itself. So the old addage "You can blow a 1000watt speaker with a 100 watt amp" is false.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:53 AM   #14
Kingz1990GT
Registered Member

Yeah i had the same problem with my head unit. Im gonna try the whole amp thing and try to get sound outa my speakers. I like my bass high. Even though i have subs im gonna pump out as much bass as possible from my front and rear speakers. I know you guys are joking and that its impossible to blow out speakers so bass away! Man im an audio genius!
Kingz1990GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 03:11 AM   #15
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I wouldnt call Infinity crap but they arent the greatest. The new Kappas are pretty good though. Boston Acoustics are good but I liked my Alpine Type R components better than them. You just have to listen to your speakers before you buy them.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote