MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-03-2002, 01:19 PM   #1
Bobu
Registered Member

Default Lots of questions about 02 GT or 03 GT

Ok, in about 6 months I'm getting either a 2002 GT w/ Premium package or a 2003 with same set up.

I've had years of experience with older Ford smallblock V8s ... 289s and 302s ... some experience with the larger FE series (390s, 427s, 428s) .... I have no experience with the new 4.6L modular.

Will be purchasing one as I said in about 6 months. Questions:

What are the easiest and least expensive mods to go with first. I've already decided that I'll have a set of springs installed and a new exhaust ... most likely Bassani with no cats ... either magnaflows or flo-masters behind those. After that I have no idea what works best or doesn't ... and I'm not really interested in a lot of modification that could cause serious warranty issues until the warranty runs out.

Another, what will be the difference if any between the powerplant of the 02 GT and the 03 GT ??
Bobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 02:20 PM   #2
Doug McGinn
Registered Member

If i was you i would order the 2003 Mach 1 and forget about the GT.The 2003 Mach1 has the 32 valve DOHC motor with 10.1.1 compression ration and functional ram air.
I had one on order but got the 2003 cobra instead,but anyway production is scheduled to begin in october with delivery of the cars to dealerships about 6-8 weeks later so that falls close to your 6 month timeframe.
But i can tell you this if you want one you better get to the dealer and get it ordered now because 3000 of the 6500 they are making are already ordered.
You can find out more here....

http://www.mach1registry.com/

P.S...MSRP on the MACH 1 is 29,200 so its a few dollars morethan the premo GT but not bad considering what you get.
Doug McGinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Congrats on your decision. You won't be disappointed.

If I were in your shoes, the first 3 thing's I'd do would be 3.73 gears, an X-pipe, and a shifter. The gears and xpipe will get you up and moving fast, and the shifter just makes driving much more easy.

Another thing to remember: If you do an Xpipe, don't get chambered mufflers.

If you get an Hpipe, do chambered mufflers. That will result in the best sound.

Hpipes give more torque down low, less HP up top. X's are the opposite. I prefer the top end of the X myself.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:29 PM   #4
Doug McGinn
Registered Member

Well i wont mess with the gears until the warranty is up,but the exhaust is gonna get changed and the shifter is first on the list.
I have checked with my local performance shop but the 2003 cobra isnt even listed yet.
So i guess i will be living with the crappy shifter for a while yet.
The car has so much power im not sure which way to go as far as exhaust goes.
The blower pulley i think would void my warranty as well.
Doug McGinn is offline   Reply With Quote