MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-03-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
Swarzkopf
Registered Member

Default Nitrous Questions for 99GT

Hi, long time reader, infrequent poster here with a few questions I hope you all can give me some answers too. I'm seriously considering a 100 shot for my 99 GT, automatic. I've heard that the Nitrous Works makes a good dry kit. Here's my questions:

1. Nitrous+automatic- With a 100 shot, would it be safe to spray through each gear shift, or should I disengage the nitrous before each shift?

2. Fuel system- From what I know, the returnless fuel system on my car becomes a real pain in the *** when power adders become a consideration. Would a new fuel pump/injector deal do the trick for me?

3. Availability- Where can I get a kit designed for 99+ GTs? I usually do my business with Summit (they're real close to me), but they don't have anything listed online.

Okay, that said, are any of you spraying on a newer GT 4.6L? Any other tips? What times are you running? I expect that a 100 shot+bolt ons on my convertible will land me close to 13.0...

Thank you!
Swarzkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:55 PM   #2
Ares
Registered Member

Good questions. I'm kinda interested in the answers as I may add nitrous to mine for racing at local track.
2000 Mustang GT - 5 speed
Race weight w/o driver 3086lbs, 3250 w/ driver

Best 1/4mile run to date: 12.79@105.96, 60' 1.76sec.(10-27-02) Best MPH 106.03(10-27-02)4.10gears
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:57 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hi guys,
I'll give you the info that I know...

On a near stock setup, a dry 100 hp shot is basically "on the fence" of reliability. I usually recommend a 75hp dry shot on near-stock setups.

I have seen guys run fine forever with an occasional 100 hp pill, I've also seen some go lean at the wrong time. Some blow the early stock "plastic" intakes, some have blown the head gasket, and some have done worse....

To be honest, if you're thinking of running any form of forced induction, its best to have a dyno run and have a tuner look at your engine's performance. Whether it runs slightly lean or rich at high or low revs, look at your fuel pressure and compression ratio. Be aware that the 99-00 compression ratio is a little different from the 01-02 4.6s...

From experience, I would feel uncomfortable putting anything larger than a 75 shot on a near stock setup, but there are those that will tell you otherwise.... I would recommend an adjustable setup where you could start with a 75 hp pill and go up when you and the car feels comfortable and ready...

Be sure your car runs well with no glaring engine issues, and get an auto switch that will dump the nitrous at full throttle only until right before redline\tach limiter.
Arm it, mash the pedal, and forget about it...

Other good stuff to have:
remote bottle opener
In-car nitrous pressure guage

If you get an electric bottle warmer, be sure to have an emergency turn off\blow-off valve. I saw a picture on the net of one half of a Honda and garage after a bottle warmer went unchecked...

Be safe and have fun...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
joegodfrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

If you get an electric bottle warmer, be sure to have an emergency turn off\blow-off valve. I saw a picture on the net of one half of a Honda and garage after a bottle warmer went unchecked...
I saw that too, at least I think it was a honda, blew the whole backend of the car right into the garage door. Supposedly he had a blowoff valve but it malfunctioned, and he sued.

Makes ya want to encase your bottle in a one inch thick titanium box.
joegodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:16 AM   #5
Swarzkopf
Registered Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

More than likely I'll go with a kit with adjustable hp levels. I'll probably spray 75 while on the street and 100 at the track.

Is anyone on here spraying on a 99-00 GT motor?

Couple more questions:

Will any EFI Ford kit work on my car, or do I need a kit designed with my returnless fuel system in mind?

My transmission will be able to take the abuse?

My experience has shown me that the 4.6L (with the exception of those lovely plastic intake manifolds) is one tough customer, but the trannies it's been mated to sometimes aren't.

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:07 PM   #6
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default not just any kit will work

the 4.6 cars have a returnless fuel system, you'll have to get a model-specific kit.

good luck!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:15 PM   #7
Swarzkopf
Registered Member

Default Yeah...

Thats what I figured....

I'm just not having much luck finding a kit designed for returnless fuel 4.6Ls. Actually, I haven't found ANY online so far. No one has them listed.

Maybe I'll call Summit when I get home tonight.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:19 PM   #8
joegodfrey
Registered Member

http://www.n2o.org/nitrous/manaf.p

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/nitrous.html

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/parts/parts.htm

Here are a few places to check The first one list alot of manufacturers.
joegodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:16 AM   #9
rooster3038
Registered Member

I've looked at puting Nitrous on my 2001 4.6 F150. So far what I have found out is that no one makes a dry kit for the returnless setup. Nitrous Express does make a good wet kit. Both Edelbrock and NOS are supposed to be coming out with a dry kit for the 99' and up 4.6, this spring. I don't know the shots available, but I'm guessing up to 75?
rooster3038 is offline   Reply With Quote