MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
nightmare95stang
a nightmare conversion...

Default powerdyne or paxton...10:1 compression..

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. I transplanted my '90 5.0 motor (crashed my car) into a '95 mustang. I've been wanting to supercharge my car, but I'm in a toss-up about a supercharger. I have a stock 302 bottom end w/forged pistons, GT-40 aluminum Y heads, (what we think is a) comp or an "A" cam (the motor chops around in the engine bay), 30# injectors & matched 77 mm Mass Air (I have 42#ers standing by), GT-40 intake, 70 mm throttle, 255 fuel pump, stock A9L computer, and no type of ignition control (i.e. MSD box, etc.).

I guess that all sounds ok, except I'm running about 10:1 compression. I've heard conflicting stories from EVERYONE as to what is a "safe" supercharger for my motor. Some tell me "NO!! not safe for ANY application." Others say the paxon novi 1000 would be fine w/ 5-6 psi. I've even heard a powerdyne 6, or even 9 psi would be ok, too because the powerdyne's don't push as much air as the vortech/paxton/ati's. My main concern is the high compression, and I don't want to go through the trouble of changing my heads or getting them ported. Plus, when I get a blower on, I AM planning on having a custom chip burnt to take care of all timing/boost retarding/any other issues.

What could anyone suggest for me?! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
nightmare95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Default Re: powerdyne or paxton...10:1 compression..

10:1 really isn't all that high. It's not exactly ideal for running high boost on pump gas. You can run 6,7,8 psi all day long if you want. Could run more if you get a good tune, and an intercooler or methanol. I would go with paxton, vortech, procharger, kenne bell. But I'd stay away from powerdyne. Never have heard anything good about them. I'm got a buddy with a 99 GT, which came with 9.4:1 compression running 10 psi with a vortech s-trim (non-intercooled) no problems. So I wouldn't worry about high compression. You'll just have to pull some timing to stay running on pump gas.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
nightmare95stang

In addition to all this, since I have a '90 motor sitting in a '95 body, I have tried to call numerous places regarding which year supercharger kit to get. No supercharger companies or distributors seem to understand that the 87-93 supercharger kit (at least the potential kits I would buy: vortech, paxton) does not physically fit under the hood without some ugly modification and grafting to the mounting bracket. Also, I believe since I have '90 motor mounts, my motor is sitting a little higher than it normally would.

I was talking over with one of them getting a '94-'95 kit, knowing that the supercharger itself would fit under the hood, and all I would need is a discharge tube that vortech makes for the '94-'95 kit (I've seen this in the "Green with Envy" article in the April 2005 5.0 Mustang magazine). I am thinking the only issues with buying the '94-'95 kit would be mounting to the '90 cylinder heads...(??)...

Also, I do not know if the crank/water/steering pulleys will line up with the '94-'95 supercharger pulleys on a '93 motor if I actually get the bracket to bolt up....or if I will need custom bracket spacers, or to shave the bracket...??

If anyone has any knowledge of this being attempted, please let me know because I am at such a loss at this point.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
1989GT
Registered Member

I would say that if you get a 94-95 kit with a discharge tube for 87-93 you should be fine. The pulley's should all line up, the only thing is that you may have to upgrade to a 3g alt to get it to work. But hey that's a bonus.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
nightmare95stang

I'm having some hood clearance issues with my supercharger (Paxton Novi-1000). Would anyone know if there is a tubular K-member and engine/trans mounts that sit the engine a little further down and back towards the firewall?

Also, I have a '90 motor and pulleys in a '95 mustang, so I know I need the '95 tubular K-member, but would the '95 engine mounts work with the '90 motor? I know they can be(?) different, but I see a lot of engine mounts advertised as 87-95.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
rob95stang
Registered Member

I currently have a 90 302 motor in a 95 mustang. I'm having some hood clearance with my novi2000 supercharger. What hood is out there that I can purchase that would be able to work on this application? I was not sure if to make some modifications on the engine mounts, would not like to head that way if I m not able to find the correct hood. Thanks, Rob
rob95stang is offline   Reply With Quote