MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Default Radiator, fan, water pump questions

What setup are some of you running especially regarding clearance issues for supercharger crank pulley? I had a problem the other day and now need to purchase water pump, fan, and radiator. My water pump shaft sheared just behind flange unfortunately at around 5000rpms. My flex-a-lite fan destroyed itself, the radiator, shroud, and put a few dings in my hood. Hopefully that's it along with the water pump. I've been running this setup for almost a year and a half, but just switched to a larger 8 rib crank pulley. I'm guessing, the fan/spacer was out of balance and the water pump shaft gave out. I had about a 3 1/4" aluminum fan spacer. Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading to an electric fan, I've seen some from late model Lincolns. Also thinking of electric water pump as well. And of course, I need a new radiator so I might as well upgrade that too. It looks like I only have about 6 5/8" clearance from condenser to crank pulley so I was worried about clearance with a different radiator and electric fan. I guess some of these dual fan setups might be better for clearance as their thickest point will not be directly in front of crank pulley. I'll just have to watch for belt clearance. Please give me some advice if you've been there/ done that.
Thanks
Chad
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Mustang Billy
Registered Member

Default Re: Radiator, fan, water pump questions

I have had really good luck with the 4 cyl radiators fron O'reilly's auto parts...

Lincoln Mark iV and the Tarus dual Elec fans have been popular for the FoxBody's..A Nice Aerospace Elec water pump or Meziere will pump over 30GPM and do the job!

Untimat Converter Concepts
CamMotion
C&S Specialties

http://www.gofastfuels.com/cms/index.php?page=home

One of the Fastest Stock E7 Headed 302's around..
With a Power adder@3000lbs
6.19@110.4 1/8
$100 Invested in total LongBlocks
Mustang Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Radiator, fan, water pump questions

My car is a 65, so I realize our clearance is going to be different, but I hope this gives you some ideas. I have a 4 core radiator, with a Taurus junk yard fan controlled by a cool little variable speed controller. I had a local guy fab me a small aluminum shroud for the fan and it looks trick!

My buddies 91 with a 408w did the same thing to me last summer. Broke the water pump shaft and trashed the radiator on a test run. I told him I hated regular fans for this reason and we put a junk yard fan in his also. Since your radiator is much bigger then mine, you won’t even need to have a custom shroud built. We took it straight from the junk yard and put it in. Works great!

I can post some pics if you like, just let me know.

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote