MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
VT StangFreak
Registered Member

Default More Power??

I have an 89 GT hardtop. In my signature block I have listed all of the modifications. Also I forgot to add that I have 16" pony wheels with Nitto P245/50R-16 96V. I have never had my car dynoed so I do not know the exact horsepower, but it ran a 12.6 in the quarter mile, with Nitto 555R drag radials. I would like to know if I am missing any modification to the engine (that is relatively inexpensive $1000 or less)??? I want to up my power. Also this car still needs to be an everyday driver until I graduate which will be May 2003. I should mention that I really would prefer not to run NOS at the present time. When I graduate I was thinking a blower or possibly twin turbo?? What is the consensus about Turbo-Charged Mustangs?? I hardly ever hear of them. Let me know what ya'll think.
Edelbrock Aluminum heads, E303 Ford racing cam, Probe Forged pistons, Cobra Intake, Pro M Mass Air, 65mm Throttle Body, 24# injectors, Ford Racing Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, 3.55's, Nitto's, rebuilt T-5 tranny, White Face Gauges, full exhaust, underdrive pulleys.
VT StangFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:06 PM   #2
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Default Re: More Power??

Quote:
Originally posted by VT StangFreak
I have an 89 GT hardtop. In my signature block I have listed all of the modifications. Also I forgot to add that I have 16" pony wheels with Nitto P245/50R-16 96V. I have never had my car dynoed so I do not know the exact horsepower, but it ran a 12.6 in the quarter mile, with Nitto 555R drag radials. I would like to know if I am missing any modification to the engine (that is relatively inexpensive $1000 or less)??? I want to up my power. Also this car still needs to be an everyday driver until I graduate which will be May 2003. I should mention that I really would prefer not to run NOS at the present time. When I graduate I was thinking a blower or possibly twin turbo?? What is the consensus about Turbo-Charged Mustangs?? I hardly ever hear of them. Let me know what ya'll think.
I think 12.6 is pretty good for you mods and considering your a convertible. Maybe a switch to 3.73, might give you another tenth or two. I would also look at suspension and weight reduction. Want give you any more power, but will definately help you get what you've already got to the ground. Plus, if your planning a blower ot turbo in the future, you'll want better suspension for then. There are some better cams out there than the E and a switch to a Holley intake would probably be worth a little.

As far a turbo on a mustang , greatest idea I've ever heard.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:45 AM   #3
VT StangFreak
Registered Member

Thats tight man, I have really not heard of too many Mustangs being turbo charged. What times do you run? Also how much did it cost to put in a turbo? Lastly would you go with twin turbo, or a single if money were of no object?
Edelbrock Aluminum heads, E303 Ford racing cam, Probe Forged pistons, Cobra Intake, Pro M Mass Air, 65mm Throttle Body, 24# injectors, Ford Racing Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, 3.55's, Nitto's, rebuilt T-5 tranny, White Face Gauges, full exhaust, underdrive pulleys.
VT StangFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:07 PM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VT StangFreak
Thats tight man, I have really not heard of too many Mustangs being turbo charged. What times do you run? Also how much did it cost to put in a turbo? Lastly would you go with twin turbo, or a single if money were of no object?
Adding a turbo has become alot more popular in the last few years as more and more companies have begun to make turbo kits for mustangs.

Times for me, don't have any yet. I just added a set of Edelbrock heads and a few other little things. Now my 30 lb injectors and the pump I'm currently running just won't keep up. I've been too lazy or just haven't had enough time to switch them out. Plus, I'm not one to take it to the track unless I know I'm pretty safe with my setup. Too much money invested at this point just to blow it up for the heck of it. A friend just took his to Bristol TN and ran. He went 10.82 at 129 mph on pump gas and 9 lbs of boost. I don't think I'll be that fast, but hopefully close. He's running a stock bottom end 302, stock cam, TW heads, Trick Flow intake, 70 mm TB, Pro M mass air, 42 lb injectors and a 255 in-tank pump. The turbo setup is a Turbo Technology race kit with a T-72 turbo. The car is his everday driver and idles like it's stock.

As far as cost, it's starting to keep more competitive with more companies getting into it. Most kits will run around the $4000 mark, but you get alot more with a turbo kit than just the turbo and bracketing, which is usually about all you get from most supercharger companies. I've heard rumors, just never took the time to check about somebody offering a kit for around $2500. Pro Turbo I think is the name, maybe something worth checking into.

If money were no object, I'd still go with a single setup. Twins are nice, but they just take up too much room under the hood. A single's easier to work on and will make as much or more power than twin's anyway.