MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2001, 01:09 AM   #1
PGkelly
Registered Member

Question Roots supercharger

Are there any companies that make eaton/roots blowers for mustangs? what are the differences between an eaton/roots and a centrifugal (besides the obvious)? which would you recommend?

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 01:37 AM   #2
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Kenne bell makes roots type s/c's, the difference is power curve, the roots makes boost at any rpm, centerfugal has to spool up boost.roots are better if you want a driveable stang with LOTS of torque.
kenne bell is a popular roots type blower.
You should also look into an INCON TWIN TURBO KIT, it comes with 2 turbos, capable of 7-28lbs of boost, a complete fuel system(injectors, fuel pump, MAF, Custom chip,intercooler)for $4000, & nothing else to buy accept E7ZZ engine mounts. a turbo is free hp (uses exhaust gases to spin impeller, where as a blower uses the engine's power (crankshaft) to spin the impeller. a turbo set up for 10psi will Double your power. www.inconturbo.com
a turbo is a better choice(to me!), but either way wou will have ine rompin stompin stang!

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe (Sounds Mean), K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box, Removed air silendcer), 198.9 rwhp @4200 (235 Motor!!), 285 lbs-ft @2900 (336 Motor!!!).
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 02:50 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Technically the Kenne Bell is not a "roots" blower. It's a twin screw positive displcement unit. The roots blowers use two intermeshing implellers for positive displacement of air. The BBK/Eaton roots style blower is the only true roots blower that I know of for sure, although I believe the Ford SVO supercharger is as well. I haven't heard anything about them in a while, but they were featured in my BBK catalogue I received when ordering my hiflow H with cats about 6 mo ago. They may have been discontinued due to poor sales.

The positive displacement blowers make big boost, even at 2000rpm. The Kenne Bell unit is actually at max boost at 1800rpm. They make for big hp, and big torque. They do take more power to run though. It's a bit of a tradeoff. More power to run, more flexibility in output.

The added benefit of the BBK blower and Kenne Bell, is that you do not have to tap into the oil supply, which makes them easier to install. The BBK was one of the very best quality blowers out there.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 03:53 AM   #4
84_GT350
Registered Member

The big difference between Roots and centrifugal blowers are that roots blowers have rotors or lobes inside a case that turn via a crankshaft pulley and shove air into your intake. Centrifugals use a finned impeller to scoop air into the inlet tube to the intake. To mirror what Unit 5302 said, Kenne Bell markets what are called Lysholm screw blowers (named after their manufacturers) and they make huge boost way down low. A centrifugal (like a Vortech or Procharger) that's rated at 11 lbs. of boost will only make around 2 or 3 at most street driven rpm. They don't make the full 11 lbs. till around 6,000rpm or so. It's all a matter of what you want your car to do. The B & M EFI blowers are a good kick but I've heard they're not all too reliable. Especially the 9 lb. units. The Eaton/SVO blowers are reliable as sunrise but aren't known fur huge power boosts. Kenne Belle sems to be the best choice for the low end roots TYPE blowers. As for a cetirfugal market, it's all up in the air. Different people will say different things. I personally like Procharger D-1s, Vortech S-trims, and Paxton Novi 2000s for street use.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
PGkelly
Registered Member

thanks for clearing things up
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote