MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
JimRob
Registered Member

Default Looking for power

I have an 01 GT, stock except for exhaust and an air filter. I was offered an Eaton supercharger for a good price and am wondering what additional modifications I will have to make to keep it purring like it does now ie...computer, intercooler, throttle? As of now i'm not sure what has has for parts. I was told is was one the same one that came on a Stage 3 Roush and should add about 100 HP.

My factory warranty just expired and it time do something, any suggestions as to where to start sinking money to get the most power with the least expense (if that's possible) would be appreciated. I've read alot about those tuning computers, but they all sound great, I'm sure some must suck.

Do you think I can drive it to work everyday if I bolt that thing on?

Thanks,

Jim Rob
JimRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

Default Re: Looking for power

IMO, yes it would be fine for a daily driver. Fuel will be a shortfall with the blower, fuel pump, and injectors will be a must. Ignition upgrades will also ensure longetivity with the blower. Last but not least, they like to breath so a free flowing exhaust will compliment the new found power as well. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
550RWHP
My Pony eats Snakes

Dude, If you want some serious power and the ability to maintain "daily driver" quality, then just call the guys at Kenne Bell Superchargers. They will hook you up. When I first built my '04, I bought the intercooled 1.7 or 1.8L 9Lb. kit and without any other mods; not even an intake, I went up to 389rwhp! I think all together I paid a little over 5K. That included the KB kit, install, and tuning which KB does not require but I wanted mine tuned for 93 octane.

Horsepower is addictive! I recently had a 4.6L 2v Cobra block built to my specs, with ported heads, everything forged, and I now get over 550 rwhp at the same boost level. This project cost over 10k but I sold my other set up for 4k so technically only cost 6K for 550rwhp. Now I need to upgrade the blower because the new setup can handle more than 20 pounds of boost and 900rwhp.

Good luck to you.
550RWHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Check that Eaton out carefully. If its a take-off from an 03-04 Terminator there's going to be a lot of work involved to make it fit. In the end, the KB kit would be cheaper and yield better results.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Ron1
Registered Member

Jeff hit the nail right on the head. The Eaton off the 03-04 would cost an arm and a leg to install. Pump, injectors, throttle body, throttle cable, cruise control cable extension, intake manifold, intercooler, P/S relocation bracket, intercooler pump, intercooler reservoir, alternator relocation bracket, idler brace, idler pulleys, hoses, hardware, clamps. The second problem is that the 03-04 Cobra, just like on the Lightnings, run a secondary crank pulley to drive the blower which is 7 3/4 inches in diameter. The stock GT pulley is 6 1/4 inches. Figure every inch in diameter on the lower pulley is worth about 4 pounds of boost. So even if you run a 2.8 upper, it will never really make any boost. JMS in Miss. and FS in Washington just tested a new setup from a company called Tork Tech Inc. that uses a new Magnuson M112. Made 385 rwhp at 7-8 pounds of boost.
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: