MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2002, 10:38 AM   #1
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

Smile Questions: Just got my Paxton Novi 2000!

I finally got my supercharger after waiting for about 10 years! I started driving a 91 lx 4cyl in 1992 and since then I can't remember a time that I told myself that someday I would have a supercharged 5.0. The time is finally here!
I have a couple of questions though.
1) If I use the supplied FMU with my 24lb injectors, do you guys think I need to get a Boost Controller? After I install it, I am going to get a dyno tune and chip burned for it. Can they program boost retard into the chip on a 93 computer?
2) I want to get a gauge pod for the boost gauge and fuel pressure but I still haven't decided if I should get the one for the A pillar or if I should go with the A/C gauge cage that still has the small A/C vents on the sides. What do you guys think?
Thanks for any responses,
Adam

For Sale!!!! - Brand new Paxton Novi 2000 Kit for 86-93 Mustangs.
LfiveohX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:02 AM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I wouldn't run 24# injectors with your combo and the Novi 2000! How much manifold pressure do you expect to run? Even 8 psi would require at least 30#, I would step up to the 36's to be safe. If you decide to keep the 24's, just be very very careful about starving the motor of fuel - you can end up with a burnt piston in about no time.

As for the gauges, I have both the A-pillar setup and the 2 + vents in the A/C vents. I like both. No real preference.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 04:28 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Default Re: Questions: Just got my Paxton Novi 2000!

Quote:
Originally posted by LfiveohX
I finally got my supercharger after waiting for about 10 years! I started driving a 91 lx 4cyl in 1992 and since then I can't remember a time that I told myself that someday I would have a supercharged 5.0. The time is finally here!
I have a couple of questions though.
1) If I use the supplied FMU with my 24lb injectors, do you guys think I need to get a Boost Controller? After I install it, I am going to get a dyno tune and chip burned for it. Can they program boost retard into the chip on a 93 computer?
2) I want to get a gauge pod for the boost gauge and fuel pressure but I still haven't decided if I should get the one for the A pillar or if I should go with the A/C gauge cage that still has the small A/C vents on the sides. What do you guys think?
Thanks for any responses,
Adam

The fmu and 24's would work for now, but your going to be pushing the duty cycle of those injectors. Meaning you really need to look into upgrading injectors to 30's minimum, 36's would be better. You already have heads, intake, all alot of other good parts, you could have probably gotten away with running 30's when you were NA.

I'm not certain on the chip.

There is no boost controller for superchargers, only turbos. The pulley size and how high you spin the motor determines the amount of boost you make.

The A pillar pod makes it really easy and quick to keep an eye on your gauges, with the vent pod you spend too much time looking down. I would save the vent pod for some other gauges.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:30 PM   #4
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

I messed up when I said Boost Controller, what I meant was Timing Controller. MSD makes one that allows you to retard timing in adjustable increments as boost builds. This is what I meant. As for injectors, I have thought about it and I already bought the 01' Lightining MAF which is calibrated for 42 lb injectors. So all I need to do is buy the injectors which are approx $375.00. Should I wait to install the supercharger until I get the 42's ?

Old 02-09-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LfiveohX
I messed up when I said Boost Controller, what I meant was Timing Controller. MSD makes one that allows you to retard timing in adjustable increments as boost builds. This is what I meant. As for injectors, I have thought about it and I already bought the 01' Lightining MAF which is calibrated for 42 lb injectors. So all I need to do is buy the injectors which are approx $375.00. Should I wait to install the supercharger until I get the 42's ?
The MSD or Jacobs units like I use are a necessity, you can get away without one, but you'll have to back your timing way down and leave there all the time. You already have alot invested, why blow it now, know what I mean.

I would wait on the installation if it were me, unless two things:
1- your boost levels aren't going to exceed 6 lbs
2-you have enough reserve for now just to drive around without going WOT with it installed

I'm pretty conservative, I just hate to see you blow a gasket or worse because you don't have enough fuel. I bet you could sell the 24's pretty quick to offset the cost of the 42's.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:14 AM   #6
89cp
Registered Member

I went with a set of 42’s. It’s worked out ok. I also have a btm. You’ll definitely want one of those. I’m not sure if the Paxtons, now-a-days, come with those cheap inlet ducting, but if they do, chuck it and use something more solid. I too would like some sort of chip, though; the current eec tuner gadgets are what I really want.

Good Luck
89cp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 02:41 PM   #7
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

Thanks for the info guys.
89cp-The inlet tube is alot different than the older ones I've seen that look like a hose from a dryer vent. It is a PVC or Hard plastic tube that makes a 180 degree turn kinda like a horseshoe. It seems pretty decent and it has the bypass valve fitting already tapped into it. I will probably eventually get the AFM Power Pipe though. I know the tuner Lance over at Paxton pretty well so he said he would help me out after I am finished installing the kit. I'm going to wait to install it until I get some 42lb. injectors, a btm and the gauges. So it looks like it will be a couple of months before I can afford that so in the meantime, it will sit in my livingroom on the coffee table so I can talk to it and make sure it stays warm at night!

Old 02-11-2002, 05:42 PM   #8
Chris_H
Registered Member

Here is something you may want to keep in mind when choosing between the A pillar mount gauges and the gauge cage in the vent area. I currently have my oil and water on the A pillar, both 2 1/6". Now, all the gauge cages I have seen with the vents are all 2 5/8" gauges. I have yet to find a A/F Ratio gauge that is 2 5/8". I have found a million boost ones in 2 5/8", but from what I had found out through a few phone calls is that Auto Meter doesn't make a 2 5/8" A/F Ratio gauge. Just something to keep in mind. Hope that all makes sense.
As Far as everybody wanting to get some chips burned, I have a buddy here in town that is a dealer for Diablo Sport. He can burn a chip off his laptop if anybody is interested. Send me an email and we'll see what we can come up with.

Chris
Old 02-12-2002, 12:27 AM   #9
Rebel79
News Editor

the 42's should be good. I would get an MSD 6BTM which will retard your timing per PSI of boost up to 15° of timing. Or you can just get the MSD BTM which I have paired with an MSD 6AL.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote