MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Supercharger for the Saleen S281?
Paxton Novi 1000 2 7.41%
Paxton Novi 2000 8 29.63%
Vortech S-Trim 4 14.81%
Procharger 10 37.04%
Powerdyne 0 0%
Vortech T-Trim 1 3.70%
Eaton/Saleen Roots blower 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. This poll is closed

Old 11-29-2001, 07:59 PM   #1
00SlvrSleen
Registered Member

Thumbs up Which Supercharger to buy???

I just bought a 00 Saleen S281 Speedster. I want to add a supercharger in the Spring. Which should I buy. Here is my situation: I don't want to spend more than $4000 to buy the kit. I want to get close to 400 hp. I want a supercharger from a reputable company with proven products. Don't want to cause damage to the engine. I am not a "racer" , but I don't want a Vette to challenge me. I will have a professional speed shop install it. So far, the Paxton Novi 1000 and the S/Q Vortech are my favorites. Should I buy the stage II Saleen Blower kit??? How much should I spend? Where should I buy from? Looking for suggestions.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:35 PM   #2
smithbling
Registered Member

The Vortech KICKS $HIT!! I have never heard anything bad about them. However, you would be just fine with a Vortech S-Trim unless they are exactly the same. A buddy of mine went 10.7's@126MPH with the regular S-trim.

Overall though I would still get a TURBO KIT!!! Cartech for me Baby!!!

MAC Headers, MAC H-pipe, MAC Pullies, KN, and BM Shifter

Best ET: 14.689
Best MPH: 98.54
Best 60': 2.333
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 09:45 AM   #3
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

I am all for PRocharger, but I am not current on 4.6 blowers....I know that procharger blows the comp away with the 5.0's. The vortech with the aftercooler is a awesome setup too....you could get that with a abtercooler for about 4500$$
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

1997 Honda CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird
162 hp
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 11:05 AM   #4
typeR
Registered Member

howabout a twin screw
http://images.fotki.com/free/97aa/1/...Charger-or.jpg
typeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

While you probably won't see 400hp, I would go for a roots style blower. They're dependable on a near stock setup and have great torque for stoplight "altercations". They sell for around 4 grand and it also gets you a new intake ...

If you positively must have the power at all costs, go procharger with a 3 core intercooler... just be prepared for tuning costs to get the most out of it...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:52 PM   #6
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

Depends on what you want the 'increased power' for. I would say Vortech for upper end RPM runs. Or Saleen Roots style for the stoplight races like Hammer said.

Definately look into a turbo/twin turbo setup also.
#2459 of 5082

Visit my city http://diggstown.myminicity.com/

Ty'97Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 04:43 PM   #7
00SlvrSleen
Registered Member

Unhappy Twin Turbos

I don't have any information on Turbos yet. What's the main difference between a turbo and a Supercharger? I am receving many replies that a Turbo would be better... I would just be interested in 2 things: Resale value of the Saleen and possible races from the stoplight only.
How much do turbos cost and what is the avg time to install? So far, the roots style blower is looking most attractive to me. It keeps the Saleen integrity for resale and is plenty fast.
I don't race the car or run it too hard....often, but just in case; I don't want some Camaro or Vette (stock) to blow past me...Ya know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saleenside2[1].jpg (37.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-30-2001, 05:09 PM   #8
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Turbo's and Superchargers do the exact same thing....pros and cons for both.

The main difference is that Turbo's run off of your exhaust and blowers run off of your crank. Superchargers are more instant boost than turbo's. Torbo's have that notorious "turbo lag"

With turbo's you will also have to alter your exhaust, buy differend headers, etc...

You will also have to buy a intercooler whereas with a blower you don't HAVE TO, but you can.

I hope that answered your question.
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

162 hp
Old 11-30-2001, 07:35 PM   #9
Leeroy697
Registered Member

One word Procharger. They rock. Thats what Im gonna get in a couple months.
Its got some mods.
Leeroy697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 08:17 PM   #10
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

"The main difference is that Turbo's run off of your exhaust and blowers run off of your crank. Superchargers are more instant boost than turbo's. Torbo's have that notorious "turbo lag"

With turbo's you will also have to alter your exhaust, buy differend headers, etc...

You will also have to buy a intercooler whereas with a blower you don't HAVE TO, but you can."

This is definitely not coming from a person with experience having a Turbo V8. I have a Turbo 4.6 and have had one since August. It is awesome and if he can swing the money, it would definitely be the best choice. I have a TDC Stage II kit and is tons faster at the same boost level than my V2 S-trim ever was. As far as turbo lag, it is minimal at best with a V8. I see full boost by 3400 rpms running a T-76 whether it's 5 psi or 15 psi. That is alot sooner than 8 psi from the Vortech at 6K. If you run a T-66 or 60-1, you will see boost alot sooner. We can get into Hybrids & Ceramic bearings which impacts spool time, but that's another story. Also the TDC kits come 100% complete with everything.

http://www.turbodrivenconcepts.com/feature.html
http://www.turbodrivenconcepts.com/2001catalog.pdf
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 08:24 PM   #11
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Turbo 4.6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0688.jpg (127.7 KB, 43 views)
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Best on Nitto D/Rs
Best on Slicks
Old 12-01-2001, 01:06 AM   #12
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

My vote is Procharger! I had a friend that ran 17psi on the intake/21 at the discharge on super unleaded and 10 degrees initial timing. The 3 row intercooler helps...cools to about 25 degrees above ambient. He was using a D-1. His trap speed was claimed to be 123 mph with a STOCK long block and shorty headers.

Because of my friend's Procharged 5.0, I sold my KB blower and made the change.

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 01:08 AM   #13
smithbling
Registered Member

Turbo's put out a lot more tourque then a supercharger does. Like Turbo99 said "Lag is minimal" it would give the tires a chance to brace themselves for about an extra 200 lbs of tourque in 2 seconds! You don't have to deal with belts, to change power just the turn of a dial or press of a button on the FLY!!

Typically, (for example) 10PSI turbo = 14-15 SUPERCHARGER
You also have to spin the **** out of a supercharger to get real big power for a given unit.

New headers come with the kit, install time is longer.

PLus, would you want all that stress on your crank??

MAC Headers, MAC H-pipe, MAC Pullies, KN, and BM Shifter

Best ET: 14.689
Best MPH: 98.54
Best 60': 2.333
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 02:21 AM   #14
93cobra tt
Registered Member

I hear ya Turbo99GT, gotta love the twin turbo! Yes turbos have alot going for them, and are really awesome. I am a turbo man, but I also love the superchargers. The thing is 00SlvrSleen wants to spend around $4000. I do not know of any turbo kits for the modulars that are that cheap. TDC's single turbo kit is around 4k, but is not as promising. In his case i'd recommend a centrifugal supercharger. Most people I know that got a roots style kit had ended up selling it later on. The P1SC is a monster and has a unique design. The Vortech is reliable, and has a good street reputation. Also Saleen used Vortechs in their older cars. For 4 grand you could get a good supercharger and not be disappointed. But FYI, for about 1500 more you could get an awesome twin turbo kit from Incon. In an article I read they had used a stock 2000 S281. After the kit, the car produced on the dyno: 399hp @ 4500 and 471 tq @4300. The wastegate was set at 7 psi. Heres the beauty of it: because of the big modular heads, the turbos cant be seen from above, very stealthy. The reason why the kit is so expensive is it comes with a Griggs racing tubular K-member and coil overs. Love the turbos.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:51 PM   #15
typeR
Registered Member

whipple twin screw...similar to roots...testing sig
299$ lowered 1.0/1.25
999$ headers 30 whp

look on there face...pricless
PB 1/4 13.794@101.54
typeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 12:41 AM   #16
00SlvrSleen
Registered Member

Lightbulb Closer to deciding...

The replies are great!!! I am definitely NOT interested in Turbos for the car. Too expensive and complicated for what I want.
I can get a Paxon NOVI 1000 complete kit for $2800. I could buy the Saleen Roots Style (stage II) blower kit with aftercooler for $3300. I took a ride in a Saleen S281 with a S-Trim Vortech and the G-Force of the acceleration was incredible.
Removing turbos from the equation (due to cost and tuning) which supercharger is recommended for the occassional stoplight "altercation"... Replies are much appreciated. I am still learning the "motor lingo"...Thanks!
Old 12-02-2001, 11:35 AM   #17
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Turbo99gt

That was a harsh first sentence....what a punk. I believe I stated the facts.....Turbos have to build exhaust pressure before getting high boost.....right? Roots style blowers are instant. Centrifugal are more like a Turbo because they have to spin up before max boost is made. Given the Turbo's make more boost sooner than a Centrifugal, but not a roots....I guess I should have re-phrased what blower I was talking about. Everything else I stated about exhaust and the intercooler is 100% true.

I hope you weren't trying to flame me because if you were, you basically stuck your foot in your mouth.
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

162 hp
Old 12-02-2001, 12:21 PM   #18
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was stating a fact that you don't have first hand experience with Turbo V8s. I have a problem with people providing false information to other people based on THEORY and not FACT. There is a difference. There are so many variables that impact spool time that it is not worth getting into. Centrifugals are nothing like turbos. I have had both and would know. Turbos work off load and centrifugals work off of engine rpm. As far as the intercooler is concerned, it definitely allows you make more power, run more timing, and run a safer setup. Also the TDC kit comes 100% complete with the exhaust system, Spearco Intercooler, boost controller and a ton of other parts. In all honesty, people with no experience with the 4.6 market should leave the topic alone.

00SlvrSleen,
Since you want a blower, the answer depends on what you plan to do going forward. If you get a Saleen blower, it will be great right up until the time you run into a few centrifugal blown GTs and get beaten badly. I understand that Kenne Bell is coming out with a nice screw type blower for the 4.6 which should be nice. You might want to wait until it comes out.
Best on Nitto D/Rs
Best on Slicks
Old 12-03-2001, 09:54 AM   #19
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo99GT
I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was stating a fact that you don't have first hand experience with Turbo V8s. I have a problem with people providing false information to other people based on THEORY and not FACT.

Who are you to say that I don't have first hand experience? You have no idea what I know and you aren't the "God" of turbos. I did some extensive research on turbos when I was deciding on what power adder to get, granted my best friend sold me his blower for 1200$, but I was set on a Vortech S-Trim or a P1-SC procharger due to the fact that installation for the Vortech is a breeze compared to the Turbocharger, and the Procharger is a very reputable blower and massive power maker. The performance shop that I do all of my dyno's at, but my parts through, and am good friends with told me straight up that a blower was easier to install and maintain than a turbo. Plus they are a good amount of money more, $4000-$4500 vs. $3000-$3500. I spoke with Incon and they even told me that blowers are less of a hassle. But I guess they don't know from first hand experience either. Another thing.....with boost, as the motors get older, you tend to wear out your rings, causing blow-by, thus oil gets into the exhaust. That will ruin a turbo by clogging it up. With a blower, you don't have to worry about it. What about if you need to pull your exhaust for a gasket swap? I am really wondering about that "God of Turbo's" If that is easier maintenance than on a blower, tell me I am wrong about that.

There is a difference. There are so many variables that impact spool time that it is not worth getting into.

Exactly, it isn't worth getting into

Centrifugals are nothing like turbos. I have had both and would know. Turbos work off load and centrifugals work off of engine rpm.

I didn't say they were exactly like Turbos, I said they build boost more like a turbo than a roots blower.

As far as the intercooler is concerned, it definitely allows you make more power, run more timing, and run a safer setup.

Atleast we agree on something

Also the TDC kit comes 100% complete with the exhaust system, Spearco Intercooler, boost controller and a ton of other parts.

Again, I don't think I said anything regarding what was in the kit. I just said you need different headers, meaning it will cost more, wether or not it is included or not. And also you would have to do a header swap, which I HAVE done on a 4.6. NOT FUN

In all honesty, people with no experience with the 4.6 market should leave the topic alone.
I never said I have had no experience with the 4.6's, I just said that I am not as familiar with them as I am with 5.0's.

Going back to the reply you initally corrected me on....I can't see anything wrong with that, blowers DO run off of exhaust and blowerd DO run off of the crank. With Turbo's you DO need different headers, and you DO need a intercooler, with a blower you DO NOT need different headers or a intercooler. Tell me I am wrong there. I mean come on, talk about nit-picking, you must be a woman ha ha ha j/k
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

162 hp
Old 12-03-2001, 02:51 PM   #20
LfiveohX
Addicted to the 5.0

I think everyone here is trying to help you by giving you their own opinion (which is probably biased). I will say this, no matter what kit you buy, you will definitely enjoy the power increase. Vortech, Paxton, Procharger, Kenne Bell, etc. are all real good kits. I don't think you will hear many complaints of quality from anyone who owns any of these. What you do need to worry about, if anything, is are you going to want to upgrade after someone with another blown stang or vette blows you off? Probably. I personally think the roots style superchargers are real cool (almost instant full boost), but can the tires hold up from a stop? (I don't know). I would suggest a centrifugal (Vortech, Paxton or Procharger).
For your other issue with resale value, your car is only going to be worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. If you add any supercharger kit, you will have a more difficult time selling it because now you are limiting yourself to those who want that specific model. If I saw two Saleen's for sale, 1 stock and the other modified, I would pick the stock one anyday. Just my opinions on all of this.

For Sale!!!! - Brand new Paxton Novi 2000 Kit for 86-93 Mustangs.
LfiveohX is offline   Reply With Quote