MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Default Superchargers? What to know

Ok, well i've decided that for my mustang i'm going to go with a 5-6 psi S/C. I've been told that with that kind of boost there is no real need to change injectors and such. My budget is going to be around $3k.. dropped down from $4k because of other things, mostly rims and tires i want to add. I'm just wondering whats a good setup to go with that kind of budget and S/C? I was thinking maybe a paxton, or powerdyne. But i'm not sure if i should put in a cam, and maybe some heads as well? Suggestions and tips definitly welcome.
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
TMASTER
Registered Member

you should be fine with the stock injectors if you stay under 6psi. The low budget system: you can get a Vortech Kit used for about $900-1200... then a few other items and your good to go.

But if you got $3,000 to spend, then i would go with a S-trim setup with about 10psi and 24LB injectors... or a quiet powerdyne.

You might want to take into account the shape of your motor before doing a supercharger. You might want to upgrade parts of the motor first to handle the blower
TMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #3
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

1st. Get ready for some awsome power.
2nd. It is a job to get it all on there and get it going, take your time and do not get in a hurry.
3rd. If it don't go right, right away, so be it. It will come around for you. I put one on a speed density car. It took some time. But when It was right, it was right. Simply awsome. I would still have mine but a devorce got mine and thats that. But I did love it.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
Rosco
Registered Member

10 psi sounds great, but even with 10psi wouldn't i need a little lower compression pistons?

The motor runs like it's in great shape. I just recently put a new flex fan on, replaced the valve cover gaskets due to leakage ( everything in the head looks in good shape), put a new water pump on and removed everything to do with a/c. Oh yeah, the car is going to be garaged during winter, so I can take as much time as I wish on doing the job right.

Wondering also if there are things in some of these kits they don't include that any would recommend looking to buy as well. Oh yeah, last question, is it absolutely necessary to get the car dynotuned after installing the supercharger?
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 08-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #5
ArtMan
Registered Member

Talking blown bliss

With a 5-6 psi kit you can keep stock everything, although I would recommend a 155 or 190 lph intank pump and an adustable fuel pressure regulator.

Vortech, Paxton and Procharger all make great enty level blowers like this. ( I would stay away from Powerdyne). The only problem with a 5-6 psi kit is that after you've had it for a few months you'll want 10 psi and so on. Boost is the automotive cocaine.

You don't have to change the stock 5.0 compression ratio (9.1:1)until about 15 psi of boost - don't worry.

I think the suggestion of a used Vortech makes sense. Good Luck.

Rice Hater's Club Member #225
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:02 PM   #6
drudis

Two points:
1. Get a Vortech S-trim
2. See #1.

Dont get e 5-6psi, as they are not enough. Plus the "kit" wont include stuff that you'll need later for more boost (you'll pay twice for waht you should have gotten in the first place).

I stuck an S-trim on my Mustang. BEST single addition I made to the car.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

FYI, a Paxton Novi 2000 can be had for $2500 brand new and will outflow a S-Trim. If you aren't going much above 10 psi, you may want to look into a Novi 1000. They run about $1600-1700 new but you may be able to find one cheaper. The 1000 will flow 5-6 psi out of the box but is capeable of 15 psi which is more than enough for what you're looking for.

With any blower over 5-6 psi, you'll benefit from a bypass valve and maybe some 24lb'ers and a larger fuel pump. I'd go a little bit bigger on the injectors and fuel pump...that way, you won't need the FMU. The FMU is a useless piece of garbage plus the car will be easier to tune without it. With bigger injectors, remember to calibrate your MAF.

Alot of people are biased towards certain brands of superchargers (like myself) but in the end, the choice is up to you. Do your research and read as much material as you can about each brand of blower. $3k is more than enough for what you're looking for. As 88workcar already stated, TAKE YOUR TIME.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:29 AM   #8
Rosco
Registered Member

Ok, now i'm curious. How much boost can i actually run on the stock motor without having to change just about everything? I was told before that 8 psi is pretty much the max you can go without running into problems.

Oh yeah, also i ran into a fellow mustanger who's running about 9 psi with a paxton. He was telling me that it was necessary to goto a dyno and get it tuned after the S/C install. But i'm wondering, is that actually needed?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #9
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

A dynotune isn't NEEDED but it helps. If you have an adj fuel pressure regulator, just set the timing at 10* and play with the fuel pressure until you get it running correctly. You can tune the car well enough without a dyno but the dyno tune can give you a few more ponies.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
Rosco
Registered Member

OK...so the novi 1k can do up to a max of 10 psi? How about the novi 2k?

Also, when i start getting past 6 psi, do i need any other then new injectors, maf, mas? fuel pumps? And how much psi can the stock motor safely handle (with changing minor things)?
Old 08-24-2003, 05:21 PM   #11
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

The NOVI 1000 maxes at 15 psi and the NOVI 2000 maxes at 27 psi

Old 08-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #12
Rosco
Registered Member

OOOO...15 psi..hehe..I like the sound of that... Is there any major difference between the 1k and 2k Novi? other then the psi they come from the factory and the max psi they can create? I also heard that you can swap the crank pulley for an f-150 pulley and get some more boost on the Novi? Just wondering what kind of psi i should be able to push with factory everything before having to build up the bottom end, and get new injectors and such. Thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #13
Rosco
Registered Member

ok, well i've been searching and researching more and more about what I should do to complement the novi 1k blower. I'ev heard that the f150 crank pulley swapped for the one paxton sends, can create 7.5psi of boost. Anyone know about this?

also, i've been reading alot about the FMU and how you should basically bypass it. Any thoughts about this? Going with bigger injectors and such?

Just to let you know, i plan on running the paxton novi 1k for about a year before again upgrading other engine components. Basically going winter to winter. Not sure if that will make a difference with me using the FMU or not.

My GT has no mods, except for flowmasters, a/c delete, and a flex fan. It will be non moded except for the NOVI for about a year. I'm wondering what would be the best setup for my car, as with a new fuel pump, dealing with the FMU, injector sizes, new TB, MAF etc etc.

I want to plan all of this out before winter so I can get an idea of what it's going to cost to deliver 8psi to my stock motor. Thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 07:37 PM   #14
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

The difference between the 1k and 2k besides the output capabilities are the flow #'s of each. I can't quote and #'s off the top of my head but the 2k flows ALOT more air than the 1k. For a street car, the 2k would probably be overkill unless you plan on running more than 15 psi.

Alot of people use the F150 crank pulley because you can get one for ~$20 and it will give you 2-3 psi. That's cheap power. Paxton recently revised the 1k though. It used to be a single belt design (one belt drives the blower and accessories) and now it's a two belt design. With the switch, the F150 can no longer be used. It only works for the 'old style' single belt design.

The FMU is junk. It's just a band-aid for your fuel system and allows you to put the blower on without going with bigger injectors or fuel pump. IMO, the car will be easier to tune WITHOUT the FMU. Just get a set of 30# injectors and a bigger fuel pump and scrap the FMU.

If you can find a used 'old style' 1k (with the single belt) you could pick that up and throw on a F150 crank pulley. With that setup, you'll see 8-9 psi. Also, regardless if you get the old style or new style 1k, you're going to benefit from a bypass valve. The NOVI's seem to run smoother with a bypass valve. The part # can be found somewhere on www.novipower.com and runs about $30. With your stock motor, 8-9 psi should be fine without any worry.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:47 AM   #15
Rosco
Registered Member

ok, this is actually the last real big question I have...for now Someone mentioned to me that with the new novi setup, i will have an issue with a belt rubbing because of having the FMS A/C Delete kit. does anyone know about this? I'm not really sure what the new setup looks like under the hood. thanks alot
Old 08-25-2003, 04:22 PM   #16
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

For any questions about the Novi, register and ask at www.novipower.com . If you're looking at getting a Novi, that's the place to get familiar with.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:33 AM   #17
USMC302
Registered Member

What year F150 crank pulley are we talking? Does it work with the 8 rib vortech and the stock serpentine belt? Also, I would like to ditch the FMU on the wifes car but, would I gain anything from it? I mean is it really hurting anything if the car is running good, is it just easier to tune without it?