MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
03stangGT
Registered Member

Default Vortech on stock 4.6?

Hey all, I'm just currious about putting a vortech V-2 SQ on a stock 4.6 motor. Running the low amount of boost would the motor hold up A ok? The car is a daily driver, not raced much at all. I'd love to s/c my stang, but cant have the motor crap on me a few thousand miles down the road, it needs to be reliable. Also how would the stock trans, and rear end hold up? My car puts close to 260hp to the wheels now, soo most likely 380ish with the s/c. Any information would be great! the more the better! I wouldnt mind hearing from some fello 4.6 s/c'ed owners! btw my car is a 03 gt....and here are the current mods..

U/D pulleys, T/A, Offroad H, 2 chamber flows, steeda sport springs, jd's perf. upper/lower control arms, 3.37s

Thanks!
03stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
PWR_RYD93
Registered Member

If you have a 5 speed, no worries. Adding a reasonable amount of boost (8-10 psi) won't cause premature engine failure. If you have a stock automatic transmission.... that will be your weak link.
Then I went to the doctor.... whoa 312! Hello Lipitor
PWR_RYD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
SleeperGT
Registered Member

I've got almost 60k miles on my '00 GT and the car still runs great. What will the car be like at 150k miles, who knows? The car has about 100 runs at the track on it so far. The car has had the SC on it for over 30k miles. I run 12-15 pounds of boost and rwhp is between 340-390 depending upon what dyno or who's calculator is used, and it will soon be 380-420 once the air-to-air intercooler is installed and the car tuned for it. It sounds like the stock Vortech install would fit you great, and that is a pretty mild application, so you shouldn't be fine for the very long haul.
Anything else let us know!
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:31 AM   #4
03stangGT
Registered Member

I've actually been looking at the procharger setup instead (p1sc) mainly because it comes with a 2 core intercooler, oor for like another 100 bucks I can get the 3 core, also its self contained, soo I dont have to tap the oil pan! Anyone know any places to get the s/c set ups cheap? the cheapest I have seen that kit for my car was about $36XX with the 3 core intercooler. Thanks for the info guys. hopefully within a few months my baby will be blown!

btw pwr_ryd93, it is a 5sp, and thinking about upgrading to the tko!
03stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:45 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 03stangGT
I've actually been looking at the procharger setup instead (p1sc) mainly because it comes with a 2 core intercooler, oor for like another 100 bucks I can get the 3 core, also its self contained, soo I dont have to tap the oil pan! Anyone know any places to get the s/c set ups cheap? the cheapest I have seen that kit for my car was about $36XX with the 3 core intercooler. Thanks for the info guys. hopefully within a few months my baby will be blown!

btw pwr_ryd93, it is a 5sp, and thinking about upgrading to the tko!
look into the mongoose kits at
t&j performance www.modularfordpowerhouse.com
tim is a great tuner and you wont find better service or a better price on a complete tuned supercharger setup

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
PWR_RYD93
Registered Member

Maybe I'm just old school.... but I still don't trust the "self contained" style blowers.

The small amount of time and effort required to tap the oil pan is far out weighed by the advantages of having a constant flow of filtered engine oil lubing the s/c bearings and gears.
Then I went to the doctor.... whoa 312! Hello Lipitor
PWR_RYD93 is offline   Reply With Quote