View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 08:18 AM   #7
crazypete
Registered Member

My humble opinion is that it doesnt matter what it used to be, it matter what it is now. Most of the factory stuff 4cyl/8cyl is crap and gets replaced very fast by the owners. If this stang has mods then the previous owner did some of your work for you =)

That said....

I owned an 87 LX 5.0 and a 91 gt 5.0 and they are _identical_. I took both cars apart to BITS AND PIECES and all the bits and pieces are exactly the same. The only difference is some ground fx and a light bar for the GT and the GT seats have a little lumbar motors in them only. The foglight switch, if it is an actual switch and not a dummy fake switch, is also only in the GT's but the switches burn out all the time and most stangers have gone through a couple replacements, usually getting the double switch along the way. That's about it. All mustangs come pre-wired for all accessories even if not installed. I found random empty harnesses all over my 87 lx 5.0. Probably if it has cruise control, it was a GT originally.

Now...

The 4 banger had different springs up front and a weaker rear axle (7.9 inch?) BUT if it has 4.10's then I assume it was upgrded to an 8.8 since I dont think the 7.9(?) has many gear kits for it. I think the 4 banger also had a smaller swaybar. Bottom line: does the body roll and does the suspension feel right? I used the 4 cyl t-5 for years and whaled on it. It will hold for quite a while if you dont put stickies on it. As for the engine controls, if it has the 5.0 HO motor, then it has the ECU and all necessary sensors and wiring.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote