MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2000, 11:18 PM   #1
dolphinron
Registered Member

Post ford racing superchargers

I have a 00 GT and would like to know if anybody has put on a ford supercharger? How is it? Is it loud or quieter like the Vortech II? Also, would ford be a good choice to let them put it on?
dolphinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2000, 07:35 AM   #2
cravnpup
Registered Member

Good question, I am wondering the same thing. What I do know is that it's a roots-type which won't put out as much as the Vortech at the top end, but it will have the advantage at the bottom and midrange..
If anyone can answer the other questions it would be greatly appreciated...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N
Future Mods: Too Many to list
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 01:43 PM   #3
blown97GT
Registered Member

The roots type blower will be quieter than a vortech. You will experience more boost at lower rpm, but on the street this could be a disadvantage unless you can plant all that power to the ground i.e slicks. They are both good blowers but the reason i went w/ vortech is b/c if you ever upgrade or build a better engine the vortech just needs a different pulley to add more boost. Whereas a roots type will only put out 9lbs. of boost maximum i believe. Just something to think about.

------------------
12lb. vortech,svo heads and headers,Pro80M,70MMTB,steeda aluminum radiator,30lb. injectors,MSD,cobra front fascia,hood,wheels,eibach,3.73 gears w/ steeda triax,offroad h pipe w/ flows,forged pistons,dyno tuned at 395rwhp.
blown97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 03:55 AM   #4
dolphinron
Registered Member

you mention 9lbs of boost, could you please explain to a rookie what that means? In the ford racing catalog they are selling a supercharger for the 98 GT with 6lbs of boost, what is the difference with more or less boost, and what can I expect with 6lbs?
Thanks

------------------
2000 clearcoat black GT
K&N, silencer removed
dolphinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 07:32 AM   #5
cravnpup
Registered Member

I think what blown97GT is refering to is a pulley change. When you change the size of the pulley that turns the supercharger you change the speed of the supercharger. Decreasing the size of the pulley will increase boost above the normal rating. However, due to design of the supercharger, the roots-type blower (Ford Racing) phyically cannot spin as fast as the centrifugal blower (Vortech). The faster you spin a supercharger, the more heat you are creating, and so there is a limit to how fast each supercharger can be spun. So they only sell different pulley sizes based on the superchargers speed limitations. That is why you can only get 9lbs max out of the roots-type and can get 12lbs max out of the Vortech. For engines with the stock internal components, it is reccomended that you use a maximum of 6-8lbs of boost. With 6lbs you should see an 80-100 hp increase, with 8lbs you should see 100-120 hp over stock.

I hope this helps...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N
Future Mods: Too Many to list

[This message has been edited by cravnpup (edited 08-16-2000).]
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 05:30 PM   #6
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Guys the FRPP root-style S/C is not available for the 99-00 GTs yet. Currently Roxanne Shepard is running a prototype version that may hit the market by Spring of 01. The latest MM&FF has her car captioned on pg 132.
And the hp and trq gains will be impressive for the 99-00 GTs. She ran a 12.54 in the Modular class at World Ford in St. Louis.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2000, 08:52 AM   #7
Black99GT
Registered Member

Saleen offers the roots style blower for $3600 and claims 350 HP. Its for 96-00 2V Mustangs.

------------------
Black 99 GT
3.73 gears
Mac power chamber
2 chamber Flows
Mac cold air induction
steeda tri-ax
Nitto drag radials
13.62 @ 109 (using a G-tech pro)
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/MediaDL.cgi?Home_Video+movies+Black99GT-burnem+mpg
Black99GT is offline   Reply With Quote