View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 12:41 PM   #53
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1965GTO
I believe some of the other people responding to this thread have said that there is a 60lb. weight difference and if that weight is on the rear due to the glass hatch then the weight distribution is better. And lightweight is not everything. Who said anything about being serious? What do you mean serious? If I am bracket racing a stock car with street tires I am not serious to you? The more aerodynamic car will run more consistent times if the wind changes. The car with better traction will cut more consistent lights. You can't put any size slick you want on a stock car. Your not allowed to run slicks without a driveshaft loop. If you are talking all out modification of the cars then the weights will end up being the same except you will still have the aero advantage with the slope back and will have a faster car, power being equal.
If weight distribution isnt a major issue, like its not on the mustang, why would you want to carry extra weight (the extra weight also hurts handling, by the way) as long as the car is getting traction? Drag cars should be getting traction if they are serious about running good times. If they are serious about running good times, they want the lightest car available. Therefore notch cars are better for the strip.

I dont think any aerodynamic advantage the hatch might have over the notch means crap on a 1/4 track. Might be nice for highway cruising, but not much else.

High horspower and light weight rules at the drag strip. Its not a complicated formula. I suppose your points could have merit in some cases, but I think overall, the notch cars are better at the strip, which has generally been proven at the strip anyway already.

Now on a street tired car easing off the line to avoid losing traction, is the extra weight on the back gonna help you get off the line fast enough to overcome your weight disadvantage? I seriously dont think so. If your easing out of the hole because you will blow the tires otherwise, a few extra pounds on the rear dont mean much. Even if you do get off the line slightly faster, I think by mid track the weight advantage would overcome you, power being equal.

ps- after re-reading your post, I see you are talking about bracket racing. I concur, the hatch could have advantages in bracket racing. I was talking about heads up drag racing, not a class where a 18 second Lincoln town car could win.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote