MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-13-2001, 12:46 AM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Question 1.7 Roller Rockers, Hand Porting Exhaust Side Of Stock Heads... Good Idea???

ok, i want to get more power out of my car, so once its off the road (oct 23) i am planning on taking the top half of the motor appart.

i want to port the exhaust side of the heads, possibly add 1.7rrs(is it worth it?). What size rrs will i need for the stock heads? is there anything else i should think of doing to freshen up my 175000km motor while the heads are off?

i dont have a lot of money, so i think hand porting the exhaust side might be cheap & effective.

how much power could i expect?

yhanks

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 12:59 AM   #2
mustanger82
Registered Member

Talking

You chose the right side of the head to port at least the exhast ports on fords are pitiful for flow, umm word of advise when porting watch out for the exhast cross over right on the ouside edge of the exhast port going to far can be bad, and the air injection port( the big lump in the middle of the port) is the big restrictor in the port so grind it flush with the top of the the port, dont go any farther than you know is safe so if you've never done it b4 find someone who knows and get them to do one port with you so you get hang of it, the rockers are a good idea, there should be no issues unless you've changed cams the you should check for valve clearance best of luck
my 2 cents
sean Kisch
mustanger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:14 AM   #3
avbcon12
Registered Member

hey guys, i too am looking into doing the same thing this winter. i just dont understand what type or brand rockers i should get to fit under the stock covers? also, do i get pedistol or what? which bolt direclty up to the head without any problems?

thanks for the help.

Adam
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:22 AM   #4
Coupe Devil

You will tell a difference just in the porting. I did it when i rebuilt my motor and i could really tell a difference. I went pretty big but the main thing is to get rid of that nasty air injection port. If you add rockers I would say tou'll pick up 12 to 15 horse just in those two mods i think. let us know how it goes.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 3.73's, summit rear cover. Future Mods Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley ??? d.p.carb., built t-5, e-303, pulleys, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, ATI procharger kit for carb and then the big motor after a year or two, 408 stroker form a 351.

Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:35 AM   #5
matt cook
Registered Member

I am doing the same thing with a pair of E7's and 1.7's this winter also - it sounds like we may have a little support group here.

I have the stock aluminum valve covers on my 82GT - who knows if the rockers will fit under these?

------------------
1982 Mustang GT
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 11:33 AM   #6
jetuomi
Registered Member

OK, I'll join, I too want to port my heads !!

I've got an article from MM&FF, I'll try to find it soon,and post it up !
its really good tho!

and,yes, Fordported the exhaust on the 98 4.6 litre for that extra 10 HP, upto 225..
So,we could expect about that, maybe a bit more...

------------------
94 GT (triple black)
FMS (9mm, 95 17" Cobra R's, AL Driveshaft, 3.27's)
K&N, 12* timing, MSD Coil, 180* thermostat
MAC Shifter/Gauges/Pedals, Euro Clear Projectors & Corners
My CAR!

jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 02:09 AM   #7
elmir50
Registered Member

The best spot in the motor to gain some power BowTie is with a fresh pair of heads. While you have them apart I would recommend that you have a valve job done, look into buying some new valves. Get new springs for sure, the stock ones are junk. Crane cams makes the energizer series of roller rockers. They are good, affordable as well. Make sure to specify pedestal mount rockers. There is one excellent book out there that goes over porting stock heads. It's titled Mustang Performance Handbook by Mathis I think. I can scan the stuff for you when I have time if you like.
elmir50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 09:45 AM   #8
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I am doing a porting of my heads right now look at how It goes http://64.136.37.167
/mustang_in_the_shop.htm

------------------
14.28@103.0 on a G-Tech Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, World Class T-5,
NOW it is time for Real power STUFF I Have and will put on after I get everthing: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP.
Next to get: rocker arms,Cam,TFS Heads,Injectors 26,Holley intake, What might I need???
See It at <A HREF="http://www.computerconquest.com" TARGET=_blank>www.computer

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 10:24 AM   #9
Coupe Devil

Ok since I am going to be using the carb set up when I put the 306 in the 93 model would it be good or not to finish porting and polishing the heads. I am adding a e-cam, 1.6 or 1.7 rockers and new springs while im doing the swap. Also I am using the Weiand stealth intake. I was thinking about port matching the intake and the runners on the heads. Good idea?

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 3.73's, summit rear cover. Future Mods Flex-a-lite elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley ??? d.p.carb., built t-5, e-303, pulleys, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, ATI procharger kit for carb and then the big motor after a year or two, 408 stroker form a 351.

Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 10:15 AM   #10
John
Registered Member

I just did my heads, along w/ cam & intake swap. Get the valve job done after porting, i got 3 angle, along w/ crane springs and decked them .010. Be careful not to nick the valves or you'll have to get new ones(i did ). I also hogged out the intake side, theres not much to do on the intake side but clean them up. Don't do to much or you'll go through the pushrod hole ( i did that also ) Labor cost should be around 150-200 for valve job 200 is high in my opinion. Mine was done for 145 for vj 80 to deck them. Good luck and wear goggles, those exhaust port are quite small use a carbide bit in your die grinder to get the bulk of material out, get a cheap port polish kit to clean everything up mine was $28 from machine shop. TAKE YOUR TIME. John

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core , FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Flowmasters, 73 mm MAF, cobra intake and crower #512 cam,
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 01:55 PM   #11
John
Registered Member

Old 09-15-2001, 01:57 PM   #12
John
Registered Member

Old 09-15-2001, 02:00 PM   #13
John
Registered Member