MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-08-2001, 05:52 PM   #1
Scappoose
Registered Member

Question 1.7 roller rockers

I have to crack open the valve covers to change the valve seals on my car and Iwas thinking about junking the stock rockers on my currently stock '91 for some rollers while I was in there and had it apart. I really don't want to get into modifying the heads for bigger studs, then saw the stock Cobra rockers are bolt-ons at 1.7. I've also heard anything bigger than 1.6 is too much for the stock valve springs. Is this true, or will the Cobras bolt on okay? Or should I bag the whole deal until I have the dough to do up the heads right? As I'm new to the 5.0 modification game, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
91 GT
69 GT
69 Mach I
Scappoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:28 PM   #2
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

i've heard different oppinions on whether they are worth it or not

but the big thing is that you have to replace your valve springs when you do it, especially with high mileage, or you wont notice much if any gain from the higher lift

you have to take the valve springs off anyway to get to the seals so might as well replace the springs anyway, i got a set of comp cams springs for like 60 bucks

i had the 1.7s with the stock springs and noticed no gain at the track, and also noticed a little later that the valves would float at 5400rpm and up, then replaced the springs and it was smooth all the way to 6000

also a combination of the valve springs and VERY cold weather i picked up over 5mph in the 1/4mi, (mostly because of the temp)

BUT, if you plan on putting a cam in anyway then go with the 1.6 rollers

have fun

------------------
88 Notch, B&M Ripper, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, full exhaust,65mm TB, Nitto DR's, new best 1/4--> 13.42@106.18 (1.89 short time)
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:18 PM   #3
Scappoose
Registered Member

Yeah, good point. The whole package will make it a little too much to do this time of year. I'll probably just wait till I get the new heads and get the rockers for the bigger studs. Guess I'll fix the problem and invest in some different goody.
Thanks.
Scappoose is offline   Reply With Quote