MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2001, 10:21 PM   #1
john_86stang
Registered Member

Question Are 13's possible?

My mods are in my sig below. I bought this car in Dec. of 2000. The day after I bought it. I changed the oil and set the timing and went for a benchmark run. 15.60 @92.8MPH(on G-tech) This car was a 5-speed now a C-4 car with street stall and shift kit. I am bad wanting to get into the 13's. Any ideas?

P.S. I bolted the underdrive crank pulley(ASP) didn't produce any gain(matter of fact went slower) My ET and MPH peaked at 14.34 and 100 and has steadily went down hill. Will o2 sensors cause this? Sorry so long. Thanks

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe w/ 2-chamber Flows, No smog pump or A/C, crank pulley, K&N in stock box, adj. FPR, bypassed EGR(coolant) Best Run 14.34 @100.0 MPH (on G-Tech)
john_86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 11:30 PM   #2
82 GT
Import Slayer

You didn't mention if you had excessive tire spin or not. I also don't know how acurate those G-tech units are but I would go to the drag strip and compare times.
Running 13's is definately possible with 5.0 and 4.6 mustangs. Anyone on this board will tell you that.
I bet with GT-40 heads and intake and a 65mm T/B you will be well into the 13's

------------------
'82 GT 351W,BBK shorties,
Comp Cam,edelbrock intake
625 cfm carter carb. c-4 tranny w/ pro stick shifter. 4 core radiator
Mallory distributor. 3:27

82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 08:50 AM   #3
john_86stang
Registered Member

No traction problem at all, just put a set of McCreary's(G-60) on recently. These things hook up great. As for the G-tech I use it for reference only, it runs .10 faster on ET and 2-3 MPH off, when I've compared it at the track, I use it as a troubleshooting tool. It lets me know if I'm improving or not, it's off a little, but as far as I can tell it's off the same every time.

I was just wondering if I could get into the 13's with my stock setup, only bolt on mods. I'm so close, I'd like to go 13.? before I put the N20 on. Any suggestions?

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe w/ 2-chamber Flows, No smog pump or A/C, crank pulley, K&N in stock box, adj. FPR, bypassed EGR(coolant) Best Run 14.34 @100.0 MPH (on G-Tech)
Old 03-19-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

if i can do it with crappy street tires and that slow grandma underneath (the AOD) then you should be able to with that much traction in a c-4 with a high stall, your actual MPH from your best run on the G-tech would be about 96-97, which probably means you may need just a little more power to get there, but you never know, do a complete tune up, air up the fronts, launch as hard as you can and se what happens

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Explorer intake, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rocker and intake install
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 10:22 AM   #5
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Get an upper intake off an 87+ with a 60mm t/b, it'll make a difference. Also, if you can, get a set of E7TE heads, and then you'd have the extra kick you'd need to get into the 13's with some minor tweaking. This of course is assuming you have the stock 86 intake and heads.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 11:03 PM   #6
john_86stang
Registered Member

Exclamation

Yes my motor is completely a stock 86 motor. Is the 87 and later upper manifold different? And will it bolt on to my 86 lower? What about throttle body? What year did the E7TE heads come on? Will they work in my 86 with no piston relief. Sorry for so many questions, but I'm on a learning curve here. Thanks, I'm so close to 13's

------------------
John Welch
Old 03-26-2001, 11:01 AM   #7
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Yes, the upper off an 87-93 will fit, I ran one for about 2 years, they have a 60mm Throttle body (stock), the runners were revised a little and do make a slight bit more power, the lowers are the same so don't worry.

Make sure when you find an 87+ upper, it has H.O. cast under the intake cover plate.

The E7TE heads are on 87-93 Mustang LX and GTs. They'll have that cast on them. They will work with the stock 86 pistons well, just put on new valve springs to avoid floating the valves at high rpm.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote