MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Horsepower TV's response to my e-mail (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=30457)

MTU 50 10-24-2002 01:02 PM

Horsepower TV's response to my e-mail

Here is my e-mail, I decided to kind of let them have it, because in my opinion a stereo install and a wing addition have absolutely nothing to do with Horsepower

"Since you don't have a feedback email address listed, I am using this forum instead. How in the hell does installing a stereo in a crappy honda civic have anything to do with Horsepower? You should call yourself, "RicerTv". Get back to working on real cars with big blocks, small blocks, or even sixes. This 4 cylinder crap is ridiculous. This is one viewer who is not watching if this is the type of material you are going to show. Gaining 4 hp on a caback install on a honda IS NOT exciting television."

And here is their response:

"Jeff-95% of our season content is devoted to Ford, Chevy, or MOPAR. Why we even built up an AMC motor this year! Working on a Honda may not be your idea of performance but we did want to give younger viewers on a limited budget an opportunity to see what $6,500 can purchase in upgrades.

We're American iron guys through and through but performance is a big tent.

Thanks for taking the time to write us-we appreciate your comments. Richard"

Maybe some younger viewers are into real performance. At 22, I'm hardly an old timer. I should have included my age to show them that some of us younger guys liked the content their shows use to present.

The "$6,500 in upgrades" bothered me too. They might as well call it upgrade tv then. Again, how does a stereo and wing install on a Honda have anything to do with horsepower? You can do a lot with $6500 worth of mods on say...........um............I don't know..............maybe.......a 5.0L Mustang! Don't want to use a domestic, find a DSM and put money into that. It would be more exciting than a civic stereo install.

I got it, they can call it Modification TV.

I know I am making a big deal out of one topic on their show, but it is a disturbing trend of catering to this ricer/import/slow market. I mean, if you want to upgrade an import, can't you find an old DSM or something so you can at least get some decent performance numbers? If these TV shows and magazines continue this junk, it is just going to further the problem and popularity of this annoying trend.

Eric4Nitrous 10-24-2002 01:42 PM

I really don't watch the show anymore. They show the same stuff over and over and over. But you have to remember..Imports are where it's at right now. If you got paid the same as what those two cats do for advertising import crap you'd do it to.

this is not cbring 10-24-2002 01:45 PM

what if they bought an acura or honda, did the bolt-ons and some suspension tuning, then ran it at an autocross.......or added a supercharger or turbo

they should have a show for turbos........basic boost controller installation, air to fuel, boost spike, and all that..........i'd watch almost religiously

Stang_Crazy 10-24-2002 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by this is not cbring

they should have a show for turbos

I think should is the operative word. It's an excellent idea for a show though!!

NotchJohnson 10-24-2002 07:49 PM

"ricer/import/slow market" :D LMFAO:D Man thats classic! Thats cool you wrote the email, its funny how 6500 in mods is considered budget though. If I put 6500 bucks into my car, Id have a "budget" 11 sec. ride!

MTU 50 10-24-2002 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NotchJohnson
"ricer/import/slow market" :D LMFAO:D Man thats classic! Thats cool you wrote the email, its funny how 6500 in mods is considered budget though. If I put 6500 bucks into my car, Id have a "budget" 11 sec. ride!
Thats what I'm saying. Put the money into mods that give the car power and for petes sake, don't do it on a civic.

Five0 10-24-2002 08:12 PM

I would rather see them work on a real car but if they are going to do a civic then the least they could do is make it faster with performance upgrades and not a wing and stereo. I would even like to see what 6500 dollars would do for a civic if they put it into making it faster. Maybe a before and an after 1/4 mile time and hp. It is called horsepower tv then make it about horsepower not stereo and body kit tv.
I would not even watch the show if they were doing a stereo and hood or wing on a mustang and I damn sure don't want to see it on rice.

mustangII460 10-24-2002 10:16 PM

I think its just their half asprin way of trying to enter a new market.

But where the hebbies to they do their research at, McDonalds? I agree that $6500.00 is OVER budget. Geez, the motor I could have with that.

The show should be called "Waste someones money T.V." A stereo mod has nothing to do with HP, period. They do not attempt to answer that.

Now that I think of it, about all those shows do mods that 95% of us can not afford. "Yeah heres a nifty item just go to the store and slap down thousands for this, bla bla bla bla."

PKRWUD 10-25-2002 01:02 AM

I think it's killer. Hopefully the "youngsters' will learn from it. $6500 for mods with a Honda, and the HPTV guys spent it on a stereo and a wing. Think about it. If that's not the ultimate slap in the face, I don't know what is. They basically told the Honda boys that performance mods were a waste of time and money with a vehicle that was designed for economy.

Rejoice. Our root beliefs regarding these vehicles was substantiated by a couple of hicks in a garage in Tennessee.

Hey, it's a start!

Take care,
~Chris

inferno 10-25-2002 02:08 AM

The 6500 was total, not for the mods. I agree, the body kit, rims, stereo and wing were definately not needed. The money that they spent on that crap could have been used to get some better performance out of the car. But then again, they have been on a cosmetic fix lately. They put a Cobra R hood on a 94-95 GT vert, and a tonneau cover and some other cheesy cosmetic crap.

Crazy Horse GT 10-25-2002 02:19 AM

i agree inferno, put the money under the hood , not on useless body & stereo mod's, that's why i like your attitude make it run fast, not look like it will, yeah i might add a little something to make my car different than everyone elses car, but i want speed, give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which i desire. ;) :D :D :D :cool:

jj_jonathon 10-25-2002 06:41 AM

Consider it a lousy episode. Every show has them every season. But that is crazy how they used $6500 on a stereo, wing and catback system...geez I hope the stereo stops your heart....lol

Fox Body 10-25-2002 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mustangII460
...Now that I think of it, about all those shows do mods that 95% of us can not afford. "Yeah heres a nifty item just go to the store and slap down thousands for this, bla bla bla bla."
LOL. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean... :D. Well, it's a TV Show and that's pretty much all it will ever be, for entertainment. Somehow, though, I seem to care less and less-- maybe I'm just lazy...

DAN-MAN 10-26-2002 11:15 PM

Horsepower TV is starting to suck anymore. I thought the show was about building up engines, trannies, modding cars, working on suspensions, etc.. If these guys want to do rice rockets now, then they might as well call themsleves RiceRocket TV. I don't even watch the show that much anymore because I'm just angry with it.

Daniel.

DAN-MAN 10-26-2002 11:20 PM

Oh yeah, something else I forgot to mention. How many people do you know that have $6500 dollars just laying around that they can spend on a freaking Honda?! Or any car for that matter?!

Daniel.

The Fireman 10-26-2002 11:26 PM

Hey at least they answered your e-mail. They never do mine.:mad: :rolleyes:

87t_top 10-27-2002 01:48 AM

i know.....

I know this is a lil off the topic of you emailing them, but it still has to do with imports... a couple weeks ago on MTV? i think it was.. they had something on street racing n all that bull.. dont know if any of you watched it or not, but....anyway.... they went to a drag strip that was setup to let people race on the strip and not on the street tryin to get people to race on the strip and not the street..yadda yadda.. anyways, they talked to some guy, and he was like, "we buy these 4 cylinder imports to build them up to have power and make them go fast"..something to that affect... then he comes back with "It's no fun to buy a V8, because they already have the power"... so right then i was thinkin, and yellin at the tv.. why the **** would you buy the 4cyl. when you can buy the V8 and have the power, and build the V8 up, and have even more power.... i mean c'mon...it's common sense... i mean duurrrrhh

DAN-MAN 10-27-2002 12:18 PM

I know what your talking about as far as the special. I never saw it. I'm hoping that MTV will replay it so I can see it. Your right as far as that common sense deal. That's pretty stupid to make a comment like that. Also, it irks me that MTV would do such a special with the import crowd. I think they should have included us domestic owners as well.

Daniel.

5.0 Pony 10-27-2002 10:43 PM

Whatever, Im 17 and i consider Honda Civic's the worst car ever made. I dont care if he wants to see if younger viewers will watch or not, its still HORSEPOWER TV. I watch it to see the build ups and the add-ons that give actual gains, not to see some riceburning pos get up to 170 hp with 6500 dollars. Give me a break with 6500 dollars, do u know what you could do with a 5.0 mustang!?? Everyone says that kids by their civics bc they are cheaper to maintain and cheaper period. Now, they are not cheaper by any means, and if kids are gonna buy em for that reason dont dump a couple grand into the stereo system and another grand on "phat rims yo". Seriously, nut up and show us what WE want to see, not someboies mom's car that wants to break 150hp. yank yank:rolleyes:

Motorhead302 10-28-2002 02:55 PM

Aren't those the same idiots that like two years back put heads, cam, intake, injectors, throttle body, mass air, pulleys, clutch, 3.73's, slicks, and nitrous onto an LX hatch, and went 9.2's in the eighth off the bottle and 8.9's on?
That was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I mean, my LX runs 8.6's and 8.7's, and all it has are rockers, pulleys, exhaust and gears.