View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 08:55 PM   #14
PKRWUD

Less rotational mass, half the weight to move, and an engine that reaches and sustains higher rpms quicker.

I've been telling people about our Sprint car for over a year, but not too many seem to pick up on all of the significances, and how they could be applied to 1/4 mile racing.

We put out a conservative 725 hp n/a, in a 1200 pound vehicle, with driver. That's two horsepower for every 3 pounds of vehicle weight. Not many racecars can say that. We also run a direct drive to a Winters rear end, so there is no transmission, flywheel, or even a starter. The rear end weighs next to nothing. It has a one piece aluminum axle, and a final ratio of 6.86:1.

The engine works well by driving the water pump off the front of the crank, and the fuel pump and p/s pump off the back of the cam. It has no belts or pullies, no battery or alternator, and 5 radiator hoses (one going in the bottom of the engine, and four coming out of the top.

It's got a hillborn mechanical fuel injection system, with 4 dual throttle bodies.

Now, there are obviously some differences that wouldn't transfer from a paved 1/4 mile to a clay oval 1/4 mile, but there are many that would.

Why does the NHRA outlaw the rearends we use? They are very light, but very strong. Our driveshaft looks more like an axle. I used to race 1/4 mile, and I can't help but think about how many advantages there are to be learned from Sprints. It revs to 8k rpms faster than you could blink.

You would still need a transmission, but the advantages of lessening the rotaing mass are obvious! Try a driveline like ours, and I think you'd be very impressed. You might need a 2 speed for the 1/4, but it should work in the 1/8th.

Hmmmm. I need another project.

Good thread!

Take care,
ÅChris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote