MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
Tikitoes
Registered Member

Post exhaust system

I want to get a really loud and beefy sounding exhaust system for my 01 GT i need some suggestions for the loudest sounding exhoust
Tikitoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
gtjeremy
Registered Member

get an off road mac h pipe into flowmasters. sounds awesome!
gtjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
Wikkd GT
Registered Member

I am wondering what the "off road" means? Is that mean that it is not street legal, or won't pass emissions? Please explain. Thanks alot.
Wikkd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #4
96_4.6
Registered Member

Offroad means theres no cat's and therefore is illegal but I'd say 8 out of 10 stangs have them anyways.

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

I would go with the mac prochamber and mac pro dumps it you want loud....

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
sc99gt
Registered Member

I just put a Magna Flow performance w/ a prochamber on my 99 GT . I was also pulled over by
the Medina County Sherif in Ohio for excessive display of speed because the car sounds so
aggressive and loud I wasn't evan getting on it ,that' s the funny part . I was low on gas and with
my vortech it will suck air in a hart beat if I'm not careful. anyway what I like best is, although it is
very loud outside it is tolerable in side unlike flow masters wich seem louder inside the car then
out
sc99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by explicitone
I would go with the mac prochamber and mac pro dumps it you want loud....

Now that is loud. In some places, illegal loud.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #8
jj_jonathon
Trisket

single chamber flows will turn heads your direction for at least a square mile...lol

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 09:58 PM   #9
GTJules99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wikkd GT
I am wondering what the "off road" means? Is that mean that it is not street legal, or won't pass emissions? Please explain. Thanks alot.
I have off road H pipe and 2 chamber flows and mine passes emissions. The sound is the typical "Mustang" sound. I love it.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:45 PM   #10
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

off road H pipe = No cats = no emissions control. Don't take us for fools... you can not 'pass' any form of emission tests.

I have an off-road MacProchamber with flowmaster series 40. Its very loud. Local enforcement keeps reminding me. Last night I even had a threat of EPA verification for pollutions. Monday I will order some Hiflow Cats.

Keep in mind also that getting a less restricted/better flow exaust will have a significant impact on your hp/torque curve. Sepcifically for the SOHC. It will loose a considerable amount of off the line torque... but gain on the top of every gear. It made me slower. Unless I compensate with a chip (to remap fuel) or a bit of back pressure (hiflow cats)... I can not run faster.

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:17 AM   #11
GTJules99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard King
off road H pipe = No cats = no emissions control. Don't take us for fools... you can not 'pass' any form of emission tests.

I have an off-road MacProchamber with flowmaster series 40. Its very loud. Local enforcement keeps reminding me. Last night I even had a threat of EPA verification for pollutions. Monday I will order some Hiflow Cats.

Keep in mind also that getting a less restricted/better flow exaust will have a significant impact on your hp/torque curve. Sepcifically for the SOHC. It will loose a considerable amount of off the line torque... but gain on the top of every gear. It made me slower. Unless I compensate with a chip (to remap fuel) or a bit of back pressure (hiflow cats)... I can not run faster.
Sorry I didn't take you for a fool.

My car does pass emissions. It does not pass the visual but it does however pass the sniffer test. I've had it done two years in a row with the Off Road H and it has passed with flying colors.

The set up I have made the car faster. I don't have a chip either.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:50 PM   #12
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Ok. so you have cats welded to look like the pipe? But why?

Old 06-17-2003, 10:03 AM   #13
GTJules99
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok. so you have cats welded to look like the pipe? But why?
Ummmmm.............NO.

I don't have any cats, not even a shell welded to the H, plain and simple, no cats, it's an Off Road H pipe. Like I said it passes the sniffer test with no problem.

Obviously somthing is wrong with your car if you can't pick up any power with off road H and mufflers. People have been putting exhaust and no cats on for years and picking up power. Besides why would companies sell them and why would people buy them if it was somthing that was bad for the car and produced LESS power, people would especially not buy them if it took away low end TQ, since low end TQ is pretty much all you can feel when driving the car on the street. The butt-o-meter can't feel a bump in power unless it is like 15-20 HP.

Before you go off insulting me or giving other incorrect information maybe you should reseach your facts and get them straight before you spout off talking about stuff you obviously dont know a thing about.

Thanks
Jules
Old 06-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Hey Jules,

your sniffer doesn't test much then. A 'catless' car wouldn't pass in Ontario.

My torque curve is none existant idle ... i'm sure it is higher at it's peak though. My HP curve has moved up on my RPM scale, and the car could benefit from an extra 500RPM. Proof is in the pudding. I used to launch both of my stangs from idle to get the best results on radials. Now I have to rev just under 2000rpm to prevent the car from chocking. I chrip third everysingle time without effort where as before I used to have to powershift to do it. I'm sure a chip to remap my fuel line would help out greatly.

The problem with most people out there is they base everything on peak HP/TQ, and never consider what happens on other parts of the curve. So companies market Peak performance gains and people buy into them.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #15
PatrickCarter
Registered Member

Chill out dude, if her car passes it passes, her car is inspected in TX not ontario so what does that matter? The companies market their products based on their peak HP/TQ gain yes, but also there are many companies out there, so you the consumer can research and make a inteligent decision. I am sorry your car has seemed to lose low end TQ, that usually isnt the case, backpressure i.e. restriction in the exhaust will almost always decrese power, One thing you need to look at is area under the curve not just how the curve is shaped, you could figure out the area under the curve mathmatically and that is a better indication of what power you picked up, i garentee that when comparing area under the curve you make more power, you may have to adapt your driving style, but you will make more power.

sorry to the originator of this post, it shouldnt have gotten this off topic.

Patrick
PatrickCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:23 PM   #16
GTJules99
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Jules, your sniffer doesn't test much then. A 'catless' car wouldn't pass in Ontario.
The sniffer test is done in TEXAS, and the two different oil change places that I had it done at were working just fine. Possibly your Canadian sniffers are set at a different level then the ones in the US.

I've always had to rev the car when racing, even before the Off-road, or else it would bog, street tires/DR's/slicks.

Not trying to start ****, I just posted what my experiences were. So, to each her/his own. I don't have problems with my Off-Road H and you do.

Jules

Last edited by GTJules99; 06-17-2003 at 08:33 PM..
GTJules99 is offline   Reply With Quote