MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
cbr900
Registered Member

Default 1994gt

Sorry for the dumb question..but i just bought my first mustang 94 GT manual..I noticed the tranny was leaking slightly..I wanna no how to check the fluid and top it off until i get the time to replace the seal...sorry i laid under there and couldnt figure it out...also i get alot of vibratin in the shifter in 4th and 5th over 70mph..any ideas on that..it has a aftermarket shifter....thanks
cbr900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: 1994gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr900 View Post
Sorry for the dumb question..but i just bought my first mustang 94 GT manual..I noticed the tranny was leaking slightly..I wanna no how to check the fluid and top it off until i get the time to replace the seal...sorry i laid under there and couldnt figure it out...also i get alot of vibratin in the shifter in 4th and 5th over 70mph..any ideas on that..it has a aftermarket shifter....thanks
There are two plugs of the passenger side of the tranny. The top on e is to fill and the bottom is to drain. Remove the top plug and put Automatic tranny fluid in it till it starts to leak out the fill hole and you are good to go.

as far as your vibration goes the first thing i would do is change the U-joints and make sure the 4 12mm bolts that hold the shaft to the rear are loc tighted and tight. If that doesnt fix it get the tires balanced.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
cbr900
Registered Member

thanksfor the info...is there any type fluid you recamend for the tranny?..
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
thanksfor the info...is there any type fluid you recamend for the tranny?..

I always use mobil 1 synthetic automatic fluid. It is expensive but it make the tranny shift and operate soooo smooth.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
cbr900
Registered Member

sorry man..last stupid question...but why automatic fluid...not doubting you just trying to learn a little...when i took it to the lube shop they didnt know what fluid to use and told me the fill plug is a rubber groment with a sensor and i had to take it to the dealer to have it checked..thanks again bro for all the help
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
sorry man..last stupid question...but why automatic fluid...not doubting you just trying to learn a little...when i took it to the lube shop they didnt know what fluid to use and told me the fill plug is a rubber groment with a sensor and i had to take it to the dealer to have it checked..thanks again bro for all the help
I happen to have a 1994 T5 sitting in my garage, I just went and looked at it and i was correct about the fill hole location. Put a short extension on a 3/8 ratchet and it will fit in the fill hole to remove the plug.

I am not sure why t5's take auto fluid but I assure you they do.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
cbr900
Registered Member

thanks again i appreciate the help gonna go jack it up here in a minute and check it out....
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
USMC302
Registered Member

Dark 5.0 is right, use the ATF in the T5, it's what they take. I read it's due to the fact it has very tiny oil transfer holes to lube the needle bearings. I always did it cause that's what Ford told me to do.

The vibration, check the things that were mentioned (tires) but also look at your balancer, the stock ones tend to lose the rubber out of them and will cause vibration like that once going out. Maybe time to replace that cheap stock one with a good steel one. Also, watch it while the car is running, see it you see any wobble or movement at all on it, have someone rev it up while you watch. I have slung a weight off the rim before and swore it wasn't the tires cause I had just gotten them balanced, but sure enough...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and that "fill plug" they looked at, wrong side of the tranny, look on the passenger side for the fill and drain plugs..I wouldn't be going back to that dealership...
The sensor they saw I beleive is the nuetral safety switch, which is NOT a fill plug, retards..
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC302 View Post
Oh yeah, and that "fill plug" they looked at, wrong side of the tranny, look on the passenger side for the fill and drain plugs..I wouldn't be going back to that dealership...
The sensor they saw I beleive is the nuetral safety switch, which is NOT a fill plug, retards..
Want something done right do it yourself