Thread: 2.3 turbo swap
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2000, 07:44 PM   #1
frankiebonzz
Registered Member

Post 2.3 turbo swap

Fellow Ford Fan:

I own a 1984 mustang with a 2.3-liter engine. My grandmother bought the car new in 84. She recently stopped driving and gave the car to me, because she know it would have a good home. The car has sentimental value. So I don’t want to get rid of it. The car is in great shape and runs well but, I hate driving the car because its soooo slow. I would like more power. I’ve done some research and a 2..3 Turbo swap seem like the best option. I’v never done an engine swapped, but I have done some automotive repair. ie suspension work, and an intake manifold and 4bl carb on my 68 Barracuda. I had a local mechanic do the fine-tuning.

I hope you can help answer some of these questions.
How difficult is this swap?
Is person like myself capable of doing the swap?
Is there a DETAILED manual for this engine swap?
What do I need to look for when picking an engine and turbo? What are the signs of a good engine and a tired engine. i.e. oil smell and color, mileage, bore tolerance.
Is the T – Bird engine and wiring harness a better donor… More power?
What parts do I need from the donor, and which can I leave behind. ie wiring harness, radiator

Ultimately, Id like to just drop the engine in with out a rebuild. (I will however, have someone look the engine over before installing). I don’t have a place to rebuild the engine my self, nor do I want to spend the money to have it a pro rebuilt it.

I live in Southern California so, bone yard 2.3 turbo parts are abundant. Murqye are the most common, T – Bird and are somewhat rare and well…I’ve never seen a SVO.

Your help is much appreciated.
frankiebonzz is offline   Reply With Quote