MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-04-2001, 11:13 PM   #1
abesmith69
Registered Member

Default 2003 Cobra 5.0 ?

Was reading about the 2003 Mustangs.

For all you guys who havnt read this posting.

http://www.bonforums.com/mustang/mustang_02power.htm

here is the picture (I DONT LIKE IT!! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003mustang.jpg (32.2 KB, 138 views)
Old 12-05-2001, 01:12 AM   #2
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

thats the ugliest mustang yet. why not go out & just buy a ******* honda? i can say that the old 64.5-68 mustangs are the best (imo).

whats next? front wheel drive?

(no offense to any of you who this new look)
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:12 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Ok first of all the Mustang isn't gonna be redesigned until 2004. Secondly that isNOT a picture of the new generation Mustang. Third I don't think Ford will go will all the different engine options. More than likley the base model will only have one engine avalible(although I may not be the 3.8), same with the GT(although I might have more power than the 99-current year models. The Cobra is the only car likley to get a bump in displacment, you can for get about it in the GT.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:21 AM   #4
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

thank god thats not what the new mustang will be. i dont like the idea of a 4v 5.0, instead i think they should use the 2000 Cobra R 5.4L motors in all the cobras, or even better, ford lightning motors. then stock fords could start competing with faster cars (hopefully one day, maby even vipers!!!)
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 02:08 AM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down

ugh... that looks nasty!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:15 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

It's not bad, but that front end needs some SERIOUS work!!! That's waht makes that car so ugly.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 04:04 AM   #7
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Thumbs down

i think batman might like it, then again he's probably better off in the batmobile. damn thats an ugly car. phew
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:12 AM   #8
robertwigton
Registered Member

Exclamation I wouldn't hold my breath on that!

I don't think that the brass @ Ford really care.I mean look what they gave us to replace the 5.0 with!I think we as a group need to stop beating around the bush,and just say it! The mod motor is
a boat anchor!(Random House;Anchor1.Heavy device for keeping boats inplace2.A gasoline powered engine product of The Ford Motor Company)The bore spacing,right out of the box,doesn't
allow for any bore size larger then that of a Briggs,The stroke
is (compared to bore size)like a diesel peice of equipment.
The think(4V)is wider then a 460!I mean what were they thinking?(or what kind of $#@! drugs were they doing?)I'm very disapointed. I can't under stand why they never used the 351 as
an option?(and I don't mean one off cars that reg. guys will not be able to get)They let the Mustang slide off as GM was coming on strong with the LT1,and then,oh ya,The LS1!What was there answer,Well here you go!281 cubes of "small bore,Diesel stroke
wonder"I know that they came back in 99',but really,just how much can we expect from 281?And I don't think we should spend
24,000-30,000 and the have to buy a blower to keep up with brand Xs stock ride!The reason that the "After Market "hasn't made any parts for the mod motor is there is no potential!
They come from the factory "super tuned"there is no more power to be had in N/A form.I look at a blower/turbo as the last resort
on any thing,it almost like cheating!
wires,under drive pulleys,no smog
timming @ 16 deg,K&N,70 mm maf,
Pro5.0shifter,Home made frame con.
south side lift bars,3.73 bald @#! tires(2 on rear!)Sony C-D and Rockford fasgate rear,w/sony explode
5 1/2 in front.
robertwigton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:59 AM   #9
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i really like the doors, but that front end needs to be changed a little bit!

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:17 AM   #10
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFlow5 0
i really like the doors, but that front end needs to be changed a little bit!
My sentiments exaclty. I really hate that new front end. It looks like a prelude with a body kit.
Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 10:46 AM   #11
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Default Re: I wouldn't hold my breath on that!

Quote:
Originally posted by robertwigton
I don't think that the brass @ Ford really care.I mean look what they gave us to replace the 5.0 with!I think we as a group need to stop beating around the bush,and just say it! The mod motor is
a boat anchor!(Random House;Anchor1.Heavy device for keeping boats inplace2.A gasoline powered engine product of The Ford Motor Company)The bore spacing,right out of the box,doesn't
allow for any bore size larger then that of a Briggs,The stroke
is (compared to bore size)like a diesel peice of equipment.
The think(4V)is wider then a 460!I mean what were they thinking?(or what kind of $#@! drugs were they doing?)I'm very disapointed. I can't under stand why they never used the 351 as
an option?(and I don't mean one off cars that reg. guys will not be able to get)They let the Mustang slide off as GM was coming on strong with the LT1,and then,oh ya,The LS1!What was there answer,Well here you go!281 cubes of "small bore,Diesel stroke
wonder"I know that they came back in 99',but really,just how much can we expect from 281?And I don't think we should spend
24,000-30,000 and the have to buy a blower to keep up with brand Xs stock ride!The reason that the "After Market "hasn't made any parts for the mod motor is there is no potential!
They come from the factory "super tuned"there is no more power to be had in N/A form.I look at a blower/turbo as the last resort
on any thing,it almost like cheating!

Hmmm...dude you seem seriously misinformed, and you obviously haven't driven a new Stang with a mod motor. Way smoother, better mileage, high RPM potential...they are the motor of the future. Ford didn't answer that well to the LS1 power-wise, but at least the new Cobra's will be running close to them in stock form. And if you think there's no potential from a 4.6 4V, maybe stop in the Modular Forum and read up a bit. Stock GT's run low 12's with JUST a blower. No 5.0 could hope to do that. They are also faster out of the box now than any 5.0 was (260 horsies). Give the aftermarket time - the reason there aren't that many parts out there yet is because it's a NEW MOTOR still.
OK I'm done.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:24 PM   #12
5cu11y
Registered Member

That is not a new mustang from Ford.

The 03 is supposed to be the new body style, although it is setback to 04 now.

That is just one more gaudy body kit. It actually reminds me of when a company like Winnebago comes out with the new "aero" line of trailers.

The Terminator is real. The last I saw, it was on the dyno for emissions work.
5cu11y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:04 PM   #13
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

guys, take a look at the front end again

doesnt it look like someone doctored up a photo with photoshop? look at the shading and blurryness on the front bumper

i could be wrong though
Old 12-05-2001, 02:34 PM   #14
abesmith69
Registered Member

Im a retard I didnt think before posting the pic I didnt notice that it is at a dealership. I dont believe ford is even releasing the photo's yet, why would a dealership have the car ? Sorry about that guys.

BTW I thought the 2003 was suppose to look more like the Fox 3 ?

Thanks,
Abe
Old 12-05-2001, 06:00 PM   #15
jetuomi
Registered Member

Default Fake Fake Fake !

I'm willing to bet $100 that its fake, you can see that there are no lines from the bumper to fender, where the convert roof hooks to the top of the window frame, the rear spoiler, near the bottom corner of the doors, etc, etc, etc..

BUT, those doors look nice, and having no lines makes it look like a 1 piece body.. sorta cool..

BUT, the blueovalnews stuff is accurate..

AND, the 4.6 is great, but will never have the aftermarket of the 5.0, ever.. I've read on blueovalnews that Ford is pitching the Focus more than the Mustang to tuners, so......
It'll be the 5.0 people that keep the tuners financially alive and able to tune for the 4.6...

Either way, they are both great motors..
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:04 PM   #16
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Interesting!!!!! Someone is playing a sick joke here and I don't like it all!!The picture is obviously a fake!!!!!!!!!!!Someone is not going to Mustang Heaven now. Sorry for whoever that may be.
James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 06:23 AM   #17
PKRWUD

Quote:
Posted by jetuomi:
AND, the 4.6 is great, but will never have the aftermarket of the 5.0, ever
Oh yes there will. Maybe not the 4.6 specifically, but the modular engines will. I am not aware of anybody that is developing new parts for the 5.0, but just about everybody is developing parts for the mod engines. Keep in mind that Ford is using the modular platform for all of their new engines, including the F-150's, which have developed a high demand for aftermarket performance parts.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 12:22 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Well...

I don't believe Ford would release anything nearly as ugly as that. Nor do I believe the car will have any more than 3 engine options across the entire Mustang lineup.

As for the 5.0 vs 4.6 and 5.8 vs the 4.6 vs the 5.4, this is pretty old.

The 5.0 blows itself apart at about 500hp. No more than 350-375hp is possible from a N/A 5.0 that is streetable. The most powerful 5.0 GT made 225hp/300tq. It was tuned for just that, and requires an intake and heads to significantly bump power, and a better cam to get to the 350hp land.

The 4.6 SOHC has a very strong block, but I do not know it's potential power holding. There is little aftermarket for the 4.6L, but with forced induction the 4.6 can easily match the 5.0. 300+hp is obtainable with Ford factory parts. The 99GT's heads/cams/intake package on a 96-98 will do that, or probably the 96-98's pistons into a 99GT. The 4.6 is, as mentioned, much smoother and better suited to making higher power levels at higher rpms. It does NOT get better fuel economy than the 5.0.

The 4.6 DOHC has a very strong block as well. Too bad the rods are so damn weak. It has about the same power holding ability as the 5.0 due to that dumbass oversight. It makes over 300hp in stock form, thus blowing ANY production 302 well out of the water, blowing ANY production 351 out of the water, and doing it readily. With boost or mods, the 5.0 and 5.8 will NEVER see the kind of power this engine can make in a streetable combo. There are a few aftermarket N/A products for it as well. It can easily eclipse 400hp N/A. In fact, this engine can more than likely match the 5.8 stride for stride in ANY capabilities other than the stroker segment.

The 5.8 is a gas hogging weak *** stock engine with a lot of potential. I wouldn't want one if you paid me to take it. Sure, you can build it to make very high power levels, but man, what a turd in stock form. The 302 will match it stride for stride, and not give you 10-15mpg. The aftermarket for EFI 351's is not as specifically catered to that engine as the 5.0, with most products seemingly being 5.0 parts with a twist.

The 5.4 SOHC is great with boost. Other than the fact Ford had a lot of problems with the early engines lunching crankshafts. A very strong block and decent stock power levels with quite a bit of potential. It has yet to be wedged into a Mustang, and will NEVER be wedged in with the lightnings blower.

The 5.4 DOHC is a monster. Pure and simple. The Cobra R's engine is making 380rwhp, not 385 at the crank. The Navagator's DOHC makes a mockery of ANY stock 351 placed into a car. More torque, more hp, collosal powerband. Comparing this engine to the 5.8 is a joke. The only way you're going to compete with this engines potential is to stroke a siamese bore 351 way the hell out.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:04 AM   #19
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

errr what HE said

Either way, BON obviously caught on, because that box with a big red X doesn't look too much like a Mustang to me
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote