MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-26-2001, 12:43 AM   #1
91LXConv
Registered Member

Exclamation 3.73s coming, any last-minute tips?

My car: 91 LX 5.0 convertible with 2.73s and AOD. I have a set of 3.73s coming in 2 days and I am installing them myself. Any last minute tips from those that have done the swap before???
Thanks a ton!
PS- Also see my next post if you have any experience with removing emblems!
91LXConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:55 AM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

not to sound like d1ck or anything but
1)you have never done gears b4?it the backlash isnt perfecr then they will wine and could blow out the first time you got on it
2)i guess its 2 late to recremend 4.10's

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 03:54 PM   #3
john_86stang
Registered Member

Exclamation

If this is your first time setting up gears, I would definitely not get in a hurry. Go to all the different web sites that have good tech articles(corral.net, etc.) and read, read, read. Make sure you have all the necessary tools to do the job. Then once you have read everything you can find, and have gathered all the proper tools, Be prepared to have your car down for several days. I tell you this because there will be trial and error involved until you learn some of the tricks. Good Luck

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe w/ 2-chamber Flows, No smog pump or A/C, crank pulley, K&N in stock box, adj. FPR, bypassed EGR(coolant) Best Run 14.34 @100.0 MPH (on G-Tech)
john_86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:33 PM   #4
stangbang
Registered Member

Thumbs up

It is possible to do this yourself if you have the right tools. By this I meam a torque wrench that will read from 0-20 inch pounds to set the bearing pre-load on the pinion bearing,a pinion depth gauge to determine the right shim selection for the pinion, and a dial indicator with a magnectic base to set up and check the backlash.You should use some marking compound (white lead) to check tooth contact pattern also. I would definately look at the axles and bearings too. It can be done but it's not for the average shadetree mechanic!
stangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 01:37 AM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I never even knew they made inch pound torque wrenches until my brother said something to me the other day about needing one to do his gears. Make sure you don't use a foot pound wrench. That would really screw things up I'm guessing =P

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 01:52 AM   #6
stng87
Registered Member

Talking

I have to agree with LXXLr8r in reference to preferring 4.10's. but if not then maybe next month right? Well I just got done doing mine about a month ago. talk about a bittch. Someone had been in there already screwing all around and didnt even shim it right. They were so loose that the shims were sometimes spinning. Had to fix that too. Finding the right combo of shims is a bittch too but whe its all done its well worth all the work and time. That is if you did take the time to do it perfect. Also have an impact wrench, itll cut time down considerably. Also pay SPECIAL attention to the tooth foot pattern. Get this perfect(the corral has a good section on gears) also your gears should come with instructions that illustrate the proper pattern. If this is neglected your gears will howl like a mother. A friend of mine heard this one stang drive past and said he thought it had a supercharger, but it was just the gears not set perfect. Good luck.

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, adj. FPR, rebuilt aod w/shift kit, 65mm TB, 4.10's 12.90's at best
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 01:54 AM   #7
stng87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stangbang:
It is possible to do this yourself if you have the right tools. By this I meam a torque wrench that will read from 0-20 inch pounds to set the bearing pre-load on the pinion bearing,a pinion depth gauge to determine the right shim selection for the pinion, and a dial indicator with a magnectic base to set up and check the backlash.You should use some marking compound (white lead) to check tooth contact pattern also. I would definately look at the axles and bearings too. It can be done but it's not for the average shadetree mechanic!
Hey Stangbang, where's brunswick? Im in bowling green which is about 20 min south of Toledo. later

Old 03-27-2001, 07:57 PM   #8
stangbang
Registered Member

Wink

Brunswick is about midway between Cleveland and Akron I-71&route 303. In the summer we have a pretty good car show at the K-mart shopping center on route 303 every saturday weather permitting.Check it out! Usually over 100 nice cars of all types.
Old 03-28-2001, 01:09 AM   #9
stng87
Registered Member

Sounds good, whens it all start?

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, adj. FPR, rebuilt aod w/shift kit, 65mm TB, 4.10's 12.90's at best
Old 03-28-2001, 08:59 PM   #10
stangbang
Registered Member

Wink

Once it stays warm & dry enough. Probably 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:46 PM   #11
Doctor DeBo
Registered Member

Cool

Along with all the tools the others have mentioned prep for the hernia you will get when it comes time to colapse the crush collar,if you go too far it has to come back apart.I would have killed for a lift when I did mine,and dont forget the friction modifier when you fill the oil back up.If you can get your hands on a shop manual it would be a world of help.Good Luck
Doctor DeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 01:59 PM   #12
vande97
Registered Member

ya, i would have said go for the 410s, but good luck
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote