MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default coil ques

about to return the loud msd blaster TFI coil. i have msd cap/rotor, soon to be installed msd 6A, and thinkin bout replacing my FMS 9mm wires w/ msd 8.5 mm wires on stock motor. should i try another msd blaster TFI coil or should i pick up a blaster 2, 3, or High Vibration (i can relocate coil if necessary). whats the differences and which should i pick up?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Mike93GT
Registered Member

I've heard that the stock replacement coil buzzes pretty loud. Get the MSD square looking universal one with fins on it that is $10 less than the stock replacement one. I have that one, and it's great. You will have to drill a few holes to mount it, and cut the harness to wire it directly instead of using the clip though. I read a post once by a guy from MSD, and he said that one was supposedly a little better than the stock replacement too. Better and cheaper sounds good to me.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike93GT
I've heard that the stock replacement coil buzzes pretty loud. Get the MSD square looking universal one with fins on it that is $10 less than the stock replacement one. I have that one, and it's great. You will have to drill a few holes to mount it, and cut the harness to wire it directly instead of using the clip though. I read a post once by a guy from MSD, and he said that one was supposedly a little better than the stock replacement too. Better and cheaper sounds good to me.
u got a part # on that one? not sure which one that is........
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

if anyone cares here is what MSD Tech said to me on the MSD TFI Coil #8227:

"What is weird on these applications I have had customers send the noisy coils to me directly and have installed them on a 90 and 91 LX and GT and they do not make noise. The 91 bought a coil that does buzz but we took it off of that and it was quite on the 90. Go figure. It seems to be some type of harmonics. Normally the rubber grommets quite everything down. You can exchange it for another one or you can use something like our Blaster SS part number 8207. This one is not a direct replacement so it will need to be mounted and have the wires run to it."

Guess I will exhange the TFI Coil or pick up the Blaster SS. Thanks Mike93GT and eveyone else.