MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default Question about supercharging and how it affects your engine?

K I was wondering how does forced induction affect your engine components.

I mean by this is since hte air is actualyl forced in what shoudl you try to make your heads and volume ?

SHoudl you have huge ports?

Or try to optimize a N/A combo then bolt one on and that would be right?

How do you figure the size of ports you need to optimize the air flow and teh valve sizes?

If i have my heads dynoed could they forced air in at certain levels to see what would be most benificial?

All info would be helpful as i dont want to build a N/A motor then lose evrything and make a completely diffrent one for forced induction.
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

Excellent question, first off if you plan on building a blown motor, Nitrous, or turbo, you need to start off with a strong motor, rebuilt or freshened in some way.

Supercharging effects your motor in several ways, first obviously the increased cylinder pressures, many purpose built blower motors have decreased compression ratio, such as 8.5:1, bearing surfaces are always stressed as compared to naturally aspirated, etc.

big improvements to the fuel system are required, the list goes on and on, what you need to do is really think what you want ultimately from the car and go from there.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:34 AM   #3
vetteeatr
Registered Member

I want a street driven car that isnt exactly the best ride but can be driven on the street with appoximately 500-550 RWHP.

You can see my mod son my sig but i think once i do a little cam swapping and porting and polishing along wiht a conversion to mass air and upgrade a few compnents i plan to be near 400 RWHP N/A so if i get a 30% boost I will be in my range of what i desire so teh compression doestn really need to be that high.

I would prefer the engine to never see above 6500 RPM

I hope this is what oyu mean

Basically I want a really quick barely legal street car
(Also. i realized abotu teh fuel system upgrade i more ment how do i need to design my combo for optimum forced induction such as teh diffrent sizes of ports and intake choices, shoudl i upgrade to 75 mm thorttle body and not have to sell a 70mm when i upgrade evreything?

I dotn really got the money to buil agood motor then ditch nearly all of it and rebuild another one i woudl prefer to build a motor that woudl be quick but not the best it can be N/A and jsut wait till ic an afford the supercharger.

Thanks Guys

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
Old 02-13-2002, 08:52 AM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vetteeatr
I want a street driven car that isnt exactly the best ride but can be driven on the street with appoximately 500-550 RWHP.

You can see my mod son my sig but i think once i do a little cam swapping and porting and polishing along wiht a conversion to mass air and upgrade a few compnents i plan to be near 400 RWHP N/A so if i get a 30% boost I will be in my range of what i desire so teh compression doestn really need to be that high.

I would prefer the engine to never see above 6500 RPM

I hope this is what oyu mean

Basically I want a really quick barely legal street car
(Also. i realized abotu teh fuel system upgrade i more ment how do i need to design my combo for optimum forced induction such as teh diffrent sizes of ports and intake choices, shoudl i upgrade to 75 mm thorttle body and not have to sell a 70mm when i upgrade evreything?

I dotn really got the money to buil agood motor then ditch nearly all of it and rebuild another one i woudl prefer to build a motor that woudl be quick but not the best it can be N/A and jsut wait till ic an afford the supercharger.

Thanks Guys
Your goal is 500-550 rwhp supercharged, you want have any trouble meeting that goal, but don't expect your block to last to long, unless you've upgraded it to something stronger. Anything around or over 600 hp at the crank on a stock block is about all you can get and expect it to last any length of time. A 70 mm tb is good to 600 hp, so I'd say you'll be fine there.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Anyone know how to build a motor thats gonna be supercharged?

Also will my 10:1 pistons be okay if im only runnign liek 8 ibs of boost or less as i would htink thats all i nee to reach my goal

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Old 02-13-2002, 09:59 AM   #6
drudis

Check out the latest 5.0 Magazine. THey test a bunch of intakes on a warmed over 306 motor that they bolted an S-trim on it.
Almost every intake was 501rwhp.

550rwhp is more porting of heads and intake, and stouter cam... But you are playing with fire at that level of hp IMOHO. Its a matter of time before engine lets go at that power level.

Also, compression is too high. You dont need to back down to 8.5:1 or nothin, but 10:1 is not optimum for boost. Whether its only 8# or 12# (recommend that range).

p.s. 500rwhp is about my goal for this spring.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
gtsr515
Registered Member

Vetteeatr, to achieve 400 hp, you'll need better components than you have listed, with stage 3 twisties, custom cam, and fully ported Holley intakes, done by ANDERSON, AND a PMS, Anderson dyno'd me at 368 horsepower, so i think you'll come up a little shy of 400, more like 320.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:44 PM   #8
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

my buddy used to run 10.2@1xx with 14#s on a 10.5:1 motor..he only have 24# injectors and a 255 intank..go figure..doesnt sound right but i swear to you it is

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 06:16 AM   #9
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by LX XLR8R
my buddy used to run 10.2@1xx with 14#s on a 10.5:1 motor..he only have 24# injectors and a 255 intank..go figure..doesnt sound right but i swear to you it is
What kind of fuel was he using, methanol?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:56 AM   #10
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

What kind of fuel was he using, methanol?
naw 87 i think?jk..he prolly ran race gas and he had 2 other pullies for less boost for the street...car was blowing head gaskets every 2 months thou

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #11
NO SLO PK
Registered Member

Well, I did run a blower with 11:1 compression/iron heads. The intercooler helped, but the combo was really difficult to tune and remain in tune. Either too rich or too lean. Too much timing or not enough. I had to tune at every change in weather, or even after a fill-up...no joke.

'91 LX - 331 w/ Procharger
'03 Cobra Convertible - Pullied
'94 Lightning
'65 Mustang Coupe
NO SLO PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:15 AM   #12
vetteeatr
Registered Member

I was kinda wondering mroe of hwo to build a forced induction engine....

I see cams for superchargers so there must be some diffrence between cams for N/A vs. supercharger.

How does the forced air effect flow in the intake and heads?

Does it flow the same as but increased due to to mroe pressure or is the somethign diffrent you need to do to make the combo work better with forced induction?

What would you guys think the most compression i coudl run on a supercharged motor shoudl be . 9.5:1? 8.5:1?