MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2002, 07:18 PM   #1
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default 302 Rebuild suggestions

I am planning a rebuild of a 302 for my 85 GT. Plans include:

New forged pistons (TRW or TFS)
New Cam... TFS(need recommendation on which one)
New TFS Twisted Wedge heads w/ Roller Rockers
Balancing of motor, including flywheel.
New Roller Lifters.
with Performer RPM Intake and Holley 650 Carb.
MSD Ignition
4.10 Gears
I am shooting for about 350 HP?
Which cam should I use from TFS, and am in doing anything wrong in this set up? Total cost should be around $2,600.
This car is mostly for the track and occasional street driving.
Any comments appreciated. How much would i gain from a 351 block?
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
juiceman
Registered Member

that setup is good. use tfs cam#2 install main studs and rod bolts also. you will need to resize rods when changing bolts but its cheap and good insurance. that setup should put you in the high 11s with tuning and good driving. at worst itll be a low 12. i would also go with a good set of full length headers. if money is an issue then flowtech headers are 100$ they work fine. as for a 351w motor, itll give you more tq and power easier than a 302 will. its not hard to get 1 hp per cubic inch. if you have the money to do a 351 swap then you will be happier in the long run. one area you havent touched on is the fuel system. im curious to know what you have or plan to do for fuel requirements as this is important to a good running motor.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

well, i have not really thought about the fuel system yet, but in the past i just used the mechanical pump. Do I need electric?
I was thinking about the #2 tfs cam also, so its good to hear feed back on it. Should I go with the TFS forged pistons that are supposed to match the heads($500), or the TRW forged($250).
Also, the block is not currently a roller motor, I am going to convert it. Should be ok? Anything i need to do to prep it for future nitrous upgrade, like wire lock heads? So how much horsepower should be available with all this, any ideas?
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
Old 06-25-2002, 10:19 PM   #4
juiceman
Registered Member

i would go with the tfs pistons with that cam. plus theyre better. going with the roller is a good move. as for nitrous, wire locking the heads isnt need and i dont like that anyway. too many problem later on. like i said just do the rod bolts main studs and good head bolts or studs. everything else will be ok. dont worry about hp. worrying about that will cause you to do the wrong thing. build it the way that seems best and what you get will be good. being in the 11's should be good for you.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #5
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up RPM AirGap

I would also go with the Edelbrock Performer AirGap intake later on,that is a great intake on a carb car.

The rest of your combo looks pretty stout,the Stage 2 TFS cam is a nice cam.

Man are you lucky to have a 85 Mustang GT,best of both worlds carb and a roller cam,best of the best.

Have you replaced the weak kneed 7.5 rear end yet? I would if I were you,unless you know someone with a tow truck LOL

Good luck with your combo.

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #6
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up PLenty of Blocks

I did not see the part about you did not have a roller block,but that is an easy fix.

Summit has roller blocks that are machined and ready to go,Powered By Ford sells the Sportsman 302 block for around 900 bucks,and it will definitely be safe at the hp level you are wanting.

Once again good luck with your combo

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
Old 06-27-2002, 02:31 PM   #7
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Default Re: RPM AirGap

Quote:
Originally posted by HORSEMEN RACING
Man are you lucky to have a 85 Mustang GT,best of both worlds carb and a roller cam,best of the best.
Really, old carb technology is better than computer-controlled fuel delivery?

Not in my book.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:52 PM   #8
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Default aye yae yae

Ok I am not trying to start a flaming contest or this car is better than that car,but since you took the time let me re-tort.

If all I need to tune my car is a 1.50 flat head screw driver,then in that aspect it is better than EFI. A lot better than a 60k diagnostic machine or have to buy a scanner to do it.

Now where fuel injection is stronger,cold start,throttle response,drivability,street worthiness.

But since you brought it up,how many fuel injected cars have you seen in Pro Stock?

I have just always wanted an 85 GT I still to do this date think it is a sweet car,I just said the best as far as easy tunability,and roller cam.

That is my opinion,and we know what opinions are.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:33 PM   #9
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

hey 89 cobra, well my old carb technology ran me a 13.70 at 103 mph with 2.73 highway gears(at the time),(and i did not even know how to drive it yet, it was my first pass, first time at the track) street tires, and a heavier hatchback car. Stock heads ported, and stock cam. and that was not even a roller motor. Your computer controlled fuel system did just about the same time with better heads, cam, 3.73 gears? Maybe you should have invested some of that money in a $150 carb.
Production # 9,377
Old 07-01-2002, 12:44 PM   #10
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK85GT
hey 89 cobra, well my old carb technology ran me a 13.70 at 103 mph with 2.73 highway gears(at the time),(and i did not even know how to drive it yet, it was my first pass, first time at the track) street tires, and a heavier hatchback car. Stock heads ported, and stock cam. and that was not even a roller motor. Your computer controlled fuel system did just about the same time with better heads, cam, 3.73 gears? Maybe you should have invested some of that money in a $150 carb.
Your MPH was no better than mine. I'm not impressed.

What was your 60ft?

GT-40p heads will flow about the same as ported stock heads.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:03 PM   #11
tarmon8r
Registered Member

well, im of the opinion that there is no replacement for displacement. 351W. cause if you want to run at the track and on the street you will still need low end torque. trying to have the best of both world with a small displacement, naturally asperated motor is very tricky and very expensive. and when you start making serious power your 302 block is weak in comparison to the 351w. if you want to spray any serious juice , while you are rebuilding the motor, have the block o-ringed, not the heads. that seems to be the best way from the guys i have talked to and have it done on my motor. by the way you don't need to balance your flywheel if you are keeping the neutral external balance. but if you are going to rev your motor, i highly recommend spending the money on internal balancing. it will rev a lot smoother, trust me. i paid 700 dolars for an internal balance job (i was sweating bullets when i got the bill, quoted only 300 - 500 dollars, but need 7 peices of precious metal, i doubt yours will be that much, i had it done on a stroker crank.). If you dont know what a great torquey motor will do for you on the street you dont know what you are missing.
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #12
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up Very Good Suggestion Tarmon

I like that suggestion there Tarmon,but sometimes "Bigger is Better" get's a lot of people in trouble.

While there is no doubt a 351W or even a stroked 351W is a torque monster,if he were fuel injected he would still make good torque with a 302 or stroked 302,not the same as a 351 but good torque.

If you are looking for suggestions for s rebuild,just do your homework there,look around talk to some good engine builders,and try to match your combo as close as possible.

You having a carburetted car makes it a little easier as far as intakes and the like goes,when it comes time to buy the rest of it.

How much track duty you plan on using with the car is it a 90/10 car? 90 percent street 10 percent strip? That is something you have to decide on also,how radical you want it.

Hitting it with a shot "smack" is not a bad idea just make sure you have good quality components,and build it to where it will run good off the "smack" also,lot of guys build cars to where they only run on the juice,and they compromise a lot.

Good Luck with your combo.

Old 07-01-2002, 02:34 PM   #13
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

89, all I am saying is dont under estimate a carb just because its old, because it can do a good job too. I still like fuel injection. I understand its more fuel efficient, etc, and i love it on my everyday drivers. But get behind the wheel of the 85 gt and its all out fun to drive. Just raw horsepower, its hard to explain. I drove a friends 2002 Stage III Roush Gt 360-R the other day, and yeah its fast(with the help of a supercharger) but the fun factor is way down, believe me.
Production # 9,377
Old 07-01-2002, 10:27 PM   #14
juiceman
Registered Member

guys, theres one thing to say about all of this.... keep it simple. the simple stuff will make you fast. the injection/ carb debate is old but the fact still remains carbs are simple and effective. carbs are the way to go for anything slower than 8's. unless youre building a blown funny car or drive everyday on the street or commute , then inj. is better. but the more complex the setup the more complex the problems will be.
black85, build the setup you have like i stated and youll have no problems. keep the revs under 6500 and the motor will live long. dont worry about the nitrous, when done right it will have little affect on the motor. the fate of the motor lies in the builder and tuner. the better its built/tuned the longer it will last.