MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-02-2001, 12:35 PM   #1
jerryIII

Question 302 vs 302HO, difference??

I am orderin two recon, shortblocks... one 351 for a mustang project motor, and a 302..

when I called, the guy asked if i wanted a 302 or a 302HO, what is the difference (other than $100.00)..

help please.....

Old 08-02-2001, 12:51 PM   #2
John
Registered Member

I'm not sure but think HO is a roller motor

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core Radiator, FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, 1.6 RR's
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 02:15 PM   #3
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Big difference from HO to no HO...the non HO can be used in anything from a Lincoln Town car and Continental like mine to a pickup truck to t-bird and cougar. HO has dished pistons better intake,heads,cam,bigger injectors. I'm trying to get parts to semi convert mine to HO
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 05:09 PM   #4
juiceman
Registered Member

since youre buying the motors from recon you wount be getting the intake. the only differences are the cam and heads and throttle body. if you are talking about an older year 302 then it would also include the pistons. ho motors do not have dished pistons. or bigger injectors or different intake . and any 302 can work in any car. the car does not know or care what motor is in it. if you plan on dooing mods like intake, cam, heads etc. then it doesnt matter which you get
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 06:09 PM   #5
jerryIII

thx juiceman, that's what i thought, i am ordering a SHORTBLOCK (block, rod's, pistons, crank and all the obvious stuff that goes along with it) no heads, intake, oil pan etc.....

$100.00 for nothing then is what your saying????

Old 08-03-2001, 04:07 AM   #6
mustanger82
Registered Member

Lightbulb

HO and non HO the world of roller cams
that is the only difference between the ho and non-ho motors depending on what year the blcok is the block can be converted to a roller cam/ without the use of a small base circle cam. But that isnt cheap if the guy is offering the motor for only 100 bucks go for it its worth around 25 hp and to convert to a a superior roller cam later costs around 200$ the roller cams also offer better cam selection in furure as well. need more info on the motors email me at hardac12@hotmail.com
P/s the dork that said stuff about what car the HO can go into n stuff is dumb cause after 87 the HO motor came in almost all 5.0L powered cars from lincolns( the very first car to get the HO) to cougars n such
mustanger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 04:11 AM   #7
84_GT350
Registered Member

Main difference is the cam base size. The 302HO has the same base size as a 351. The regular 302's is smaller. And not all HOs are roller cam blocks. Only '85-later.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 07:33 AM   #8
SisuStang

A 302HO vs a regular 302 (let's say out of a van or Bronco or something of the same vintage) have a different firing order also (due to the different cam).

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,2 1/2" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
11.020 @128.95 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

Old 08-03-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
juiceman
Registered Member

basically there is no difference as far as youre concerned. the newer 302's be it ho or non ho had rollers. and the 15 min and 20$ it would cost if he had to convert is no biggie. now, mustanger82 its not nice to call people dorks or dumb especially when you are the one who is wrong. after 87 they didnot put ho motors in all the 302 powered cars. my 88 tbird has a reg. 302. maybe they look the same to you but there are small differences.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 04:45 PM   #10
stng87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juiceman:
basically there is no difference as far as youre concerned. the newer 302's be it ho or non ho had rollers. and the 15 min and 20$ it would cost if he had to convert is no biggie. now, mustanger82 its not nice to call people dorks or dumb especially when you are the one who is wrong. after 87 they didnot put ho motors in all the 302 powered cars. my 88 tbird has a reg. 302. maybe they look the same to you but there are small differences.
Ditto Juiceman, we try not to fire needless insults at fellow MW members. BTW welcome to the board Mustange82.

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit, 3 row motorsport radiator,
275-60-15 BFG TA's on Welds, Hurst shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 12:28 PM   #11
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Oh by the way I am the dork you referred to. Apparently I was assuming that the people in here would understand what I was saying without going into some great detail. In case you are too smart to get what I was saying was that the cars I listed came with a non HO motor as an example of what was used in them so he could see the difference in power output from logic...such as a Lincoln Town Car which doesn't run fast. I'm quite well aware that you can put a HO motor in any fox body ford...do you really think I'm that dumb? By the way not all cars got the HO motor after 87. The Lincoln MarkVII "LSC" came with the HO motor and the non LSC did not. The rest of the Lincolns did not get HO motors until later. A guy on here called QuantumMotorsports has an 88 Cougar that came with non HO motor which he converted over to HO like I plan to do. Here is a site that talks all about non Ho to HO conversions and the differences in those cars: http://www.coolcats.net/ And yes Different firing order,different cam,different heads,DIFFERENT intake and injectors and tb,different computer...Ho would be EECIV and non ho should not be. From what I read they had dished pistons and non HO did not and would have cam clearance problems on anything more than a stock HO cam. I have not opened mine up to find out for sure but I'm not about to slam any old cam in there with the wrong firing order and pistons that may not clear and find out by destroying my engine.
I appreciate the guys who commented on poor remarks made to me. Lota good guys on this board. Mustanger82 please do not call names to your fellow ford people thats childish.
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:06 AM   #12
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Here are the differences that i know of:
the HO has:
a double roller timing chain stock, non-HO's got the silent type
351W based camshaft (on roller cams, i don't know if it's still the 351W camshaft anymore, but it retains the 351 firing order)
Reverse rotation water pump for the serpentine belt (i think the non-HO's got this in the mid-late 80's compared to the HO's getting it in '82)
HO's had forged aluminum pistsons on most years, whereas non-HO's always had cast.
And in general the HO's always had a better induction system than the non-HO's and some years had much better exhaust.
As far as rebuilding an engine is concerned, you shouldn't even worry whether it's a HO or non-HO block, the only difference lies in when you get into roller cam and non-roller cam. The roller cam blocks have higher lifter bores to retain the roller lifter better. But, as previously mentioned, you can buy kits to convert a non roller cam block to a roller camshaft.
Good luck!

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:11 AM   #13
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I just went back and read your initial post. Here i'll help you with a reply:
chances are the short block will have better pistons, and better camshaft with a double roller timing chain (if it comes with the cam and timing chain) and if it does come with the camshaft all you'd have to do is convert it from the 302 standard firing order to the HO/351 firing order. Chances are that the HO will be a non-roller cam block.
If i were you, i'd just go for the HO short block, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote