MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-21-2001, 10:24 PM   #1
cop-coupe
Registered Member

Question 306 build up suggestions

OK its time to start ordering parts and sending of my block for machine work and I would like to get some opinions from you all. On the advise of a good NMRA friend I think I am going to go with a D.S.S. buillit in a box kit, but dont know what I should have done to the block, crank, and rods. Keeping in mind I dont have an enormous wad to blow and Iam swaping in a T-5 at the same time just to add to the expense. Also for those of you in the St.Louis area please give me any recomendations + or - on machine shops and est. expenses for block work and rotating assembly. Thanks

------------------
1990 spec. serv. coupe w/aod, b-303, gt-40 heads and intake, 1.6rr, 1" spacer, fms valve covers, mac cold air intake, bbk equil shorties, under drives, 65mm t.b. 2.5" flows, fms 9mm wires,
cop-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 10:04 PM   #2
elmir50
Registered Member

What are you going to be using the car for mostly: street, strip, or road race? Do you wanna run naturally aspirated or artificially? How much total power do you want to make with a power adder if you are going to use one? With these questions aswered then I can help you out without guessing what you want.
elmir50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
cop-coupe
Registered Member

I was intending on street/strip, mostly strip, its only a good weather car. in the future with a little more cash I intend on adding a supper charger, I would like to see mid 12's naturally, I figure that should not be to difficult considering the factory stock guys are getting those #'s with stock heads, intakes, cams, ETC. My heads and intake are ported and polished, I have a 190 fuel pump (not yet installed), was planing on purchasing a 73mm m.a. w/ 24lb inj. I appreciat your help.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:43 PM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Hey, how do you like that b cam? im thinking about going that route, i have stock right now, but looking for low end, but also wanna keep pulling to around 6000.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 08:58 PM   #5
cop-coupe
Registered Member

Well I went from running high 15's @ around 92 mph show room stock @ 110,000 miles to runing 15 flat @ 106 mph but keep in mind I did all the listed mods @ the same time, but also consider that my stock AOD only survived two passes with the new toys and I have the stock gears still, I can say that with the new goodies on the first good pass it launched like a pig but once it hit 2500 rpm it pulled like a bat out of hell and it did not want to shift into 2nd gear and I had to back out of it @ around 7000 rpm and it was still pulling upto around 6500 rpm (keep in mind this was on the stock tach so take it for what its worth) and the B-cam is definatly going back in my new moter. I only got a couple hundred miles on it before the tranny went, I figured why not do it all at once and I think with the T-5 and 4;10's with the 306 I will hopfully start having a serious traction problem. in short in my opinion the B is good choice. Let me know what you decide and what the results are.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:15 PM   #6
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Well i have rode in a stang with an e-cam, and it pulled hard, but something tells me to go with the b, also it sounds nice from the .wav i heard, i would do it all at once like you said, probaly get a set of edelbrock heads with 1.7 rockrs, and then port my stock intake, and go for some 4.10 grs, but hopefully my bottom end would hold, and i have already shatterd a cluster in my 1st t-5 need a z-spec. or tremec..

------------------
90 lx coupe: 175k miles, steeda water pump pully, hurst shifter, Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
Old 07-30-2001, 11:34 PM   #7
DemonGT
Registered Member

where did you hear a wav file of a b cam?

i have a TFS street heat intake and plan on TFS heads also...what is the better cam..E,B cam or TFS stage 1 or 2..also plan on a S trim

------------------
'91 GT,91K,T-5,air silencer removed,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Cat-back,off road H,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Competition gauges,C&L 76mm MAF,Accufab 70mm TB,TFS street heat intake

Waiting install:Nothing

Future Mods:3.73's,Pro 5.0,TFS heads,TFS stage 1 cam,lakewood struts/shocks,nitto DR's
ICQ#35670781
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 05:27 PM   #8
cop-coupe
Registered Member

Well I can say I love the way my car sounded w/the B-cam, as far as which is better I just did the same thing you all are doing and just asked guys on the board. As you can probably tell by my earlier post I really like mine... check out my car on my friends website www.fordmustanggt.com, it is the black and yellow one under friends rides, P.S. 90dpscoupe I to would be concerned about new horse power on top of a 175,000+ mile bottom end, like I said mine only had around 115,000 when I did mine and now I am redoing it all, the same time my trany went I started loosing oil press.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:52 PM   #9
Piston
Registered Member

Demon GT,

If you plan on a S-Trim go with the anderson B2 or B3 or better nitous/blower cam's If you got the stock bottom end B2 or B3 is your way to go. But if you go NA stick with the Anderson N cam's. Trust me on this one they blow those fms cams away!!! My buddy was running an E until he saw my b2 pull past him (very similar mods and cars) now he is running an NA N1 anderson cam, I think. If you stay NA you want the good NA cam other wise go with the nitrous and blower cams the B2 or B3 or higher if you got flycut pistons.

Good luck,
You will not be disappointed with the Anderson Cam! I guarantee it.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 10:20 PM   #10
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Well the e-cam will be better than b, with a blower, from what i heard, but the b cam has good duration, and yea the anderson cam is worth a try, im hearing more good things about them. And at 175k miles, my oil pressure is real good, i am a bit leary about it though, but i figure as long as i stay away from n20 im fine, and the .wav file may still be on my hard drive...let me see.