MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
Nixon1
Registered Member

Unhappy Bad, bad day.. (head gasket)

Well I drive the stang to my friend's house today so I can get his distributor wrench. After RETARDING the timing to 14-15 degrees (previous idiot owner), I decided to kick it back to stock 10 degrees so I can run piss gas for now and save cash because I'm BROKE. So we set it, and I shut the car off, and I hear a sound..like RUSHING WATER..like pints and pints of water flowing...confused, I stick my head in, and hear PSSSST and see a shot of water vapor shoot out of the passenger side area around the valve cover, in the back. Then, 10 seconds later, psst...a small one..and then several drip and vaporize sounds for the next minute. Haven't been able to check my radiator cause the engine was warm, but I'm checking it tomorrow. Been meaning to flush the system because it's basically all water, virtually no antifreeze, and last I popped the cap, there's CRAP floating on the surface of the water....looks like yogurt. It's NOT black though...doesn't look like oil, looks like freakin brown/tan cottage cheese. But yeah...is there anything that this could be BESIDES a blown head gasket? Idle is fine, car runs decent except every time I give it throttle below 1000 rpms it has a nasty misfire. Still runs very cold...in what I'd guesstimate to be the 170-180 degree range. Thanks guys...wish me luck... I owe well over $3000 to my dad, which is why I'm selling my other car...I have no money. I can't afford repairs, and he could probably give me the money but it'd put him in a bad hole.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default Blown Head Gasket.....

Nixon1.....Going by your nicely done description of your problem, I seriously doubt its a blown head gasket, your friend typically would have had to either seriously overheated the motor and he didn't tell you (happens to me all the time, embarrasment = lies), or something drastic, maybe a billion miles or something, ANYWAY, I suspect a hose leak, especially since you say you saw VAPOR, well somethings hot as hell home boy!

Maybe a gasket failure too, but my GUT instinct tells me something simple here.....

Good luck, Camaro's suck!

Jay
Old 02-09-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
Nixon1
Registered Member

Are any of the hoses rear, passenger side coolant hoses? By the way...if it's not head gasket though, what would explain the MUCK in my radiator? As I said, the car runs ice cold..but I HAVE ran it high rpms several times..once I hit 6500, WELL into the redline..yeah, I almost sh*t my pants there.... But yeah about the vapor..I can't see a vapor stream coming from a head gasket..doesn't seem to make sense to me..wouldn't think it'd be pressurized like that. I dunno..this is confusing.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-09-2003, 10:09 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

You need to check for oil in the water, and/or coolant in the oil.

It also could be just your heater hoses at the firewall, they are the 2 fairly short hoses that go down behind the throttle body area and connect to the black heater lines there. If you have a leak there, then be VERY careful when replacing those lines because they are connected to the heatercore (the 2 lines sticking out the firewall) and they can break very easily.

Next thing I suggest doing is going to autozone and renting their cooling system pressure tester. You hook it to where your radiator cap goes (with the engine off), pump it to 16psi or so, and this way you can listen and look for leaks without the coolant being hot, and no moving engine parts to rip your fingers off.

They rent tools like this for a fully returned deposit, and this one is very useful in times like this.

do this next, and let us know where its coming from

good luck
Old 02-09-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
Nixon1
Registered Member

Well first, I mistyped in the first one..couldnt remember. There is BLACK/BROWN MUCK floating in my radiator...it's disgusting. Haven't checked my oil yet for coolant. My heater core is not connected...the 2 tubes from the heater core have no hoses going to them, and there's a little bypass job done under there..hoses and plugged fittings here and there. One thing is plugged with a screw..don't even know what the hell it is, I forget.

Now..cooling system pressure tester you say? Well damn, that sounds extremely convenient..I'll have to check this out. Autozone is like 5 mins from home or less..it's great.

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-09-2003, 10:36 PM   #6
tommyinla
Registered Member

brown stuff in your radiator almost always means a blown head gasket, unless the guy put water into the oil fill, thinking it was for the radiator...

a couple of other things you can check are:

1) pull one of the valve cover gaskets, preferably the one for the head for the side that you saw the water come from. if you see the same brown stuff, then you have a bad head gasket.

2) do a compression test on the motor. if one of them is much lower than the others, than that cylinder is most likely leaking into your water passage.

67 Mustang 289. Holley Red electric fuel pump, 4 speed toploader, dual exhaust, torq thrust IIs (real soon!)
tommyinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #7
Nixon1
Registered Member

So you have to pull a valve cover in order to do a compression test for a bad head gasket??
Also, just for my own information..with a blown head gasket, what about that would cause the engine to misfire in low rpms only? (Less than 1000)

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-09-2003, 10:46 PM   #8
tommyinla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixon1
So you have to pull a valve cover in order to do a compression test for a bad head gasket??
Also, just for my own information..with a blown head gasket, what about that would cause the engine to misfire in low rpms only? (Less than 1000)
no, you don't have to pull the valve cover to check compression... you do that by unscrewing each spark plug and checking that cylinder's compression one at a time... what i meant was that, if you pulled the one valve cover and saw the same brown junk, you would know that you had a problem...

as far as a misfire is concerned, if that cylinder was in bad enough shape (compression wise) from a blown head gasket, then it probably wouldn't fire...

67 Mustang 289. Holley Red electric fuel pump, 4 speed toploader, dual exhaust, torq thrust IIs (real soon!)
Old 02-09-2003, 10:49 PM   #9
tommyinla
Registered Member

and then there's the final test...

make sure that your radiator is up to the correct level, leave the radiator cap of, and spin over the engine (you might want to pull the coil wire so it won't actually start). if water shoots out of the radiator, then you know for certain that you have a blown head gasket.

Old 02-10-2003, 01:50 AM   #10
Ron1
Registered Member

Pull all your plugs, and roll the motor over. The two holes the water comes flying out of is where the head gasket is blown. If it is the headgaskets, there will be water in the cylinders. This way you will at least know which side it is on.

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:57 PM   #11
Nixon1
Registered Member

I know for sure it's the passenger side because about 10 secs after I shut the car off, looking under the hood, the passenger side below the valve cover, in the back, shot out very pressurized water vapor...twice.

So..what you're saying is..disconnect the coil, and when the engine is cold pop the rad cap and use a ratchet to turn the crank...and the water level in the radiator will rise or overflow if the head gasket is blown? Am I reading that right?

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-10-2003, 02:06 PM   #12
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Quote:
So..what you're saying is..disconnect the coil, and when the engine is cold pop the rad cap and use a ratchet to turn the crank...and the water level in the radiator will rise or overflow if the head gasket is blown? Am I reading that right?
I think he means, pull the coil wire, and crank the car with the key, this way the car wont start, but you need some heavy cranking power tp push that compression into your coolant. It'll also SUCK the coolant out on the intake stroke I would imagine.. so I guess the idea is you'd see SOMETHING happen in the radiator, weather the coolant went up or down.
-as
Old 02-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #13
Ron1
Registered Member

Unless of course the cylinder is full of water...with the piston at btc. Then it wont turn over at all, and could result in other damage.

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #14
tommyinla
Registered Member

So..what you're saying is..disconnect the coil, and when the engine is cold pop the rad cap and use a ratchet to turn the crank...and the water level in the radiator will rise or overflow if the head gasket is blown? Am I reading that right? [/B][/QUOTE]

no, crank the engine like you normally would, only without the coil connected... you will see coolant shoot straight out of the radiator... hard to miss it!

Old 02-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #15
Nixon1
Registered Member

Maybe I will tomorrow..but..I see what you're saying, but I don't get how that works...what would make that happen?

BTW-Car is going into shop tomorrow afternoon for FULL look-over, inspection, diagnostics..the works..the guy was recommended by several shops including the local drag racing equipment shop...over the phone he says he doubts it's my head gasket..says the car would run like holy hell with it blown, which it doesn't. Can any of you confirm or deny that? Misses below 1000 rpms but has a smooth idle and purrs like a kitten all the way up the powerband.

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-11-2003, 09:49 AM   #16
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

well there's a couple things that can happen with a head gasket you can blow it between cylindars, you can blow it from a water jacket towards the cylindar or you can blow from a water jacket out the side of the head.
My girlfriends 4 cyl dodge shadow blew out the side , so it woudl leak coolant all over, but it ran fine and didnt even smoke.

so the cranking method MAYNOT show a head gasket problem if you're not getting compression into the coolant...

but if you are... when your piston comes up, it'll compress that air, it'll want to come out anywhere it can.. and if the gasket is blown out, it'll leak out that hole and get into the coolant system and it will displace coolant... the coolant will only have one place to go ... out your rad cap.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:57 AM   #17
IMPULSERACING
Registered Member

Thats BS You couls have a blown head gasket and the car still running fine. We have a car that we spray. It had a blown head gasket the last couple of races and it still ran real good. It was only off a couple of tens and a couple of MPH. I would say it's probably a head gasket. I had a bad one and it had a pressure mist the same way yours does.

Either way let us know when you find out.
92' LX Hatch (New Combo Coming Soon) Long-Tubes, Off-road H-Pipe, Pro-Dumps, Auburn Pro, 373:1, Strange Axels c-clip elims, control arms, supersubs, 50/50's, Moroso rear trick springs, no sway bars, 5-Lug Pro-Stars 3 1/2", 8 1/2 26x10.5" MT ET streets, N20

91' LX 5.0 Convertable: CobraR Hood, Cobra Spoiler, Cobra R Rims

2001 Expedition: Brush Guard, Clear Corners, Gen 1 Tail Lites, Carbin Fiber Dash Trim, Billet Aluminum A/C Knobs, Flame Gauges
IMPULSERACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:54 PM   #18
Nixon1
Registered Member

I will...I'm expecting a phone call tonight telling me exactly what's wrong, but I completely expect to hear a blown head gasket, in which case, I'll be banging my head on the table....

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-12-2003, 04:36 PM   #19
Nixon1
Registered Member

Well good news and bad news. Here's what we were told: Head gasket is fine. Never leaked. Bad things:
*#8 cylinder is down to 125 in compression, all 7 others are good (between 155 and 160)
*4 fuel injectors are shorted and dumping fuel
*Coolant temp sensor malfunctioning, causing car to run rich..I think he said it was sticking in choke mode..
*Needs t-stat/switch
*IAC is screwy
*Throttle Position Sensor is bad, checked it with a voltmeter
*Needs various drivetrain parts
*Differential cover is leaking
*Needs u-joints
*Lower control arms and bushings
*Harmonic balancer is shot, needs to be replaced right away
*Radiator mounted incorrectly

Furthermore..it doesn't have a cam in it..previous owner lied..motor is all stock, and he actually knew the owner of the car previously, the one before the guy I bought it off of, which also lived in or very near my city, and he said the car was nitroused (hence the safety-covered toggle switch near shifter)

That's all for now.. Dad is fronting me all the money so it's gonna be repaired in a few weeks...god I'm gonna owe him so much.. Very rough estimate: $1000
Not bad eh?? Let's hope it stays that low....

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Old 02-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

OK is it just me or did I miss the reason the coolant was shooting out from the back of your head