MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2002, 01:25 AM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Default 351 block max power

Pretty self explanatory how much can a stock block hold. With A Girdle.?

Where would i go about getting a aftermarket block for a small block ford anyway and i mean a pretty stout one if possible.

Thanks

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

We will have to see what pkrwud says, he is great on the numbers.....

For an early 69-70 block like mine, their nickle content is fairly good, so I have seen 1,000 hp mills hold up with girdles and dry sumps. If going wet sump, you must use a crank scrapper, 14.00 dollars, a windage tray, 149.00 and a girdle is highly recommended as would be head and main studs. Just keep the overbore to .030 if possible. Make the cylinder walls too thin and you will run HOT.

Are you going to use the E cam or the X cam on your engine? Either one should be pretty hot, but you might want to cook this up a bit if someone makes a computer friendly higher lift cam.

For Later blocks like 71 and up, ford reduced the nickle content in the blocks. If going above 600 hp you might consider the Ford Motorsport block in the Motorsport catalog. It uses the splayed 4 bolt mains, has extra material around the mains and the rails. These are good to over 1,000 HP. If you are running or sustaining high rpms, you must use a crank scraper.

Someone mentioned the ultra cool Dart small block ford block. I have not seen it or read about it yet, but some 7 second guys said it is the bomb.

Hope this helps some. Don't go cheap on a crank if turning more than 600 hp. And buy a name quality crank, not a relabled unit.

Have you given up on the turbo idea, or do you plan to use hair dryers on the 351?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:42 AM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

What type of 351? 351C, 351M, 351W, 351W SVO?

I heard the 351W SVO is pretty strong. That is what I am looking to but in my 94. I am going to put 185 or 205 AFR heads and trickflow intake. With Novi 2000 blower on it.

Waynne's speed has 351 short and long blocks. Not sure of their reliability. Well good luck.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:14 PM   #4
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

GodStang,

The 351 Windsor block 1969 or 1970 has high nickle content to support the factory 325 hp cobra jet engine. I do not recommend the 351 Cleveland block to anyone.....No Nada End of Story!!!!

The SVO 351 block is good to 800 hp. I hear the Dart block is good past 1000.00 Kevin Price, What are you running? I know Eric4 Nitrous is getting less fond of the SVO block.

I do not mean to stomp on AFR, but you should see the hassles they give you when their parts are wrong. I will not deal with them anymore, I would rather stick needles in my eye.

The Trick Flow R head is totally awesome. In a street fighter 427 block my local motorsport shop dyno'd the heads at 641 HP on gasoline only. He got 800+ horsepower with NOS and had not touched the ports.

Trick Flow is awesome to work with. They make the best water jackets of any FORD head I have ever cut apart. Full water jackets around the spark plugs, with ample water around the cylinder.

I had one guy on a thread say that his racer buddy friend said he didn't like Trick Flow because the water jackets restricted his porting technique.

Well, if you are building the engine right, the concentration should be on the exhaust side, cause the intake is not this head's issue. Just clean it up of gubbers and work the exhaust.

Then run the meanest high lift, low duration cam you can fit in the block and you are ready to take home the trophies.

Doesn't get easier, or more fun than this.