MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2002, 06:41 AM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default 351 Conversion

I'm sure it's been addressed a million times, but....
Lets say I got myself a 351 short block, would all the stock 302 heads and intake fit or would I need to get new EVERYTHING... not that I wouldnt anyway... but just for comparison, is it not the same block? If it IS, then everything should just bolt on right? I'm thinking this might be a nice winter project.

-as
ChunkFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 06:54 AM   #2
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Not the same block....The 351 is a bout 1 1/2 inch wider and about 1 inch taller....so exhaust systems need some "massaging". Heads will fit and upper intake will fit but sine the block is wider a different lower manifold will need to be used. Headers will not swap and you will also need a different oil pan. Need a different distributor too.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:05 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

So, it looks like if I DO this, I should just get a long block... when did they stop making the 351? I assume you can get all sorts of parts for them still right?
-as
Old 06-05-2002, 07:08 AM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

If you get a short block, I will have a 351W GT-40 intake available, along with 24# injectors and a 75mm MAF sensor to match. I'm upgrading.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:13 AM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Ah... my evil twin... so you stuffed the 351 in that car eh?

I've swapped motors on my 72 Olds, but never on some NEW car full of electronics and full of alot of other junk for that matter... I could sit in the engine compartment on the olds and drop the motor in...

Was it a pain in the *** or what? do the 302 motor mounts work and stuff like that?

Actulay now that I think about it.. if I'll be using a different block, what dose the 351 stoke to? 398 or something?
-as
Old 06-05-2002, 11:38 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I have a 393 stroker, balanced and blueprinted. The car was a former 9 sec drag car (so you can imagine that nightmare I had with wiring issues) that I bought without an engine or tranny. I "found" the MAF near the driver's side fog light so the previous owner must of had some type of turbo setup. I pulled the 351 block from a '69 Cougar and had it stroked to 393. You can actually stroke them up to 427 if you know what you are doing.

Believe me, if I can do it, you can too. Getting my car to the point where you see it in that little picture was fun, and really frustrating at times. I'll be more than happy to help you along with all the other great guys around here. And yes, the mounts from a 302 will fit but you want to get new ones due to the extra weight. Some people suggest convertible mounts but I just forked out the extra $$ for a set of Energy Suspension. What you need to do is set a budget, sit down and add up the numbers, and see if it's worth it. For me it was simple decision because I wasn't swapping, I had a shell to begin with (but lots of experience with an 87 5.0 that I ended up selling) so a 351 was the best bet. For others, the decision isn't so simple.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 06-05-2002, 03:25 PM   #7
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Since you've been there... ballpark the 351 long block setup... I mean was it about 3000? I just find that this 302 with the stock gears (I guess are 2.73 right?) is a pig.. I'm used to my old car with a 350 in a HUGE body, 72 Cutlass, and it just had so much more off the line, though granted it had 3.42s... so I suppose my first upgrade should be gears eh?
-as
Old 06-06-2002, 11:40 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Let's see, 3K probably got me a balanced and blueprinted block, alum. edelbrock heads, and the rotating assembly which consisted of SCAT crank, SRP pistons, SFI 157 tooth Flywheel, damper, but not much else. Now if you wanted to stay with the normal 351 c.i. then you probably could get a longblock assembly with iron heads. Where I ran into the extra costs was with the stroker and EFI setup. I spent a ton of $$ on my car. My fiancee says too much but what the hell does she know :-) My main objective was to have the fastest street legal mustang in this area and I think I've accomplished that but until I hit the strip I won't be sure.

Regarding the gears, I think it's be a great idea because if you do the 351 you'll only benefit, right.