MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 PM   #1
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default 351 questions

It has been awhile since I have been on this board, but I have been real busy with a fox project I have going. I have a 351w and want to know those opinions on making the change. I know that fuel injected is really the way I want to go with this. Will the stock fuel rails work? I know that I need a new distributor to do this. The motor is currently carbed with the duraspark in it. I have plans to buy the trick flow intake and was thinking of either the trick flow tw heads or the windsor jrs. It has stock windsor heads that have been shaved. But, that is all I know about them. I know that any aftermarket head will be better. Has anyone coverted a flat tappet to a roller before? This should be all I need since I have the necessary brackets and a plentiful fuel system for it. Thanks.

If I change my mind, what intake and carb would you guys recommend for a street car?

Last edited by Ieatcamaros; 09-09-2002 at 07:39 PM..
Ieatcamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros

Back to the top
Old 09-10-2002, 10:32 PM   #3
HotRoddin
cranky old man

My opinion would be a 750 on the carb if you are gonna go anyplace but stock ... and the performer RPM ( a good all around dual plane ) for street use.
As far as the heads go, either one will make a good streetable head, although i'd be tempted to move on up to the world sr. (Roush 200's), that would leave you alot more room to move up the performance ladder. Now the roller conversion ? I'm not sure i understand why you would want to go to that expense for a fairly mild street motor. There are lots of very good flat tappet cams on the market from mild to wild .... don't let the marketing people convince you that you have to have a roller cam to make horsepower just so they can sell you something more expensive !thats my 2 cents worth
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
SlowGT
Registered Member

I've been researching turning a 351W into a roller cam, too. To my understanding, all you need to do is tap the lifter valley for the bolts that hold the spider down. OR use aftermarket lifters like crower or lunati, then the spider isn't necessary. The major drawback is that you're limited to 'retrofit' cams. I'm not sure why that is either. Stock fuel rails should work with no problem. A 351 efi intake should be tapped the same as a factory intake. I'd go for the SRs also. I've got a set of well worked JRs and they're awesome heads on my 302. However, now I'm looking in the direction of 347,392 or 408 + a 175-250 shot and there's just no way the JRs are gonna flow enough air. Look to the engines future as you select your parts. I got my JRs for $400 bare with a set of Crane Hi-Intensity roller rockers. I'm a sucker for a good deal.

Good luck.

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:11 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros

For 400 hp, I believe the windsor jr's will be plenty. I really have my head set on fuel injection (cold mornings). What I am going to do is put the windsor jr's or trick flow tw heads. Trick Flow 351 intake. 24# injectors, 65mm tb, 73 C&L m. a. sensor. I was wanting to use the stock(302) fuel rails, distributor, and the A9L computer. I will probably get the ford 351 swap headers. This 351 is bored .040 and is currently carbed with a 650 and a regular old 4 hole intake, and shaved stock heads. It has some sort of a street/strip cam in it. It lopes when it idles. The combo I named above should get me where I want to be. I am leanin towards the windsor jr's because of the smaller combustion chamber. I can mill the trick flows if want. But I really don't want to take a brand new head and start whackin away on it. I also plan on using 1.6 rollers.

What do you guys think? Carb or injection? Thanks a bunch!!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:34 PM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

I just got done going through my engine since it was out. I replaced the 24# injectors with 30#ers since 24# didn't seem to be enough. I have the TFS TW heads and just switched from a GT-40 intake to TFS 351W intake. I replaced my E303 cam with a TFS Stage 2 cam. Stock fuel rails will definitely work. They actually fit much better on the TFS intake than the GT40. I was considering going with 1 3/4 inch long tubes but decided to stick with the Mac 351 swap headers hooked to a 2.5" off-road x-pipe.

If you're not in any hurry, I could let you know how it all works together. I plan to take it to a dyno once I get it running.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:54 PM   #7
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Well keep in mind if that block is already .040 over ... its pretty much done. So unless you think it has plenty of life left in it you better look for another block ... or at very least if your gonna cut it beyond .040 have it sonic checked first.

As far as the carb / inj. goes, are you willing to trade convenience for simplicity?

I'm still puzzled about the roller cam ?? a set of good Crane anti-pump up hydraulics are about $69.00 and they're good to about 7,000 RPM ... a set of Crane retrofit hydraulic roller lifters are about $392.00
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote