MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-08-2001, 08:35 PM   #1
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Question 351 W Ford and GM TH200-R4

I've had a rebuilt Grand National TH200-4R sitting in my basement from back when I was a GM guy. Now I'm a Ford man and I was wondering who makes an adapter plate for a 351W engine to TH200-4R transmission? Kenny Brown ran a 5.0 bolted to a 200-4R years ago. Maybe I'll call him to find out more info.
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 10:08 PM   #2
stanglx347

Question

I used to own a 87 Grand National, all I can say is GOOD GRIEF!! you want to put that big fat tranny in your mustang!!??

Well, best of luck, all I know is that having been a member of a Grand National Club and owning one for a bit, that Trans always gave everyone a heck of a time as far as reliability is concerned.

I know you want to put it to use, but I am sure you can find some GN owner to buy it right up, then take the money and get a nice Trans like a C-4 from Transmission-Specialty up in Pennsylvania. But hey, that's just my opinion.

James
Old 07-09-2001, 01:08 AM   #3
joey50gt
Registered Member

Talking

one of my good friends has a GN and his tranny is bad *** it shifts hard and there is no sliping in the tranny at all and he is
running low 13's high 12's with traction he has to much low end grunt for street tires any more.
Stanglx347 why did you get rid of your GN those cars are bad *** and easy as hell to get good power out of you cant beat the power of a turbo.(i am not doging on 5.0's just to let you guys know)
joey50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 06:34 AM   #4
stanglx347

Well, the GN was a very fun car. And perhaps I am letting my OWN frustration with this trans cloud my advice. I did know many GN owners who had a great deal of success with that Transmission.

I will say, that anyone thinking of putting a TH200-4R trans into a mustang, jump on over to the Buick Web site and browse the message boards their. Those guys know those tranny's inside and out.

With the right shop to do the work, you can get allot of enjoyment out of one.

I just think it would be best to stick with a ford AOD and build it up. My friend did that with his Mustang and drag raced the pizz out of it, no problems.

P.S.
I got rid of it because I wanted to go drag racing and could not bring myself to tear-into my GN and all the Mustang guys looked like they were having a heck of a allot of fun at the dragstrip. My car sold recently for almost $12,000. The reason being, very low miles AND it was in mint condition. Funny thing, seems that the most valuable GN's are the stockers with low miles, another reason I didn't want to really modify it.

Old 07-09-2001, 08:43 PM   #5
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I haven't heard anything from the email I sent to Kenny Brown. Do you guys remember the Outlaw XS from Kenny Brown's Project Industries? It was a '90s Mustang GT with a 385-425hp Vortech V-1 5.0 motor fitted with a 6 speed or GM 200-4R auto. Someone has to know something about these cars.
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 01:11 AM   #6
macx
Registered Member

Just read a good article about a very solid
beefed 200-R4 behind a hopped 455 Buick
and those are torque monsters. The trans
was done by Art Carr who also happens to
do lots of Ford stuff. Maybe try him. www.artcarr.com I think. The article said
the trans as Carr prepped it was good to
way big torque and hp numbers - forget
exactly what.