MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Question 351W headache or good idea?

hey waz up guys, i got a friend that has a carburated 351 windsor from an older bronco, he thinks it was around an 88. ne wayz i have a 89 5.0 and i wanted to know whether it would be feasible to put the 351 in my car. i know i would have to change the manifold to fuel injected but i really dont know what else might have to be done. i have a good feeling this has been done before and if any one has ne feedback on whether or not it is a good idea i would really like to know.wat else would i have to do to make it work well? the 351 has been rebuilt with 0 miles on it and is just sitting in his backyard tarped. my engine has a lot of miles on it (152,000) and i wanted to either rebuild it or go for a brand new one. a rebuilt 351 sounds like a good time and im getting it for $1000. im willing to spend the money to make it fit but i want to do the right thing. wat do you guys think? i would really apreciate any type of responses. thankx, danny.

oh yeah - he doesnt have any paper work on it but will the vin # tell me the story on the engine?
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

OK. Let's take this one step at a time. At the very least you'll need 351 swap headers, oil pan, intake, and a hood to fit into a fox mustang. Also, if this engine is carbed than it'll never pass emissions so gettting the intake mainfold is a good idea. Also, you'll need to upgrade your current TB, MAF, and injectors. Maybe even your fuel system. It's work but if you're dedicated it'll be worth it. Let's see what other's have to say but I think that 1K is a lot for a 351.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:30 PM   #3
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

thanks for the info man, i have already upgraded my fuel pump to 190 lph. the upper-lower intake i was planning on changing eventually. if its a lot of work and its worth it then im down for the swap. basically my main question is then would the advantages of the 351 be greater than sticking with the 302 after a rebuild or maybe even rebuilding the 302 to 347 or 331? does ne body have any input on the 331 or 347 vs the 351? i heard a lot of positives and negatives about changing displacement. id love to hear from nebody. thankx
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
Old 04-16-2002, 12:50 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Are you ready to start a war?? OK Here we go...and this is straight out of the newest 5.0 MM&SF mag. The advantages of the 351 are straightforward. You get a better, more powerful engine with bigger main caps and a better rod to stroke ratio and taller deck. The disadvantages are obvious. The weight and the $$ needed to be spent on the swap. The disadvantages of the 347 is that it's a perceived oil burner, has limited growth, poor rod to stroke ratio, etc. hope this helps
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Old 04-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

ne one else got an opinion about what i should do?
is there any reference books i can look at that can describe what will be involved in the swap? thankz

ps: ya, i want to start a war!!! j/k dont shoot
Old 04-16-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

oh yeah , is 1000 dollars too much? its been rebuilt with 0 miles on it. and he's suppose to be my friend.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:02 PM   #7
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Well I'll give ya my opinion on the price (along with a little story). About three years ago I was looking for a 302 to replace the blown one in my 69 stang. I found a guy that had paid 1200 for a rebuilt one from a company in Phoenix, AZ. It was bored .040 over with GT40 untouched heads, with 0 miles on it. It had been just sitting under a tarp for months and he had no plans of using it because he didn't even have his car anymore. He was asking 700 for it, but I talked him down to 500. I didn't know this guy at all. Now I consider that a deal. About 6 months ago, I bought a long block 302 with Edelbrock aluminum ported and polished heads, 2030 cam, 1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, high volume oil pump, etc. for 1000. I would've given him that much just for the heads, RR's, pushrods and cam. That was a friend whom I knew for a long time. Now that bottom end is in my garage under a tarp, because my bottom end is in better shape with less miles.

So to summarize my opinion, YES 1000 is too much for a stock rebuilt 351W. IMHO

Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Yeah man, 1K is too much for that setup. It really is. My Uncle got a rebuilt 351 from Crown Vic Police car and a rebuit C6 tranny for his 53 Ford pickup for 1100 bucks. Sorry