MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2000, 11:00 PM   #1
Maxout
Registered Member

Post 351W rebuild and install

Hi, folks. I am beginning a rebuild and modification to a 351w. I hope to put it in my'65 Mustang. I want to bring the HP up by using 351c heads. Any hints on how to identify a head from a 351c? What other sugestion can anyone give to improve performance? This is a project my 14 year old son and I are doing so I dont want to get to far fetched. How about intake and carb? I would like to go 4bbl. Cam and lifters? The motor is from a '79 Mercury and has the computer controled distributor. What sort of replacement do I need? How 'bout cooling? A larger radiator than whats cooling mt 289 I'm sure. Any help would be appretiated. I hope to post pics on my web pabe as the prodject progresses. Thanks!
Maxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2000, 11:50 PM   #2
Ron1
Registered Member

I would go with aftermarket alum. heads from TFS (Twisted Wedge) or maybe the Edelbrock Victors to get the weight off the nose. Edelbrock has some proven power packages available as well for the small block Ford. If I am not mistaken the "C" heads will not work on the Windsor without some major rework. The Windsor deck is also a lot taller than the 289, so it will require different(spendy) headers. Its a tight squeeze but it can be done. There are some excellent books on the market today, like "Ford Performance" and many articles in Mustang Monthly and Mustangs Illustrated on how to go about what it is you are trying to do. I am sure they can provide back issues on the step by step. You could modify the existing radiator from a 2 or 3 core to a 4 core. That should be adequate. I would also suggest a 9 inch rear and beefed up third member end to handle the increase in torque. Also install subframe connectors, and maybe some South Side Machine lift bars to keep the tires from burning off since the 65/66 Coupes were the lightest Mustangs ever built.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2000, 04:23 PM   #3
Veloxity
Registered Member

World Products makes a GREAT set of Cast Iron Windsor heads for low $$$. (<$565 in summit) They are 2.02/1.60's with a 64cc chamber.

Mustangs Unlimited sells a nice 4 core radiator for low $$$.

------------------
'66 Coupe - heavy mods
http://www.acsol.net/~intruder/66coupe.html
Veloxity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 10:53 PM   #4
coolstang
Registered Member

you need to do some work on the clev.heads,such as drilling the water passages for the intake,and also use a boss 302 intake.(Bogas boss 302 motor)
coolstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2000, 02:07 PM   #5
macx
Registered Member

check out www.wabba.net site for the cleavor (cleveland heads on windsor) info and parts. You're better off with more modern design heads, alum if you can afford for weight. check oemfordparts.com for ford GT-40 alum heads / prices. cleavor manifolds expensive. also not the best street engine, too large ports and valves, and inefficient combustion chambers compared to any modern head (no quench on 2bbl and on open chamber 4bbl heads, only on closed chamber 4bbl heads - rare - and4bbl heads are WAY too big for any decent street rpm range throttle response. even stock pre-67 (before smog air bump in exhaust ports) 289/302 heads with next size larger valves with pocket cleanup and port match better.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote